IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

In this episode of the Atari 5200 Podcast...

The crew covers the game that changed the computer and gaming world, STAR RAIDERS!

David's meticulous notes pay off by giving more detail than you ever needed to know about a single game. Glen keeps the show on track. And Bob waxes poetically about how he wasted his teenage years and how he got lucky only by picking a career that uses video game skills. And since it's always good to get a second set of prints at a crime scene, we drag the ever-amazing Bill Kendrick of Atari Party fame and other retro endeavors into being a guest host to talk about this amazing game.

Memories, Allergies, Technical Difficulties, and more! On this episode of The Atari 5200 Podcast!!!

http://theatari5200superpodcast.libsyn.com/episode-4-star-raiders

• Like 2

In this episode of the Atari 5200 Podcast...

The crew covers the game that changed the computer and gaming world, STAR RAIDERS!

David's meticulous notes pay off by giving more detail than you ever needed to know about a single game. Glen keeps the show on track. And Bob waxes poetically about how he wasted his teenage years and how he got lucky only by picking a career that uses video game skills. And since it's always good to get a second set of prints at a crime scene, we drag the ever-amazing Bill Kendrick of Atari Party fame and other retro endeavors into being a guest host to talk about this amazing game.

Memories, Allergies, Technical Difficulties, and more! On this episode of The Atari 5200 Podcast!!!

http://theatari5200superpodcast.libsyn.com/episode-4-star-raiders

Can't wait to listen to it. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

I played some Star Raiders last night after listening to this. One thing that was mentioned was that you really need to memorize the keypad controls, and I think this is true. I find it really hard to press the keypad keys through the overlays, and would love to memorize the buttons so I can ditch them.

I kind of want to use them just because I only have the overlays for two games, Star Raiders and (oddly) RealSports Tennis.

I played some Star Raiders last night after listening to this. One thing that was mentioned was that you really need to memorize the keypad controls, and I think this is true. I find it really hard to press the keypad keys through the overlays, and would love to memorize the buttons so I can ditch them.

I kind of want to use them just because I only have the overlays for two games, Star Raiders and (oddly) RealSports Tennis.

I also found sometimes that you had to press a little harder when using the overlay.

I got sorta used to playing it without the overlay as time went on.

It just takes practice.

I still like using the overlay as part of the experience.

Capt. Bob doesn't need the overlays as the controls are now second nature for him.

We all know that the CX53 Trak-Ball is big, but has anyone ever noticed that the Owners Manual refers to it as a "console"?

attachicon.gifCX53 Manual.JPG

Well I guess it sorta meets this definition (Computer Science) an electronic device used in playing computer games on the screen of a television to which it is connected.

• Like 1

even back then there was handheld games and console games the 2600 tracball was 50/50 it had bumpon feet but the button area hand a handle area so it could be held and rolled

hell i dont know its all vocabulary there are many terms that mean different things even in peoples minds like for electronics the outer shell of devices is often called the "cabinet" now when i think of that word i imagine a wooden box with a door that has a handle and hinges another would be a "lamp" in any electronic device an internal light bulb is called a lamp now me when i hear a lamp i imagine a cookiejar type base with a lampshade with a switch you push or twist loads of weird terminology out there

Alright...I have a confession to make...I have never played Star Raiders. *Whew*, there I said it.

So after listening to this episode, I quickly decided to buy an actual cart, and the cart just arrived. You guys are a terrible influence. Stop doing such a good job with this podcast. :-D

post-21941-0-00376100-1493492774.jpg post-21941-0-23407600-1493492796.jpg post-21941-0-11249200-1493507669.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 2

Alright...I have a confession to make...I have never played Star Raiders. *Whew*, there I said it.

So after listening to this episode, I quickly decided to buy an actual cart, and the cart just arrived. You guys are a terrible influence. Stop doing such a good job with this podcast. :-D

attachicon.gifSR Front.JPG attachicon.gifSR Back.JPG

I hope you like it. Its not everybody's style of game but it was revolutionary for its day and the 5200 version is the best version.

Thanks for your kind words.

