IGNORED

Side port breadboard adapter, like PI Cobler

jedimatt42

Here for anyone who wants, is the details on the side port prototyping breadboard adapter... So you can do the following with a little sanity:

post-42954-0-53016100-1469900194_thumb.jpg

This is simply a wiring/breakout device inspired by the PI Cobbler that does the same thing for Raspberry PI developers. But this is for TI developers... a TI Cobbler if you will. It does not do anything Raspberry PI related.

I have fixed the labeling of the pins at the breadboard end, and adjusted the spacing on the edge connector side.

OSHPark link: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/AJqKJwMn

Pictures of assembled item:
post-42954-0-41942000-1469855276_thumb.jpg
post-42954-0-50533800-1469855424_thumb.jpg

Materials:

TI-99 sideport extension ribbon cable: http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/hello-cables/L1172
44 pins worth of SIL headers
44 pin edge connector 0.1" spacing, like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50x-Industrial-Card-Edge-Slot-Socket-Connector-22x2P-44P-2-54mm-0-1-Right-Angle-/141040524948?hash=item20d6ab9e94:g:kxAAAMXQHeBSEH~l
or like this one I actually used that is perpendicular, instead of right angled:
post-42954-0-32264700-1469855756_thumb.jpg

The edge card connector goes on top, the SIL headers are soldered into the bottom of the board. :)

I hope this proves useful to someone.

-M@

• Like 9

ok, before I get too excited here. Does this allow me to connect the TI-99/4a to a raspberry pi ?

So, in theory I could use that to lets say emulate a PEB, if I would have the proper software running on the Pi.

Wonder if something like that would even be possible. Considering timing issues, etc. Don't know if the PI would be fast enough to support that kind of stuff. And then ofcourse how would you make the PI boot fast enough before you can turn on the TI-99/4A.

Nonetheless, very interesting stuff. As a matter of fact I thought about interfacing the TI with the raspberry, but unfortunately I lack the hardware skills and now you come up with this! very nice :-)

• Like 1

ok, before I get too excited here. Does this allow me to connect the TI-99/4a to a raspberry pi ?

So, in theory I could use that to lets say emulate a PEB, if I would have the proper software running on the Pi.

Wonder if something like that would even be possible. Considering timing issues, etc. Don't know if the PI would be fast enough to support that kind of stuff. And then ofcourse how would you make the PI boot fast enough before you can turn on the TI-99/4A.

Nonetheless, very interesting stuff. As a matter of fact I thought about interfacing the TI with the raspberry, but unfortunately I lack the hardware skills and now you come up with this! very nice :-)

This does not connnect to a rasberry pi. It actually does nothing! It just helps you see which pin is which when you want to interface the TI's side port.

-M@

I already had some fantasies with Raspi and/or Arduino. All of them never thrived because Raspi and Arduino do not work with TTL levels but with lower voltages (3.3V).

Couldn't they become reality with some 74LV245 chips? Logic level shifters...

-M@

I already had some fantasies with Raspi and/or Arduino. All of them never thrived because Raspi and Arduino do not work with TTL levels but with lower voltages (3.3V).

But at least the Arduinos are compatible with TTL. I started the FlashROM with an Arduino Mega (the board, not just the microcontroller).

But at least the Arduinos are compatible with TTL. I started the FlashROM with an Arduino Mega (the board, not just the microcontroller).

Yep, a lot of the arduino stuff is very 5v safe... the Teensy 3.x boards I used for the USB adapters was all 3.3V, but the GPIO inputs are 5v safe. Outputs would only produce 3.3v, but that is usually enough to signal high to something like the TI, especially with buffer chips and pull up resistors throughout it's physical architecture.

-M@