IGNORED

Open Source Atari XE keyboard (130XE/800XE style)

Matej

I was amazed by various PC keyboard projects last days. They are mechanical with Cherry MX switches.

It is possible to make new PCB (no membrane) and use Cherry MX keys (gaming keyboard)??? Anyone good in electronic CAD here?

Also what exact type and manufacturer of connector (datasheet) is used for membrane pinout connector to atari motherboard???

PC custom PCB:

PCB%20Bottom.jpg

Cherry switch:

Cherry-Mx-Switch-for-Mechanical-font-b-K

DIY gaming keyboard:

Satan-GH60-PCB-White-Board-DIY-Mechanica

Final keyboard:

1F4NODP_-1280x960.jpg

Edited by Matej
  • Like 5

I would love to see a replacement original 800 keyboard made with cherry switches. The 800 keyboards are getting tougher to keep going and replacements are really pricey. Every 800 keyboard I've seen recently has some cracked posts and keys pop off easily. An 800 keyboard would be easier to design as well since you the function keys on the right are separate from the keyboard.

The best thing I did for my 130XE was get the XE-Touch replacement rubber cups for the keyboard from Best Electronics. It completely changes the feel of the keyboard immensely. The toughest part with designing a new keyboard for the XE would be the funky shaped function keys.

• Like 3

Yes as musician I rather use emulator and TMC or MPT tracker. When you compose music you click 100 x per minute note and than delete... And down arrow. Simply mechanical keyboard will make sense to me. For tracking on real Atari. Or I can imagine that coders will love it too. And as you wrote I have buyed extra 2x defunct-broken Ataris just for keyboard fix... Thats expensive (when broken Atari costs 40Euro).

This is quite a coincidence as I was looking at Cherry switches myself a few days ago as I had the same idea. What I thought, though, is that the switches are too tall to be used in a standard Atari case so either it would have to be an external add-on or would need a new case design. I'm guessing there might be room in the older 800 though.

If you can make it work then I think you'd find quite a bit of interest, particularly for the XE as their keyboards are just crap.

Your not the only one!, I came across this in my research!

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

I have been thinking in particular of alternative cases for MiST boards, one consideration is that a high quality keyboard in an XE case could still be used in an ST(e) setup - just allow for more function keys at the top - use a USB numpad if absolutely needed

This is quite a coincidence as I was looking at Cherry switches myself a few days ago as I had the same idea. What I thought, though, is that the switches are too tall to be used in a standard Atari case so either it would have to be an external add-on or would need a new case design. I'm guessing there might be room in the older 800 though.

If you can make it work then I think you'd find quite a bit of interest, particularly for the XE as their keyboards are just crap.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I came across this after fiddling with a flaky keyboard Mylar in my 130XE this weekend. I ran out of silver conductive paint and tried to use (tried being the operative word) a cheap conductive carbon pen. The carbon pen is a POS and I should’ve stopped while I was ahead. Cleaning up some of the mess also removed small portion of traces. The pen would only put ink out in blobs.

This lead to me thinking about a better keyboard, without putting the Best rubber caps and a new Mylar in (which will happen next week, dreaming about a mechanical PS2 keyboard aside). It would seem that our options would be much better if we used one of the Transkey devices and modified an existing PS/2  keyboard of some design, in lieu of a completely bespoke design. I know the START/OPTION/SELECT/RESET keys would present a problem, but many (most?) of us are used to the PC keyboards function keys being used for those in Altirra. I bought several sets of the keyboard labels for both Atari and C64 machines some months back and they are decent enough for me. 

I’m going to scour some PS/2 keyboard dimensions early this week and try to find something nominally smaller than the stock keyboard. Maybe a thin metal escutcheon could be fitted over the PS/2 keyboard and fitted into the 130XE case. A close friend owns a machine shop and would help me make the stand-offs & fitment odds and ends needed, as well bend the mild steel escutcheon in a brake. 

In the meantime, I’ve got to order a Mylar from The Brewing Academy :) 

• 9 months later...

@Matej no further progress on new pcb and keycaps for Atari 8-bit computers? I was thinking to start a new design PCB for Atari 130XE/65XE/800XE with cherry mx switches and (so called) Cherry or OEM keycaps profiles and custom some special keys by (wasdkeyboard) ABS Plastic:

"Clear <" "Insert >" "Break" "Atari Inverse" "Arrow keys". Or even better I think they could be laser engraved. The special function keys I think they are 3D printable and adapted for Cherry MX switches.

I know it is a very hard project but, I am looking for information and prices from whom produce keycaps...

As soon as I have a clear picture of everything a Indigogo or Kickstarter crowfounding campaign can be started... ?

Regards,

Gianluca

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:57 AM, gianlucarenzi said:

@Matej no further progress on new pcb and keycaps for Atari 8-bit computers? I was thinking to start a new design PCB for Atari 130XE/65XE/800XE with cherry mx switches and (so called) Cherry or OEM keycaps profiles and custom some special keys by (wasdkeyboard) ABS Plastic:

"Clear <" "Insert >" "Break" "Atari Inverse" "Arrow keys". Or even better I think they could be laser engraved. The special function keys I think they are 3D printable and adapted for Cherry MX switches.

I know it is a very hard project but, I am looking for information and prices from whom produce keycaps...

As soon as I have a clear picture of everything a Indigogo or Kickstarter crowfounding campaign can be started... ?

Regards,

Gianluca

I am interested. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have some quotation prices so I am thinking about to start a sort of crowdfunding for this project. First of all it will be XE based keyboard style.

1- The key caps will be used as for keyboard drop in replacement for XE users. I am designing a custom PCB with cherry mx switches and looks very good so far. The only drawback issue is the need to use the original function keys or they need to be 3D printed.

