IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

It's taken me too long, but I've finally listened to the first episode and loved it. Great work, and I'm looking forward to listening to Episode 2 (and hopefully finally getting to love Countermeasure). Thanks for making great content, and for getting even more positive info out there for the Great 5200!

Thank you and glad you enjoyed the first episode.

I think you will also like the next episode even with the audio issues we had.

We are just getting started so much more positive info to come.

Would you like us to mention your name and comment on the next episode?

• Like 2

When can we expect episode 3? I'm itchin' for some new (old) Atari 5200 talk. Will there be a Christmas gift on our podcast playlists??

I suppose I can re-listen to the first 2 episodes again. :)

Hi, Sorry we are recording in early Jan 2017. But most of the work has already been done. All of us were too busy in Dec. But we will make sure that the wait was worth it.

Bob, Glen and I will be there and we should have our return guest Steve Averitt from Episode 1 to talk about his new controller discovery. Stay Tuned and thanks for your support :)

• Like 2

Hi, Sorry we are recording in early Jan 2017. But most of the work has already been done. All of us were too busy in Dec. But we will make sure that the wait was worth it.

Bob, Glen and I will be there and we should have our return guest Steve Averitt from Episode 1 to talk about his new controller discovery. Stay Tuned and thanks for your support :)

I can't wait! :-D

• Like 1

No rush for a new Episode... well I'm eagerly awaiting one but I understand completely. Here's wishing you, Bob and Glen a wonderful Holiday season and I look forward to hearing more Atari 5200 goodness in 2017!

Ok... time to download the first two episodes from iTunes again and give them another listen.

• Like 1

Thank you and glad you enjoyed the first episode.

I think you will also like the next episode even with the audio issues we had.

We are just getting started so much more positive info to come.

Would you like us to mention your name and comment on the next episode?

Sure thing, that'd be a real treat!

But if you do, now that I've listened to Episode 2, I feel like I should definitely mention this: Your podcast finally brought me around to Countermeasure like I hoped it would. It was one of those games that, despite having read the manual, I couldn't seem to wrap my brain around. So it sat on my shelf because I felt like I didn't "get it". After hearing your discussion, it finally clicked. While it's never going to replace my love of straight-up arcade-style gameplay (and it's not without some of the minor flaws your episode pointed out), I found it to be addicting and fairly advanced for its day with tank action, "risk vs. reward", and code-breaking aspects. I showed it to my wife -- she loved the tension-ratcheting of the code-breaking moments, and the "game over" screen totally surprised her. Now I realize it was DEFINITELY worth picking up. Thanks for the discussion and I'm looking forward to getting hooked on more games because of your show. I just need to pinch every post-holidays penny I can, so that I can afford a copy of Wizard Of Wor and try it out myself!

• Like 1

Sure thing, that'd be a real treat!

But if you do, now that I've listened to Episode 2, I feel like I should definitely mention this: Your podcast finally brought me around to Countermeasure like I hoped it would. It was one of those games that, despite having read the manual, I couldn't seem to wrap my brain around. So it sat on my shelf because I felt like I didn't "get it". After hearing your discussion, it finally clicked. While it's never going to replace my love of straight-up arcade-style gameplay (and it's not without some of the minor flaws your episode pointed out), I found it to be addicting and fairly advanced for its day with tank action, "risk vs. reward", and code-breaking aspects. I showed it to my wife -- she loved the tension-ratcheting of the code-breaking moments, and the "game over" screen totally surprised her. Now I realize it was DEFINITELY worth picking up. Thanks for the discussion and I'm looking forward to getting hooked on more games because of your show. I just need to pinch every post-holidays penny I can, so that I can afford a copy of Wizard Of Wor and try it out myself!

Bob really likes Countermeasure so he will be glad to hear that. As far as picking up Wizard of Wor, unless you are a collector your money maybe better spent on the Atari 5200 Ultimate SD cartridge. You will right away have access to all the commercial games, 8 Bit Conversions and some home brew games. We highly recommend it...https://www.atarimax.com/5200sd/documentation/

Countermeasure is one of my favorites, but I really can't wait until you guys get to review Space Dungeon. :-D I would love to be able to play the arcade cabinet.

We should maybe have a Space Dungeon and Robotron Episode since the both came with the joystick coupler. I will have to confirm that if Bob or Glen owns these games since I own both.

