IGNORED

Super Mario Brothers 256 worlds

That's the exact device. Each game collection had its own colors too. Cool. Don't have that one. I'll have to see about getting it. To bad it sounds like a bad game.

Don't take my word as gospel as to whether they were any good or not. I'm relying on brief, fuzzy memories from more than 20 years ago. I probably didn't have it for more than few months before it found its way to a rummage sale, Goodwill, or the trash. It was an impulse buy out of the bargain bin at KayBee (aka "Mom, can I get this?") for, like, eight bucks or something, so it's not like there was a lot of perceived value there anyway. All I can say for certain about the gameplay is that the games didn't stand out in any way (I liked my Tiger games better)...and I was a kid who played the living shit out of Tiger Street Fighter II.

I remember having a hard time figuring out how to get the games to do anything or how to play them, and the unit and cartridges seemed a bit junky (what do you expect for less than $10 out of the bargain bin?). You could probably chalk that up to me just being a dumb kid, though.

As for Rzone. I held off waiting for our store to get the handheld instead of the headgear version but they never did. I got a few carts still. Maybe some day I'll see about picking one up.

I really wanted to like the R-Zone. I knew it wasn't a "real" console, but from ads and catalog appearances it still looked pretty cool, like a poor man's Virtual Boy (this was '95 or early '96; the VB hadn't quite established itself as a complete bust yet). I remember thinking the controller in particular looked awesome. Turned out, of course, there was little about the system that could be described as "awesome." :P

As LCD games went, they actually weren't bad--I think I had Road Rash and Star Wars: Millenium Falcon Challenge, which came with the unit--but they would have been better off as standalone handheld LCD units like every other Tiger game. I used to have to sit in my closet with the door shut, in the dark, just to be able to see the damn display...and then I'd get eyestrain from looking crosseyed at this little screen five inches from my face. :P