IGNORED

Atari ST games compatibility question...

1040 ST - TOS 1.02

I agree with this in the purest form of an answer to the ops very specific question. But when you take into account modern conveniences (software patching, extended storage options, hard drive conversions, etc.), the question stops being about highest levels of compatibility and more about the best user experience across the widest range of quality titles. In that light, I recommend a 1040 STe with 4MB, TOS 2.06, and at an UltraSATAN.

I agree with this in the purest form of an answer to the ops very specific question. But when you take into account modern conveniences (software patching, extended storage options, hard drive conversions, etc.), the question stops being about highest levels of compatibility and more about the best user experience across the widest range of quality titles. In that light, I recommend a 1040 STe with 4MB, TOS 2.06, and at an UltraSATAN.

Pixel's advice is spot on if you want to take advantage of patched games, a more modern OS, and SD card convenience.

However, if you are using real floppies then my previous call of a 1040ST with TOS 1.02 is the way to go.

Frankly, Pixel's route is the one I'd take as it has the best path for growth.

But if you just want to play games old floppy based games, save yourself the expense and get a bog standard 1040ST.

I would go for a 4MB STe with a good DMA chip and TOS 1.62 as the best all-rounder. Fully compatible with Ultra Satan and will run most disk games (including STe only titles).

2.06 is only factory standard on Mega STe and, although a regular STe can be upgraded (for want of a better word) to 2.06, it will really bitch up compatibility with disk originals.

If you're in the UK, I highly recommend buying from Atari-Freakz. You'll pay quite a bit more but you won't find anyone more knowledgable about ST hardware and he's the only seller who checks the DMA chip and does preventative repairs before selling. Anything else out there should be treated as fixer-upper material.

Edited by English Invader

Pixel's advice is spot on if you want to take advantage of patched games, a more modern OS, and SD card convenience.

However, if you are using real floppies then my previous call of a 1040ST with TOS 1.02 is the way to go.

Frankly, Pixel's route is the one I'd take as it has the best path for growth.

But if you just want to play games old floppy based games, save yourself the expense and get a bog standard 1040ST.

OK, thanks! I do want to use and play the real floppies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree. If you are planning to use real floppies (particularly original non-pirated software), the best would be an Atari 1040ST with TOS 1.0.

TOS 1.0 was the version in the most 520/1040STs which was the best selling version of the ST. A number of games such as Street Fighter 2 will not run on TOS 1.02.

People mistakenly recommend TOS 1.02 because that is most common on ST emulators. Emulators and the real thing are different!

I disagree. If you are planning to use real floppies (particularly original non-pirated software), the best would be an Atari 1040ST with TOS 1.0.

TOS 1.0 was the version in the most 520/1040STs which was the best selling version of the ST. A number of games such as Street Fighter 2 will not run on TOS 1.02.

People mistakenly recommend TOS 1.02 because that is most common on ST emulators. Emulators and the real thing are different!

The ST is one of the last places I would go for Street-Fighter II. There are many great games on the ST but Capcom's legendary one-on-one fighter isn't one of them and I'm pretty sure that game is STe compatible as well (the only stipulations are a double sided disk drive and 1MB memory).

The STfm models are the most common which ship with either 1.02 or 1.04 and they also offer the easiest non-STe upgrade paths but, as I said before, a 4MB STe with TOS 1.62 is the best all rounder.

My advice is based on the real hardware with more than a few hard knocks along the way. I almost feel like saying to the OP that he should grab the first ST he finds on eBay and just enjoy the journey as sometimes the only way you really learn is when you're right there in the thick of it.

• Like 1

There is no TOS version which can run all games. But yes, 1.0 is what will run biggest %. At price of slower work, some bugs, not supporting well expansions. 1.02 will run slightly less, but there are some titles which will work on 1.04, but not on 1.02 - because later takes more RAM (only case when lower version does it).

Despite all it, I will say that getting an STE is best nowadays: especially in EU is not hard to find. It can run some nice titles what STs can't - like Sleepwalker, Obsession .... RAM expansion is 1000x simpler (not exaggerating).

All incompatibility problems can be solved, and many is already. Like this: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/P/prehisk.php

What is not recommended is TOS 2.06 - some 20-30% of games may have problems.

• Like 1

I'm liking my STe with 1.62/2.06 TOS switcher, but I'm using a CosmosEx and have little interest in using original floppies, BUT my end game plan is to put in a switch so the Internal Floppy (CE) can be switched with the External Floppy (SF314), that way if I want to boot from an original disk that's an option.

Of course I realize I might bork the whole thing with my shitty soldering skills. I'm trying to convince my boss to let me train for IPC J-Cert before I try any more.

Edited by Android8675

• 4 years later...
9 hours ago, jmprice_314159 said:

Is there a program that can change an STE memory from 4 MB to 2 MB? I know about the 1 MB program, but some of the games require 2 MB, and some of the games don't seem to work right with 4 MB. Yes, I could simply physically remove 2 GB from the STE, but I'd prefer not to. Thanks, Jason.

Possible to make such prg. I will do it if you tell me what is that what requires 2 MB min - when run from floppy, and crashes or works bad with 4 MB .

I will check Robocop. But still don't know about game what needs exact 2 MB RAM for good work.

To add that I fixed number of games with this memory problem - it's usually overshot in screen draw, so runs out from screen address space, even RAM address space, and if accessing area right above 4 MB it causes bus error - ergo bombs, crash.