IGNORED

Open Source Atari XE keyboard (130XE/800XE style)

Matej

I have started a poll in Facebook. I would like to start a Kickstarter's campaign for mass production of cases and keyboards and keycaps.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/atariage/permalink/10159857563135255/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/atariage/permalink/10159857568265255/

Please vote!

Edited by gianlucarenzi
  • Like 2

Hello Gianluca

1 hour ago, scorpio_ny said:

Hi @gianlucarenzi,

You mentioned that you could not post pictures with the poll in Facebook. Could you post the pictures here on Atariage of the options you are offering? 

Or you could start a poll here and put the pictures, maybe even with number of the option in the poll, in the first message of that new thread.

Sincerely

Mathy

6 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello Gianluca

Or you could start a poll here and put the pictures, maybe even with number of the option in the poll, in the first message of that new thread.

Sincerely

Mathy

I will no start two polls, as they have to be managed well then.

For who wan't/can't use facebook poll (which it's a bag of sh*t anyway) can ask some friend to vote for him/her.

Basically the only thing I want to know, is which combination of Atari XE case + keyboard (including keycaps) is the best to your opinion. After that I can start a Kickstarter's campaing.

Here is the post. If someone is skilled enough to place a better way to poll with explanations and pictures can do it by him/herself. And do not forget to link here everything!

Thanks!

Hello everybody! I would like to start a Kickstarter's campaign to make my dream come true. Having a mass-production case and keyboard for my old/broken Atari 130XE machines. Due to the last post I made on other Facebook groups, I have found a lot of people asking me how to have some cases and keyboard, or even only the keyboard, or even only the keycaps.
Well, now it's time to have it Kickstarted. Due to the very high costs of molds, keyboard PCB and PLATE, and naturally the keycaps, I need to know which combo is needed to be part of Kickstarter's campaign. Please take your time to evaluate everything carefully, depending on your needs. The only missing thing will be the XE motherboard. To tell the truth, the keyboard and the case can be used as USB keyboard, so it's simple having a modern stuff inside, like Raspberry Pi with an Atari Emulator, or a FPGA based solution with USB keyboard support, or simply use the case and keyboard as USB keyboard for you Personal Computer, it's up to you! The backpanel cuts-out can be adapted with something 3D printed just to have a better looking retro-machine as well. But for now, I need to know how many people will join my project and which project is the best fit for their needs.
I have a personal blog too: https://gp61.blogspot.com It's in italian but it's easy to translate with some online tool.
Please have a look at it!
The following pictures show off all the style of the computer's case. All the cases are split in two to fit my 310x310 mm 3D printer bed, but they will be as one piece if they turn to mold. There is a REPLICA of the Atari XE case, but with the connections for the mechanical keyboard. Let's call it ATARI XE CASE MODEL A (it will need 5 function keys HELP, START, SELECT, OPTION and RESET [ they will be part of the project ]). There is a new concept with 9 function keys (it will need 9 function keys: F1, F2, F3, F4 plus the standard HELP, START, SELECT, OPTION and RESET). Let's call it ATARI XE CASE MODEL B.
After there is new models: ATARI XE CASE MODEL C & MODEL D. The first has the cutout for 5 standard function keys, and the latter has the cutout for 9 standard function keys.
After there is a BRAND NEW CASE. We call it: OMICRON XE (it's a real variant of the CoVID-19 virus)... I am joking... It is a new case based off the Atari VCS 2600, the new VCS game console, an Atari 400 and Atari 800. With a mix of them. It has wooden style facial plate, a keyboard keycaps set resembling the computers in late '70s... With an embossed Atari Fuji Logo on front.
All these top-cases are using the same bottom case. So they share the same motherboard casing.
Please share this post around your groups, friend, cats and dogs as we need to reach the maximum audience possible.

