IGNORED

ABBUC SWC 2016: Dimo's Quest - The Dungeon

8Bitjunkie

I was just watching the teaser video for the game and Dimo fell into a small hole and died and a text screen pops up telling you that "you know you can't fly". Yeah, maybe not but Dimo's the first frog I've seen that can't even hop over a tiny hole. I guess his strengths lie elsewhere :D

Bob

• Like 2

I was just watching the teaser video for the game and Dimo fell into a small hole and died and a text screen pops up telling you that "you know you can't fly". Yeah, maybe not but Dimo's the first frog I've seen that can't even hop over a tiny hole. I guess his strengths lie elsewhere :D

Bob

Yeah, you have to accept the strong curse of Kayem, limiting a Frog's abilities ;)

• Like 1

Bob

Well, considering that he can not jump, he can not even swim. :-D

But! He is green...

Edited by 8Bitjunkie

• 1 month later...

I'd really like to get this game! Is the cartridge version available yet? Will it all be sold as a collector's edition?

Thanx :-)

The Spin-Off Game "Dimo's Dungeon" will only be released on disk in a boxed Version similar to the Dimo's Quest Lurch Edition...

But no release date for boxed version yet (hopefully this year) - free download is 22th oct 2016 just after the ABBUC contest was held...

The upcoming game "Dimo's Quest - Die fünf Königreiche" (Five Kindoms) is the one to be released on cart. But there will be a few Levels in Dimo's Dungeon style as well on this cart. Sorry, but no release date, too. (hopefully this year).

The cart will only be available without a box. But there will be an (english) boxed disk version where you can put in the cart as well...

​sorry for the delay of cart version, live sets bad priorities sometimes :-(

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

post-38160-0-99418400-1477218572_thumb.png

Mario, all the level designers and I say thank you for your votes and your interest in our game!
You make our hearts sing :-)

Here is the game (with fire button patch on title picture, PAL only, sorry):
Dimos_Dungeon_asc2016_version_with_patch1.atr

The Story:

Two years have passed since our little hero Dimo has mastered his Quest in ABBUC Land.
As you know, Dimo had to collect all sweets of the Kindom Greenfoot to be allowed to marry the charming Princess Dori.
After that they lived happily thereafter till the grumbling Squirrel showed up, looted the sweet chamber and spread all the candy in his twenty Dungeons.

Princess Dori is inconsolable, and so Dimo has to take again a challenge to face the grumbling squirrel.
Help Dimo to get his candy back again!

Boxed version:
There will be an english deluxe cardboard boxed version, but give me some time...

Have fun!

Thomas

• Like 13

Thanks for this very colorful platformer. Although the game engine maybe almost the same, it plays different to Dimo's Quest. Fantastic sound and graphics, which looks a bit better than in Dimo's Quest. What's more, there is a nice parallax scrolling effect.

And congratulations to the first (and last!) place.

If you make a boxed version, I want one!

• Like 2

Congrats for the 1st place Thomas. That was tight. You deserved this, but I'll try to beat you next year anyway... ;)

To all other participants: Very well done submissions regardless of the rank.

I know how it feels being in 5th or 6th place. Don't let this discourage you and keep up the fever:

• Like 4

attachicon.gifDimos_Dungeon_English_klein.png

Mario, all the level designers and I say thank you for your votes and your interest in our game!

You make our hearts sing :-)

Here is the game (with fire button patch on title picture, PAL only, sorry):

attachicon.gifDimos_Dungeon_asc2016_version_with_patch1.atr

The Story:

Two years have passed since our little hero Dimo has mastered his Quest in ABBUC Land.

As you know, Dimo had to collect all sweets of the Kindom Greenfoot to be allowed to marry the charming Princess Dori.

After that they lived happily thereafter till the grumbling Squirrel showed up, looted the sweet chamber and spread all the candy in his twenty Dungeons.

Princess Dori is inconsolable, and so Dimo has to take again a challenge to face the grumbling squirrel.

Help Dimo to get his candy back again!

Boxed version:

There will be an english deluxe cardboard boxed version, but give me some time...

Have fun!