• Like 3

Hi, Everyone. We want to thank all of you who have given us such positive feedback.

We are thinking of doing a feedback episode in which we will read and discuss all feedback we have received thus far.

We want to make sure that you all know how we appreciate your feedback and you will get to hear your name and feedback read on the podcast.

So if you guys have any questions or recommendations let us know either here or our Facebook page and we will do our best to address it.

:)

The Atari 5200 Podcast wishes everybody a great day and a great retro year ahead. Here are some recent additions. The Wico Keypad makes its debut and a Brand New Wico Command Anaogue stick for the PC made Atari 5200 usable by Bohoki's PC to Atari 5200 Adapter. In addition we have Home Brew Game Flip Flop for the 5200 1f642.png

post-38693-0-39813100-1482682864_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-05356200-1482682884_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-28701600-1482682896_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-90627400-1482682918_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-94003200-1482682929_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-75452600-1482682943_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-52214600-1482682955_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-52175500-1482682970_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-71424200-1482682984_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-73504700-1482683010_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The Atari 5200 Podcast wishes everybody a great day and a great retro year ahead. Here are some recent additions. The Wico Keypad makes its debut and a Brand New Wico Command Anaogue stick for the PC made Atari 5200 usable by Bohoki's PC to Atari 5200 Adapter. In addition we have Home Brew Game Flip Flop for the 5200 1f642.png

Are you planning to play it? Mine doesn't play anymore..not sure what to do!

Are you planning to play it? Mine doesn't play anymore..not sure what to do!

Have not had a chance to try it yet.

Good to know as these were a limited release.

But rather disheartening that your cart already doesn't work.

I wonder if your cart is the exception and hopefully not the rule.

Will try mine and let you know.

Have not had a chance to try it yet.

Good to know as these were a limited release.

But rather disheartening that your cart already doesn't work.

I wonder if your cart is the exception and hopefully not the rule.

Will try mine and let you know.

Hope yours last longer then what mine did..Bad PCB what i think..

Hope yours last longer then what mine did..Bad PCB what i think..

Hi, Yes my cart worked fine but after playing the game the 45 degree angles didn't work for me so sold the game.

Wish I had a chance to play it before I bought it. Looked like a quality polished game but just wasnt for me.

I hope the person who bought it will have fun with it for however long the cart continues to work.

I pretty much buy exclusive from Atari Age and have never had issues with Albert's homebrew carts.

• 4 weeks later...

On this episode, we introduce our third host and hardware guru, Glen Planamento. A previous guest and friend of the show, Steve Averitt swings by to talk about trak-ball controllers. We cover the seminal games, Missile Command and Pac-Man. And we debunk the haters that give the 5200 a bad rap. All this and more from your hosts Capt. Bob, David, and Glen.

http://theatari5200superpodcast.libsyn.com/episode-3-missile-command-and-pac-man

• Like 2

Listened to Ep 3 at the gym today... a great listen! I still need to get a Trakball once money allows, because I've never loved any iteration of Missile Command, but I've always bet it was just because I'd never played it with the proper controls. But Pac-Man's a favorite, so great coverage there!

Thanks for the content... keep up the good stuff!

Listened to Ep 3 at the gym today... a great listen! I still need to get a Trakball once money allows, because I've never loved any iteration of Missile Command, but I've always bet it was just because I'd never played it with the proper controls. But Pac-Man's a favorite, so great coverage there!

Thanks for the content... keep up the good stuff!

Thanks so much.

I listened to this yesterday and it inspired me to dig out my trak-ball and go through nearly every compatible game I own. I had forgotten how great Centipede is on the 5200.

I ran across a programming manual for the trak-ball once. I'd like to find that again, I should come up with a game that has trak-ball support.

• Like 1

I listened to this yesterday and it inspired me to dig out my trak-ball and go through nearly every compatible game I own. I had forgotten how great Centipede is on the 5200.

I ran across a programming manual for the trak-ball once. I'd like to find that again, I should come up with a game that has trak-ball support.

Yes, that would be great to have a few more trak ball games for the 5200 as its such a great trak ball.

Just to let the listeners know Bob, Glen and I actually had prepared for a show with a longer review portion.

However we had ran out of time as such were not able to give our full reviews.

As such we are going to do an addendum episode to further talk about Missile Command and Pac Man Arcade by Tep 932.

After that we will do the Gorf and Star Raiders episode.

Edited by Protestari
  • Like 1