IGNORED

Media stands for the space conscious classic gamer

So, a few years ago, I moved into a 2 bedroom stacked townhouse in city where real estate is - um - more premium than I'd lived previously. Later, I got married and my wife moved into this space 900 square foot space.

One of the challenges is finding a quiet corner for my classic game setup.

Anyone have a similar challenge where they've got a bunch of consoles and a small CRT tv to connect them to, but no room?

Any pics of how you solved it?

Even finding a media stand with a lot of shelves that also supports a small CRT tv is a challenge in 2016.

I know exactly how you feel. My wife and I live in a small

one bedroom apartment and to fit all our stuff in there we've had to confine the retro gaming center to a space about 7 feet long by 2 feet wide. For this kind of space using bookshelves to store games and accessories was clearly out of the question, so we ended up going with some Sterilite brand stackable plastic storage drawers from Target and a little particle board TV and console stand from Target as well. Everything fits very nicely in the space and we've been really happy with how it turned out.

Here's a picture if you're interested, just disregard the plethora of pastel purple ponies. :lol:

RQ1j09n.jpg

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

The biggest challenge with a gameroom for me is achieving a finished look. To have storage or shelving that A) fits your games and systems, B) your games and systems look like they belong on, and C) looks like it belongs in the room (from a design perspective) is no small feat. You almost have to go custom/DIY, really, though there are at least media units with adjustable shelves that work pretty well for CDs and cartridges:

VHZ%2BEntertainment%2BLarge%2BTriple%2BM

Otherwise you get that mishmash of different units and components that you're just trying to make work. It's my eternal struggle.

• Like 2

SANY0048

Ikea and Target are both great sources of space-maximizing shelving. The Journalist line that compromises my main unit is long discontinued, but Besta is a good choice these days (That's the 2-shelf unit under the TV.) It doesn't have any fixed shelfing, and you can buy more shelves separately, so it's easy (although a bit pricey) to customize to your exact needs.

Dish risers/drops and monitor stands are a great way to sneak in an extra shelf when you can't add to an existing piece. If you trust yourself with a hacksaw/bolt cutters, you can pop the rubber feet off of the wire ones, cut the size down a bit, and reassemble.

Since this photo was taken, I've added another dish riser under the Sega CD to accommodate an original Xbox & put a monitor riser over the PS2 to (eventually) hold a Sega Saturn. The whole shelf is about 3 1/2 feet wide by 4 1/3 feet tall (although, being a corner unit, the footprint is a bit different than the actual shelf run.) It's definitely a hodgepodge thing, since my collection's grown a LOT over the last few years- but it's very functional. Everything in it is, for the most part, ready to play. Adding the Xbox overshot my composite in, so I added an HDMI converter for it/the VHS, but that's the only thing that requires any hooking up.

You get space saving extra credit for the upside down Jag tied to the shelf :thumbsup:

*pauses*
*goes back and checks*

Yep. You sir, win the space game. Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 4

For my systems I use a couple of "ladder shelves" I got from Walmart.com for a 100 bucks (for the pair) placed on either side of my TV stand.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Altra-Metal-Ladder-Bookcase-Set-of-2-Black/16939450

a6f30758-33a2-4908-8d54-4dedd4e48bb1.jpg

I like these because of the way they get narrower at the top...they don't "feel" as bulky in a room as a bookshelf that height might. Wal-Mart plain black furniture line has some really cheap cabinets/nightstands/bookselves which make fine stands for a CRT 20" or less. Yeah they're fiberboard but if you never move/slide them with stuff on them, it doesn't matter. Even a few L brackets can make them much stronger if need be.

• Like 3

Another option is to not have a dedicated game area. A decent enough TV bench can hold quite a bit of equipment and do so cleanly without putting everything on display. This BESTA unit from Ikea is pretty much infinitely customizable. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29083132/#/S79083653

The idea would be to merge your classic hardware with the main entertainment center. So for like the Besta unit for example, load the sides with the classic hardware and hide them behind whatever doors you choose. Leave the center for your PS4, cable box, DVR etc.... Get yourself a decent upscaler too.

If you absolutely must game while the main TV is being used for other things. You could always keep a CRT on a cheap cart stashed in a closet or something and wheel it out when needed. Headphones, controller extenders (there's now bluetooth options depending) and long enough video cable could set you up far enough away.

This may seem like a bit of a pain to setup, but in the long run you will be saving yourself a couple feet of wall space from not having to setup a 2nd tv area.

• Like 1

IMG 0002

This is the mobile part of my setup- I forget the brand, but it's a sterilite style drawer unit on casters. Normally it gets shoved into the back corner of the room. I roll it out when I want to play my pre-crash systems, since I don't keep them hooked up (lack of outlets/RF/space plus concern for power surges.) System goes on top, folding chair goes next to it. I have a power strip/AB switch set up for easy access at the front of my main shelf so everything's easy to get going.