Base-frontale.png

Base-retro.png

Omicron-frontale.png

Omicron-retro.png

XE-A-frontale.png

XE-A-retro.png

XE-B-frontale.png

XE-B-retro.png

XE-C-frontale.png

XE-C-retro.png

XE-D-frontale.png

XE-D-retro.png

Edited by gianlucarenzi
  • Like 3

I may have missed this somewhere in this thread but with this would it allow,  (if coded into a game),  the use of multiple key presses?  Currently this was never possible on stock Atari keyboards. 

For example you can't code an Atari game to use the WSAD or arrow keys for moving around in all directions,  one of the reasons the excellent 3D FPS game by Globe Final Assault uses a keyboard,  function key and joystick combo for moving around.  (Also why using the SNACK Snes controller adapter which the game accommodates is so amazing). 

Or is the multiple key press restriction limited via Pokey's hard coded instruction set as well? 

It would be amazing if this new drop in replacement keyboard gave the A8 multiple key press functionality. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

Just now, Beeblebrox said:

I may have missed this somewhere but with this would it allow,  (if coded into a game),  the use of multiple key presses?  Currently this was never possible on stock Atari keyboards.  (Eg you can't code an Atari game to use the Wsad keys for moving around in all directions,  one of the reasons the excellent 3D FPS game by Globe Final Assault uses a keyboard,  function key and joystick combo for moving around.  (Also why using the SNACK Snes controller adapter which the game accommodates is so amazing). 

Or is the multiple key press restriction limited via Pokey's hard coded instruction set as well? 

It would be amazing if this new drop in replacement keyboard gave the A8 multiple keypress functionality. 

It's a matter of OS + Pokey / GTIA scancode routines. To tell the truth this version of PCB suffers of the so call GHOST KEYPRESS. The only viable solution is to add a diode for every keyswitch like @ScreamingAtTheRadio did in the last incarnation of his PCB. Anyway with the USB controller (i.e. not used in the Atari motherboard) the anti-ghosting is done in firmware as good as possible, with the diodes there will be NO GHOSTING at all. But in Atari motherboard you hardly find this issue due to the slow scancode routine and buffering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lastic said:

Do I understand correctly in order to have an XE mechanical keyboard with the 5 diamond-shaped keys , I also need the new case ( type A I presume ) ? Or can I re-use my original 130XE case ?

If you remove the RF Shield, the new keyboard and keycaps can stand like the original keyboard, so you can re-use your original 130XE case. It's only a better keyboard. It's a matter of millimeters (I think 2 or 3), like 1/10 of inches. But if your case is damaged or simply want to have a fresh look to your system, you should have the MODEL A case plus keyboard complete set.

45 minutes ago, pajero_pn said:

Thank you for posting!

Just to let everyone knows: the keycaps I am using are XDA profile, and they do not permit the semigraphic font on front side like OEM or Cherry Profiles...

I painted (as already shown) the original keycaps, then added waterslides for legends and semigraphics and they turned out just fine. The main issue is you will need a sort of stem adapter for cherry mx stem. In this case they feel a little wobbly, but workable on the mechanical keyboard. My goal is to have a different style, more or less like merging together Atari 800, 800XL and 130XE styles with a 70s retro typewriter feeling, so that's why the new keyboard styles.

If somebody needs a replica keyboard (but without the semigraphic fonts on the front side) with the semigraphics in the same top side like Commodore 64G this need to be asked when (or if) the Kickstarter will start. Anyway the keycaps profile will be different.

commodore64g.jpg

9 hours ago, gianlucarenzi said:

And now some other pictures...

I am sorry I didn't setup the keyboard top cases for standard (nowadays) rectangular function keys. But with the pictures you can imagine... Sky is the limit! ;-)

IMG_20220908_212937.jpg

Those 2 are what I would prefer.  I like the 9 function keys version best.  Would it be possible (if this version was produced) to fit the keyboard (without the extra 4 switches installed) or would it require a separate version of each?

I would like XE with 9 FN keys. But in exact color as Atari Falcon 030. Maybe keycaps space, alt, crt etc in turquoise (c-lab or Atari TT logo inspired). 

Or brand new case looking like a2600. There will be lot of room for upgrades (vbxe, ultimate1mb, rapidus, sd card etc and what will be next)

I will 100% support any case on Kickstarter or Indiegogo. And buy 4x :).

