IGNORED

Compute! type-ins available for download?

FifthPlayer

I'm looking for a downloadable version of a type-in game from Compute! magazine. It's called "Ski!" and it appeared in the February 1983 issue.

https://archive.org/stream/1983-02-compute-magazine/Compute_Issue_033_1983_Feb#page/n81/mode/2up

It also appears in Compute!'s First Book of Atari Games, though the type-in procedure is way more complicated.

https://archive.org/stream/ataribooks-computes-first-book-of-atari-games/computesfirstbookofatarigames#page/n185/mode/2up

Atarimania has an entry for this game, but no download file.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ski_6293.html

Does anyone know where I could get an ATR of this game for download? Is there a site somewhere that specializes in archiving type-in games? Thanks.

Edited by FifthPlayer

Hmmm,

found a game named "Mountain Skiing" in my collection, not sure if this is the one you are searching for (but I have two versions of it, maybe one from Compute! mag. and one from the Compute! book).

Anyways, here is my small collection of Compute! type-in listings, as well as some texts that cover the type-in listings and all other A8 content in Compute mag.

COMPUTE.zip

• Like 1

It's not "Mountain Skiing", but on disk CPUTE83C.ATR in that collection, there's a file called SLALOM.BAS which is the game I'm looking for. It looks and plays similar to the 'Skiing" game on the Intellivision, if you're familiar with that.

Thanks!

Edited by FifthPlayer

Attached is an ATR with both the listing "SKI.LST" and the BASIC "SKI.BAS".

I can't remember if this was the new type-in version or not.

I can't tell any difference between your version and the one from the COMPUTE.zip archive posted earlier.

They both run well under Altirra Basic - it speeds up the course generation and makes the game run more fluid. It has a few flaws - dodgy collision detection for one - but it's a nice standin for Intellivision's Skiing on the A8.

I can't tell any difference between your version and the one from the COMPUTE.zip archive posted earlier.

They both run well under Altirra Basic - it speeds up the course generation and makes the game run more fluid. It has a few flaws - dodgy collision detection for one - but it's a nice standin for Intellivision's Skiing on the A8.

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't realize the COMPUTE.zip archive had the game.

This is one I typed in back in the 80's. I'd like to have the newer one too. Maybe I (or someone) will get around to typing that one in.

Hi there,

Maybe I (or someone) will get around to typing that one in.

I forgot I actually typed in all the programs from this book years ago.

Attached is the disk image with the SKI! from COMPUTE's! First Book of Atari Games.

The image contains the listings of the original programs (i.e. LOADER.LST and SKI.LST). It also contains SKI.BAS which is the image after running the LOADER.LST and SKI.LST so you can RUN "SKI.BAS". As stated in the book, this only works with Atari BASIC Rev. A.

It's pretty much the same game but it gives you the ability to scroll through the mountain before playing.

COMPUTEs First Book of Atari Games - Ski.atr

Hi there,

I forgot I actually typed in all the programs from this book years ago.

Attached is the disk image with the SKI! from COMPUTE's! First Book of Atari Games.

The image contains the listings of the original programs (i.e. LOADER.LST and SKI.LST). It also contains SKI.BAS which is the image after running the LOADER.LST and SKI.LST so you can RUN "SKI.BAS". As stated in the book, this only works with Atari BASIC Rev. A.

It's pretty much the same game but it gives you the ability to scroll through the mountain before playing.

I'll give this one a try. The first two versions would scroll backwards through the mountain as it generated it, curious to see how this new one behaves. I have a 130XE with no Basic Rev A cart so I'll probably just stick with RUN "SKI.BAS".

This game is one of the more memorable Compute! type-ins from BITD. My friends and I typed this one in and we played it together.

• Like 1

Okay, I tried running "SKI.BAS" from the latest ATR "Compute's First Book of Atari Games", and it failed in all four BASICs I have on hand - the built-in Atari XE Basic, OSS Basic XL, OSS Basic XE and Altirra Basic. Each of them gave an error of some sort and the program crashed. BXE got closest, it put up a white screen and then the program hung.

Seems like that third version really does need the Rev A cart.

Edited by FifthPlayer