IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

As promised, our Episode 3.5 to make up for lost time. Or the time we ran out of on the first run. In this episode, we have Capt. Bob giving his mea culpa to the listeners and doing what he should have in the first place, describing the golden age classic, Missile Command. I cover the very worthy homebrew, Pac-Man Arcade. And Bob, Glen and I get left in the eBay bidding dust by three very determined bidders for a new in the box, never touched, Atari 5200 Supersystem.

All this, and a bit more, on The Atari 5200 Podacst!

http://theatari5200superpodcast.libsyn.com/episode-35-missile-command-redux-and-pac-man-arcade

Edited by Protestari
  • Like 3

I'll field this one. Capt. Bob here. As you know, I was a contributor to the original 5200 podcast (known now as The Atari 5200 SuperCommunity Podcast.) While Willie and Ar-Kay enjoyed doing the show, it was becoming time consuming. With all of the other commitments that they had, something had to give. So they decided to drop the show. That's when I volunteered to step up and take over. The only problem was it was at the same time I got promoted at work and was asked to join a work team that very few people can participate in due to it's extremely high-stress nature.

Fortunately, David reached out and that's when the new podcast was born. What was amazing to find out was the amount of time and research it takes to make a quality podcast. If it's not done right, it sounds like a drunken uncle ranting away in the corner of the house. Entertaining for a short time, but wears thin fast.

So David and I decided to honor the previous podcast but make this one our own. We brought Glen in because he's great at the hardware side of things and can really explain the console as the cutting edge technology that it was.

So, Willie and Ar-Kay can concentrate on their podcasts that they're passionate about, I can whittle away hours researching stuff in a hotel room somewhere in North America, David can produce an entertaining and informative podcast, and Glen can keep us from setting our houses on fire by showing us how to properly modify or fix this old stuff.

But most of all, we are ecstatic that people are listening! And if you have any questions, comments, or stories, feel free to send them to theatari5200podcast@gmail.com or our Facebook page.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'll field this one. Capt. Bob here. As you know, I was a contributor to the original 5200 podcast (known now as The Atari 5200 SuperCommunity Podcast.) While Willie and Ar-Kay enjoyed doing the show, it was becoming time consuming. With all of the other commitments that they had, something had to give. So they decided to drop the show. That's when I volunteered to step up and take over. The only problem was it was at the same time I got promoted at work and was asked to join a work team that very few people can participate in due to it's extremely high-stress nature.

Fortunately, David reached out and that's when the new podcast was born. What was amazing to find out was the amount of time and research it takes to make a quality podcast. If it's not done right, it sounds like a drunken uncle ranting away in the corner of the house. Entertaining for a short time, but wears thin fast.

So David and I decided to honor the previous podcast but make this one our own. We brought Glen in because he's great at the hardware side of things and can really explain the console as the cutting edge technology that it was.

So, Willie and Ar-Kay can concentrate on their podcasts that they're passionate about, I can whittle away hours researching stuff in a hotel room somewhere in North America, David can produce an entertaining and informative podcast, and Glen can keep us from setting our houses on fire by showing us how to properly modify or fix this old stuff.

But most of all, we are ecstatic that people are listening! And if you have any questions, comments, or stories, feel free to send them to theatari5200podcast@gmail.com or our Facebook page.

Thanks!

Aye Aye Capt. Bob :) . The new podcast is hosted by hard core 5200 fans that are passionate about the mighty 5200.

We hope you are enjoying the show and welcome everybody to share their stories about a wonderful system that sadly was never given a chance to reach its potential.

But thanks to Atari Age, 5200 fans and great homebrew creators the 5200 has a second chance.

We welcome all to join us on our journey as we look back and ahead on one of Atari's best consoles.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Hey, you live right down the street... more or less.

Thanks!

Aye Aye Capt. Bob :) . The new podcast is hosted by hard core 5200 fans that are passionate about the mighty 5200.

We hope you are enjoying the show and welcome everybody to share their stories about a wonderful system that sadly was never given a chance to reach its potential.

But thanks to Atari Age, 5200 fans and great homebrew creators the 5200 has a second chance.

We welcome all to join us on our journey as we look back and ahead on one of Atari's best consoles.

Thank you for explaining, I only started listening to video game podcasts last August, so I am currently catching up with a lot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update. As Star Raiders is such a great and pivotal game it deserves an episode unto itself.

So we have decided that in Episode 4 we will be talking about Star Raiders only.

This is Bob's game and before he was flying commercial planes he was fighting off the Zylon empire.

Bob has put a lot of time and work into his review so we all look forward to discussing Atari's 8 Bit Killer App.

Edited by Protestari

I am new to this community, so can you please bring me up to speed, why did there need to be a new 5200 podcast to replace the old one?

Hi Phillip! what David and Bob has already said is what happened. I just wanted to chime in as well. the 5200 is a really fun console, Arkay and I just got so busy with Toy Tomb and other projects we could not dedicate the time the 5200 Super Podcast deserved, so we went on hiatus and David and Bob picked it up. We still do a podcast on the 5200 but its been renamed The 5200 Super Community Podcast and is more of a "fan" cast of the 5200 and not technical like David, Glenn and Bob's podcast is. We promote our listeners to go to the new 5200 podcast to get the nitty gritty details on things. Arkay, Mighty Matt D and I just enjoy doing a round table talking about a game and our experiences with it, Matt does some nice writeups as well on our facebook page on games we will be covering. So there is alot of 5200 love out there with the two podcasts working together :) the original 5200 super podcast was a lot of fun to do though, just did not have the time to invest in it. I mainly focus on my Arcade USA show, Toy Tomb Podcast, Intarivisions, Vectrex Radio and the Channel F Files. Colecovisions Podcast and 5200 Super Community Podcast I will do episodes as time allows. I am already 3 months behind on Colecovisions :P Life has just gotten way to busy......

Edited by thevnaguy
  • Like 1

If everything goes to plan we will be recording Episode 4 tomorrow with a special guest Bill Kendrick.

Star Raiders will be our focus and we will give the deadline for submissions to our giveaway/contest for Tempest.

In order to enter the contest you must send us an email submission explaining why you believe the 5200 was the superior console of its time.

The best answer will win the prize.

theatari5200podcast@gmail.com

post-38693-0-16885600-1491004953_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-23241600-1491004966_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-09677600-1491004992_thumb.png

post-38693-0-08509500-1491005005_thumb.png

post-38693-0-09079300-1491005017_thumb.png

Edited by Protestari
  • Like 1