Thomas

The Dimo games look great. Any chance of an NTSC version? I have the PAL chips, but my monitor goes monochrome if I use them :(

Once upon a time coders moved the code to allow it to run on both, and that lead to two versions of a game, sometimes that meant two completely different cartridge runs... but in this day and age... to re-code with the structure re organized for timing racing the vbi isn't really the issue... it's just the desire and time to do so that prevents it.... almost everything that was called impossible has been either re-structured or patched to work on NTSC and PAL visa versa... in fact thanks to the very nice people here on Atari age even timing and color differences for the lap times on race games and shooters have been corrected. It is my sincerest wish that excellent games such as Dimos etc get that same treatment... so far they haven't but I still hold hope it will happen before my time expires...

_The Doctor_

_Blaser__

_Commander Adama__

_The Road Warrior__

and whatever other alias you all knew me as :)

• Like 2

The Dimo games look great. Any chance of an NTSC version? I have the PAL chips, but my monitor goes monochrome if I use them :(

Just replace the ANTIC, leave the NTSC GTIA. Most PAL software will run just fine, with a color picture if your monitor will sync to a 50hz signal.

A great deal of todays televisions don't handle ntsc-50 and the idea that you can scoop up crt's capable and readily all over the place or easily and economically is not the case either.

Wouldn't it just be nice to do what has always been done and restructure / patch / adjust the software... a soldering iron and chip swaps might be the way for some of us... and finding the perfect crt MIGHT be possible....

Most people are not like us, they may still enjoy retro machines/games but are now being shut out from the fun and after that happens enough times they simply despair and toss the computer in the trash, donate it to the goodwill or ebay it out... slowly killing our base and costing us precious hardware.

• Like 1

If you write for NTSC, you lose some CPU cycles. This is important for some software. It is also difficult and expensive to find a good CRT monitor.

How about this: Start writing 816 aware code that detects what CPU you have, and loads appropriate code for the time critical areas depending on what CPU you have. That may be enough to offset the loss of cycles with NTSC.

I guess illegals could be used (I just hate to say that, but if it will run on an 802/816, then who cares).

Buying an Antonia is cheaper than replacing chips and monitor.

But, also please don't require RAM above $FFFF, because some 802 and 816 users have no linear RAM.

Please be aware that this is only an idea for future work. Of course I don't expect anything to be re-written for 802/816.

But it sure would be great if it happened some day :)

Edit: I am still looking for a monitor...

Edited by Kyle22

• 7 months later...

A long time passed and sadly not much progress happend to Dimo...

But there is light:

John von Neumann made a drawing for the cardboard box for Dimo's Dungeon, so there will be a boxed disk version in the near future. Thanx, John!

post-38160-0-29672300-1496675593.png

the Dimo's Quest: Five Kingdoms module is still work in progress, but the 16 megabyte PCB is up und running now thanx to tfhh.

post-38160-0-37426100-1496676332_thumb.jpg post-38160-0-93481600-1496676407.jpg

Now i "just" have to complete the code.
Still expecting a 2017 release... (Duke Nukem needed 14 years, right? So i have another 10 years left now :D)

so stay tuned...

and if you wanna hear me singing my favorite song, click here

post-38160-0-27518400-1496675207.png

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 7

Hello Thomas

What's the difference between the two?

Sincerely

Mathy

The Module (Dimo's Quest: Die fünf Königreiche) is a superset of Dimo's Quest in ABBUC Land, The New Years Disk levels and Dimo's Dungeon + tons of sampled voice and cut scenes.... (=There will be only one module including all Dimo Games in one)

Edited by 8Bitjunkie
  • Like 1

Hello Thomas

And the 16MB PCB?

Sincerely

Mathy

Hey Mathy,

i am not sure, if i understand your question.

There is only one project with hardware:

"The Cart" = "The Module" = 16 Megabyte PCB = "Dimo's Quest: Die Fünf Königreiche" (Five Kingdoms)"

Hello Thomas

If the module and the 16 MB PCB are one and the same thing, why is the module still a work in progress, while the 16 megabyte PCB is up und running? If it's one and the same, both should be either "up and running" or "a work in progress".

Sincerely

Mathy