This and A130 mother board remake are best projects of 2022.

Thank You for beautiful work!

I am finishing my Atari TT case and will finish my Amiga 600 inspired A800XE case too. But probably only release 3D files or print small series.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Those 2 are what I would prefer.  I like the 9 function keys version best.  Would it be possible (if this version was produced) to fit the keyboard (without the extra 4 switches installed) or would it require a separate version of each?

What do you mean? If you need 9 fn keys, you'll surely need the opening hole for 9 keys, otherwise the top cover will not install over the cherry mx switches. You can desolder them, just to use the 5 fn keys hole opening, but I do not see any advantage to do that...

• Like 1

:) its perfect I mean this down: FN+help+start+select... Its best!

IMG_20220908_212937.jpg.5739da002924d2a7

And love my Falcon 030 with turbocard so maybe dark gray keys too! My idea is to have XE with Rapidus, VBXE, 1mb there near Falcon :). Once more thank You for beautiful case and keyboard amazing work for community. All Atarians will love it also we have new hardware for future thats important to keep scene! Will post also on Czecho-Slovak forum tomorrow also lot of Polish friends love it!

ab121a1ca77d51acea26fa33caa61994.png

Edited by Matej
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, gianlucarenzi said:

What do you mean? If you need 9 fn keys, you'll surely need the opening hole for 9 keys, otherwise the top cover will not install over the cherry mx switches. You can desolder them, just to use the 5 fn keys hole opening, but I do not see any advantage to do that...

What I was thinking, is one design to suit two purposes.  Meaning - make the PCB support all 9 function keys, but have it work in the 5 key and 9 key configurations, rather than having two separate PCBs.

Maybe You should do Kickstarter/Indiegogo as A1200.net (Amiga cases) every half Year or 3/4 year one project. So all Your cases and keyboards types will be manufactured. It can be done when cases will have adapter for Raspberry Pi, MiSTer, mini PC amd64 boards make single board computers research biggest sales so there will be for example Atari community and Raspberry Pi community supporting same project!!!

Also maybe in different colors when mold form will be done so blue, red, pink, babyblue, transparent, black etc etc. 

I think little adapter inside case for modern 64bit single board computers can be even 3D printed. This is way to go as Raspberry Pi sold more than 40 million boards. And there will be holes for our XE / XL motherboard. 

Edited by Matej
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@gianlucarenzi I love the B and D cases! Actually they all look great! Great job!!

If you get your kickstarter going, I'll definitely want a D case!

one question, perhaps before you get too far down the rabbit hole, is in your new case designs did you shorten the space for the spacebar from 9U to the standard 6.25U? I ask because wasdkeyboards makes custom printed oem profile sets for $62 usd. that's for a single set of caps! that's the cheapest I've found. and I have 4 sets already that I've played with, 2 white with an 8-bit font and 1 white and 1 beige with standard 130xe lookalike font. Here is the 8-bit font with graphic legends, just laid out on glass so you can see them.

20221001_220303.jpg

I ask because wasdkeyboards doesn't include the option for any spacebar size except for 6.25U, so if you're going for a stock layout, you can't without adapters to use the original caps or having 1.25U keys on each side of the spacebar, like in the pic above.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2022 at 4:02 AM, gianlucarenzi said:

If you remove the RF Shield, the new keyboard and keycaps can stand like the original keyboard, so you can re-use your original 130XE case. It's only a better keyboard. It's a matter of millimeters (I think 2 or 3), like 1/10 of inches. But if your case is damaged or simply want to have a fresh look to your system, you should have the MODEL A case plus keyboard complete set.

remove the shield? huh? why? does new case allow shields with keyboard?

Edited by _The Doctor__

Simply because the clearance between the new keyboard PCB and the shield depends heavily on the production-run shield. It's a matter of a single millimeter (less than 1/10 of inch) but sometimes the top case is not closing good. So my advice is to remove the metal shield. The RF noise nowadays is not so crucial at all. And the keyboard stands beautifully...