IGNORED

Super Mario Brothers 256 worlds

There are 256 hidden levels in the original Super Mario Brothers game. With a tennis cartridge it can be accessed or if you have a game genie its even easier. Just tried this on a top loader with a game genie and it was awesome. I tried it on a Super Mario Brothers / Duck Hut combo cartridge and it worked also. So the one with track meet for power pad will also work probably. Its all garbage unfinished levels but still super cool.

• Like 1

Its all garbage unfinished levels but still super cool.

Just a little semantics correction so no one is confused: "unfinished" implies that these were intended as levels but the work was never finished. In reality, any level you access outside of the normal 1-1 to 8-4 are invalid levels, the game is pulling unintended data from memory and generating levels out of them. The fact that you tend to get a playable level out of almost any random data is a testament to just how elegantly and tightly programmed this game was.

• Like 3

No you play mario for a few seconds in a top loader. While on you are powered on you yank him out and pop tennis in. Then play tennis for a few. Then yank him out while on and put mario back in. Then start mario and you get new weird levels.

I don't have tennis so I cannot verify. But orderer it from ebay so will try in few days. But game genie is just easier.

No you play mario for a few seconds in a top loader. While on you are powered on you yank him out and pop tennis in. Then play tennis for a few. Then yank him out while on and put mario back in. Then start mario and you get new weird levels.

I always wonder who in the world thinks of this kind of thing. Hot-swapping cartridges was anathema to us then. We certainly didn't think it could possibly be exploited for tricks and glitches.

("Us" being me and everyone I knew who had any kind of video game system.)

• Like 2

I don't have tennis so I cannot verify. But orderer it from ebay so will try in few days. But game genie is just easier.

Thanks 0078265317

That makes sense.

SMW and Tennis are both mapper-free games so maybe removing the cart doesn't cause a freeze (probably because everything is still in RAM memory).

Then playing the switched cart probably causes it to jump to an unexpected RAM address which could lead to various results (but most likely horrible glitches and crashes).

• Like 1

SMW and Tennis are both mapper-free games so maybe removing the cart doesn't cause a freeze (probably because everything is still in RAM memory).

Then playing the switched cart probably causes it to jump to an unexpected RAM address which could lead to various results (but most likely horrible glitches and crashes).

I am not super technical. So that is the best explanation I have heard all thread.

• Like 1

After reading the article, I think I understand better how it works. Removing the cart does freeze the games, but the key part is doing a reset and not switching off.

These two carts probably assume they are run from a powered-off NES and expect RAM to be empty (or perhaps with unmovable contents from the same game if reset).

They could have prevented the glitch by emptying RAM on boot (set it all to zero), but probably didn't bother to save some previous bytes in the game program.

I wonder if you have to start with SMB though; perhaps it's enough to run Tennis first and switch.

I always wonder who in the world thinks of this kind of thing. Hot-swapping cartridges was anathema to us then. We certainly didn't think it could possibly be exploited for tricks and glitches.

("Us" being me and everyone I knew who had any kind of video game system.)

Indeed- I picked up a manual for my Channel F awhile back & was shocked to see it said you turn the system on, then put in the cart. I still don't do it that way- it goes against every fiber of my being!

Indeed- I picked up a manual for my Channel F awhile back & was shocked to see it said you turn the system on, then put in the cart. I still don't do it that way- it goes against every fiber of my being!

It was the same with me when I got my first Fairchild. The Bally Arcade and Studio II work the same way, as well: power on (with or without a cartridge), insert/remove cart, press reset. The Studio II in particular always acts like you're killing it when you pull out a cartridge, but that whole system is one big glitch anyway.

I got used to it pretty quickly, though, and actually found it to be a really handy feature since those systems' power switches were in hard-to-reach places at the back of the unit. (Except the Channel F System II, I think the power switch on that one was next to the keyboard on the front.)

I don't know if I can think of any other game consoles that were designed for hot-swapping.

It was the same with me when I got my first Fairchild. The Bally Arcade and Studio II work the same way, as well: power on (with or without a cartridge), insert/remove cart, press reset. The Studio II in particular always acts like you're killing it when you pull out a cartridge, but that whole system is one big glitch anyway.

I got used to it pretty quickly, though, and actually found it to be a really handy feature since those systems' power switches were in hard-to-reach places at the back of the unit. (Except the Channel F System II, I think the power switch on that one was next to the keyboard on the front.)

I don't know if I can think of any other game consoles that were designed for hot-swapping.

Microvision. Though that's technically because it doesn't actually "turn off"

Oh another one. Game wizard. For the same reason.

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

My Tennis cart arrived yesterday in the mail. I tired today and no luck I used SMB1. This time just the game. No duckhunt combo. Just the original game by it self. I scored one long time ago. US top loader. I tried 3 times no luck. I mean same thing as link. Pull out and fuzzy screen and then reset. I mean first play mario then pull out then pop in tennis and hit reset and play for 5 seconds. Then pullout tennis and then back to mario and reset. But nothing happened no level select. I thought bad game. But I verified the game genie code works and lets me select levels beyond 8. With out game genie and tennis hack no level select at all even upto 8. Just get a game genie and be done with it. They are cheap enough on game genie.

Never even heard of the Game Wizard. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess I'm not missing much, though. :-D

late 90's. It was a gameboy shaped handheld with removable carts that played tiger single function handheld style games. Each 'system' came with three carts. I have starwars mask and power rangers. A friend had tmnt. I'm sure there were others. Of the twelve carts I got to play they were actually excellent games. I guess it was similar to tigers Rzone but I never played that so I cant comment there.

Game wizard was everywhere back then but now its harder (in order of magnitude) to find than microvision is. Don't know if it was unreliable (all mine still work) or if people just like them enough they don't sell them.

• Like 1

late 90's. It was a gameboy shaped handheld with removable carts that played tiger single function handheld style games. Each 'system' came with three carts. I have starwars mask and power rangers. A friend had tmnt. I'm sure there were others. Of the twelve carts I got to play they were actually excellent games. I guess it was similar to tigers Rzone but I never played that so I cant comment there.

Game wizard was everywhere back then but now its harder (in order of magnitude) to find than microvision is. Don't know if it was unreliable (all mine still work) or if people just like them enough they don't sell them.

Ahhh, okay! I actually had one of those (early/mid '90s?). The games were based on Universal monster properties (Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolf Man). I remember the games were pretty shit even by Tiger LCD standards, and it seemed like it never worked right. No idea whatever happened to it but I didn't have it very long.

Found one on eBay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Universal-Monsters-Game-Wizard-Handheld-Game/322191192886?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D4a1e5d2f5a50439b9e4ee0da759489a7%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D322191784337

Had an R-Zone for a little while, too. :-D

That's the exact device. Each game collection had its own colors too. Cool. Don't have that one. I'll have to see about getting it. To bad it sounds like a bad game.

As for Rzone. I held off waiting for our store to get the handheld instead of the headgear version but they never did. I got a few carts still. Maybe some day I'll see about picking one up.

Microvision. Though that's technically because it doesn't actually "turn off"

Oh another one. Game wizard. For the same reason.

How does the Microvision doesn't "turn off"? There is a switch on it, that says "on-off" and power the system down (stop buzzing and the display goes blank :P )

I'm surprised no one has actually linked this video, which explains the whole process. There's also this scan of Miyamoto talking about World 9 in Super Mario Bros. 2. Not sure if this was prior to or after the release of the game, but it was inspired by the Minus World glitches.

• Like 1