2- those key caps will be used for a XE type of USB keyboard for PC/FPGA systems but they need some other keys more to suite the emulation. In that case I'll need which keys are needed for accomplish that task. And I need some people who are able to design with 3D CAD software the keyboard case mimicking the original Atari XE computer but with shorter depth.

3- the key cap set can be used to be replacement for mechanical keyboards for hackers with 61/62 TKL keyboards as they are cherry mx compatible...

Can you help me out? Do you want to join the project?

P.S. I have just asked to Atari people on Facebook about the usage of their fuji logo for copyright or other things, but with no luck so far.

• Like 3

The custom case for MiSTer, Eclaire or whatever FPGA system is, can be accomplished AFTER we reach the first goal: having those damned keycaps! ;-) The PCB for keyboard will remain the same, as the USB to the eclaire input are connected inside the case, but the holes in the back need to be adapted for Eclaire or other FPGA Solution.  If I were able to use CAD software for 3D, I would do it... ?

In attachment both layouts:

XE style (first production run) It can be accomplished (as stated above) for as low as 100/200 kits.

XL/800 style (second production run, but it needs more than 2000 kits to start the production, because of the costs of the custom moulds) ?

Anyway I would share with you all my steps so far.

if in atariage there was someone willing to help me in this project that if realized it will become opensource, I would be really happy.

Regards,

Gianluca

atari-800-xl-style.pdf atari-xe-style-std.pdf

Before all of you are asking why there are not function keys for Atari XL and Atari XE, is the way they are built. I asked for a custom shaped key caps for XE and I am awaiting the quotation price, but for XL it is a different story.

For both system (XL and XE) the easiest way is to adapt the existing keys with a custom 3d printed adapter, but for those of you who want to have brand new function keys the easiest way is to 3D-print-them. And paint them with the correspondant plastic-spray-painting to looks like the originals...

I am open to every solution here...

Regarding this project I am trying to contact a guy named FelixMuerte who did an excellent 3D object for Atari 130XE (ref. https://it.3dexport.com/3dmodel-atari-130-xe-139144.htm )

So far I do not receive any good/bad news from him... ? Are you guys know anybody who is capable to design an Atari XE USB Keyboard using the same style and size of the Atari XE? It should be used in an Open Source project so it must be Blender compatible.

If anyone were able to use 3D programs to create an Atari XE-style keyboard to be printed on 3D printers, I'd be really happy. And maybe make a 50% discount of the final keyboard price for him / her.

Regards,

Gianluca

I've been developing some ideas for a clamshell style PDA sized emulation computer with an XL styled keyboard. Not really what you're after.

473264320_Screenshot2020-09-30at10_36_17.png.24469b6ed91656ea84cc79414c189249.png

I'm also doing a WASD layout for Altirra and one for TK-II/AKI, still unfinished

wasd-inkscape-104-06_11_2020.thumb.png.af9205b8ab9b6ac19ec1e9ee64037fc5.png

I'm not understanding your issue. Are the keycaps on the XE a non-standard size?

Caps of almost all imaginable profiles are readily available, they just need printing, and companies like WASD can do that.

What is TK-II/AKI?

Anyway I know about WASD, I had a 104 keys ANSI with Amiga keys from them. USD $170. It's a very good mechanical keyboard. This is why I am planning to build custom keycaps and keycaps printing of the legends using a Cherry MX swtich and a custom PCB board for:

1- Replacing the original ATARI XE keyboard with PCB + KEYCAPS + FUNCTION KEYS

2- Building with the same KEYCAPS + PCB + USB MCU + OTHER KEYS (like config, speedup, loader... What else? I am open to suggestions... 3/4 keys are welcomed)

3- Having the KEYCAPS only to replace some already existing PC KEYBOARD CAPS. The main issue here is the size of some keys (Left Shift, Right Shift, Caps, Return and __SPACE__ ) are not standard for keyboards nowadays. No mention about the legends...

Doing all stuff with WASD keyboard is very expensive and somehow not practical as they do not have spacebar 6U, 7U or 9U (as the original one) but only 6.25U. So you will need to have some weird in size keys lateral to fill in the gap to have a 9U spacebar. Like 1.5U + 6.25U + 1.25U... ?

No mention about their price for each printing...

My goal will be to achieve all keycaps for small quantity (like 50 or 100 sets) under the 50 EUR mark. (55/60 USD)...

Who want to join the ride?

I hope I was clear.

5 hours ago, gianlucarenzi said:

What is TK-II/AKI?

Anyway I know about WASD, I had a 104 keys ANSI with Amiga keys from them. USD $170. It's a very good mechanical keyboard. This is why I am planning to build custom keycaps and keycaps printing of the legends using a Cherry MX swtich and a custom PCB board for:

1- Replacing the original ATARI XE keyboard with PCB + KEYCAPS + FUNCTION KEYS

2- Building with the same KEYCAPS + PCB + USB MCU + OTHER KEYS (like config, speedup, loader... What else? I am open to suggestions... 3/4 keys are welcomed)

3- Having the KEYCAPS only to replace some already existing PC KEYBOARD CAPS. The main issue here is the size of some keys (Left Shift, Right Shift, Caps, Return and __SPACE__ ) are not standard for keyboards nowadays. No mention about the legends...

Doing all stuff with WASD keyboard is very expensive and somehow not practical as they do not have spacebar 6U, 7U or 9U (as the original one) but only 6.25U. So you will need to have some weird in size keys lateral to fill in the gap to have a 9U spacebar. Like 1.5U + 6.25U + 1.25U... ?

No mention about their price for each printing...

My goal will be to achieve all keycaps for small quantity (like 50 or 100 sets) under the 50 EUR mark. (55/60 USD)...

Who want to join the ride?

I hope I was clear.

I would like to join the ride!  Interested in both xl and xe