The nice part it, it doubles as storage- I keep controllers and hookup cables in the top drawer, and my Nintendo cart-only collection in the bottom two. You can't really see it in the picture, but there's a tray on top of the SNES games with my modest N64 collection in it. If you prefer everdrives or just have more room for actual carts elsewhere, this could easily be a mobile station for 3 systems.

Pay no mind to Darth Pinky, she's just waiting for me to get some black fabric & make her damn cloak already. ;)

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 1

Hmm not that I don't have room but i am quickly running out of space for games mostly. Right now I am at a point where i am using tubs to hold controllers and games and extras. If anyone has a better solution for that then those let me know. I have a picture of my mobile shooting range I will post here shortly. You guys with the light guns know where i am going with this I bet ha ha.

Wire shelving. Get the casters and it can be moved out from the wall for access to cables, or it can be stowed in another room.

+1 for this suggestion. Wire shelving is awesome, and if you get the silver/chrome finish it looks pretty good too in my opinion. Cable management ends up being ultra easy because you can bundle cables then zip-tie them right to the metal bars running across the back, then tie them to the main legs going down. Everything ends up being very clean that way.

If you worry about it looking too utilitarian, you can get covers for them to try and dress them up: https://www.amazon.com/Renew-Shelving/b/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&node=9130356011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Renew+Shelving&linkCode=ll2&tag=atariage&linkId=b2124bc869323f3103ef8353ffe740ab or http://helpmyshelf.com/ have interesting-looking options. You can also make them yourself: http://fakeitfrugal.blogspot.ca/2013/01/diy-wire-shelf-liner.html or http://thefrugalhomemaker.com/2015/02/19/how-to-change-up-wire-shelves-for-less-than-10/ look like good tutorials.

Personally, I don't mind the modern/industrial aesthetic of plain chrome wire shelves.

The current issue I face is I share an office with the wife because we only live in a 2 bedroom place (no kids mercifully). I have a beautiful Compaq P110 CRT monitor I want to hook up to my PC, but the things 78lbs and the size of an ocean liner so it's sitting in the closet until I figure out where the heck to put it.

Probably not what you're looking for, but this is my main storage solution for retro games.

HTB1xzbnMpXXXXX6XXXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg

why do people feel the uncontrollable need to do this? doesn't matter what the retro gaming project it is. Be it an upscaler, wireless controller adapters, Everdrives, or simply talking about storage There's always a guaranteed "why don't you just use emulators?" Do people seriously think them posting that is revelatory information? Of course they don't, it's just a smarmy extremely played out anecdote. Everyone knows about emulators,and I know you know that and your post was simply in jest. But it's brought up in EVERY single topic that remotely has to do with classic gaming. It hasn't been a clever amusing comment for probably 15 years now at least.

• Like 1

Probably not what you're looking for, but this is my main storage solution for retro games. <Photo omitted in reply>

Love it!

Did you know videogames were originally hardwired, then eventually burned or "masked" into ROMS? This is simply the modern-day version - zapped into flash. Semiconductor memory is the original and natural home of all videogames.

I'm currently keeping my stuff in one of these:

post-4806-0-20630000-1470342216_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

why do people feel the uncontrollable need to do this? doesn't matter what the retro gaming project it is. Be it an upscaler, wireless controller adapters, Everdrives, or simply talking about storage There's always a guaranteed "why don't you just use emulators?" Do people seriously think them posting that is revelatory information? Of course they don't, it's just a smarmy extremely played out anecdote. Everyone knows about emulators,and I know you know that and your post was simply in jest. But it's brought up in EVERY single topic that remotely has to do with classic gaming. It hasn't been a clever amusing comment for probably 15 years now at least.

Because to some of us it nothing short of a miracle that thousands of games can be stuffed into their natural home of semiconductor memory.

It is important to embrace emulators because they are the future of games past. And eventually it will be the only way to play many games, with more being added to the list every day. Emulation for many people isn't an evident and viable solution till they actually try it out. So it is important to spread the word.

This is as relevant as the physical setups being showcased in this thread. Emulator buffs get the same fun factor as gamers playing the real console. This is how we store our games. This is how we play our games. And we have an obligation and need to conserve storage space whenever possible.

This is bought up almost every topic because it *IS* part of the scene. It is prevalent wherever you go!

The caveat with emulators is they must be set up correctly. Almost all who complain are doing it wrong.

• Like 1

OK lets take both avenues in a bad case scenario. Real games vs Emulation and then as it has happened to me anyhow your home floods. Emulated stuff easily replaced. Real games lost.....I still have one to replace that will take forever for me to commit to because of its price so yeah a little card with everything and a replaceable computer to run it all not a bad solution to remove the possibility of pain of loss.

On the other side though I do like those neat boxes and manuals and the tangible feel of cartridges and disks. I do both emulation and physical media I just keep the physical down to point where you can have enough but not too much.

Bad side is I keep finding stuff and its hard to resist the urge to just not buy it physically when I know I can emulate it at home. But its the real thing ha ha.

And for you Flojomojo My storage solution would be something like this.

$_58.JPG

Keep it classy :grin:

• Like 2