IGNORED

Open Source Atari XE keyboard (130XE/800XE style)

Matej

15 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Why not let the case have the extra   millimeter  that way people can have breathing space for these tight to fit upgrade boards, upgrade keyboards, or shields. cake walk.

When possible, extra space is always given.  Not only does it help things fit together easier, it also lowers the price by allowing for sloppier tolerances.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Why not let the case have the extra   millimeter  that way people can have breathing space for these tight to fit upgrade boards, upgrade keyboards, or shields. cake walk.

It is really easy to add a couple of millimeter to achieve that, but you will lose the compatibility of the top case with the original bottom one, or vice versa. My goal was to have full compatible cases (bottom, top or both)...

23 minutes ago, gianlucarenzi said:

It is really easy to add a couple of millimeter to achieve that, but you will lose the compatibility of the top case with the original bottom one, or vice versa. My goal was to have full compatible cases (bottom, top or both)...

It shouldn't make it so they don't mate up. It would work just fine. the mating area doesn't need alteration and you can use old fashioned spacers under the pcb if needed

Edited by _The Doctor__

30 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

When possible, extra space is always given.  Not only does it help things fit together easier, it also lowers the price by allowing for sloppier tolerances.

exactly

25 minutes ago, gianlucarenzi said:

nothing a few washers in the bottom half under the pcb at stand offs and screw in points wouldn't handle, nylon if you prefer

Edited by _The Doctor__

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

exactly

nothing a few washers in the bottom half under the pcb at stand offs and screw in points wouldn't handle, nylon if you prefer

Adding washers in a no-go option. The top case will never close well. It should be apart of those tenths of inches from bottom. It's a matter of personal taste IMHO. It's better to remove the shield or reduce the shield height by 2 millimeters sanding the lowr part of the shield...

It's better to 3D print everything with the correct measures IMHO. And the keyboard PCB will stand correctly at that point.

case3D.jpg

IMG_20220904_215544.jpg

Edited by gianlucarenzi
Improved answer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oh well, It's a pass then. Hope with a little more experience things improve. Moving on.

before I walk away, consider spots for support legs or rubber feet under the case at the mid point splits, the stress on the PCB is increased as the split ages/flexes/moves and is additive without the strength and structure of the shield. It will progress as it ages if it's not shored up.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if I've missed it being mentioned somewhere, but do you have an estimate on what these might cost? I've been working on some stuff with my 130XE as I prefer to work directly with the machine, and the keyboard is driving me nuts! 

Also, would you consider a PCB-only option for those folks who are able and willing to populate the board themselves and use their own keycaps? Gotta justify my 3D printer purchase outside of D&D!