We are trying to make a quality show but also have fun. We do this in our non existent spare time ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, guys.

First off, I've been enjoying the podcast. Nice dynamic, good production, great content and impressive intro as well.

On Star Raiders: I'm a big fan of the game, so thanks for the thorough review. I've only really put in time on the Atari 8-bit computer version (as a kid and current), but I'm intrigued about using the 5200 analog stick with the game, so I'll give it a go - I have the Atarimax cart, but I may pick up a CIB version of Star Raiders since I like having the full thing for some games.

On controllers: I don't really have a problem with the 5200 controller (I've mentioned that on Intarivisions). As long as they are fully functional, they work pretty well for most games. That said, you can't beat the trak-ball for games like Missile Command and Centipede. It really improves the playability of the games. And I do think overall, it's a much nicer unit than the Colecovision Roller Controller. That works well enough, but has a cheap feel to it.

And as anyone who'd listened to The Intellivisionaries, or Intarivisions knows, I'm not a fan of the standard Colecovision controllers and their joy-stubs (pretty sure I coined that phrase, by the way). And the Flashback versions are even worse (I call those joy-nubs, since they're shorter). Both versions have terrible responsiveness, and become painful very quickly. The Super Action Controllers definitely improved on them, but even those are hard on the hands/wrists after a while. Whenever possible, I'll use a Y-adapter and connect a 2600 compatible joystick (my personal favorite is the Kraft "Maze Master" - switchable 4/8 way).

I do have to disagree with you about the Intellivision, and its controllers though (you guys have been a bit harsh on the system). Having used them as a kid, I never found them to be uncomfortable, and found the disc to be more than responsive. Sure, they can make your hands sore after extended play sessions, but so can just about any controller. If I were to list the "classic system" controllers in order of comfort, with 1 being the most comfortable, I'd say:

1. Odyssey 2

2. Intellivision (NOT the Intellivision II controller, that would be WAY lower)

3. Vectrex

4. Atari 5200

5. Atari 2600 (CX40 - 3rd party controllers would rank higher)

6. Colecovision

7. 7800 ProLine

One of you stated - in defense of the 5200 controller - that you need to give it a chance, and get used to it. Can you all honestly say that you gave the Intellivision controller a fair chance, or just a quick few plays, then dismissed it outright? Perhaps you never put in much time with it back in the day? Maybe you were using the Intellivision II controllers? If so, I agree with you, they are AWFUL!! AVOID them at all costs!

And as far as Intellivision controllers go, the Flashback versions are excellent. In some ways they are better than the originals, due to the much softer rubber used for the side buttons. Maybe give those a try (although they require wiring adapters to work with the original consoles, which I make).

I had the 2600 as a kid, then the Intellivision, then the Colecovision, so I experienced them all back then. I felt the same way about them as I do now, although I was able to tolerate the CX40s much longer as a kid than an adult. And the 5200... I didn't have one, but knew a guy who did, but I never got to play it more than a couple times. And I only got my 5200 within the last couple years (thanks to the amazingly generous Willy!), and I was expecting horrible things, since the controllers have such a bad reputation, but I took to it fairly quickly. The side buttons are a little uncomfortable for me, but it's not a big issue.

Anyway, one final thing... you guys seemed very proud of the 5200 pause capability. Even the TV commercial bragged about it. They stated "...it even does something no arcade game can... it let's you freeze the action". Well, there's a reason they specified "ARCADE" game in the ad... because the Intellivision had pause capability built in since launch in 1978. Pressing 1 and 9 on the keypad pauses the game. Don't feel bad. I called out the original 5200 podcast on that too...

;-P

Edited by nurmix

Pressing 1 and 9 on the keypad pauses the game.

I once made a PC remake of Tron: Deadly Discs (I've long since lost it, unfortunately, but I've been considering doing it again, but better this time) and I was kicking myself for not putting the 1+9 pause in the game as a sort of easter egg.

• Like 2

Hey, guys.

First off, I've been enjoying the podcast. Nice dynamic, good production, great content and impressive intro as well.

On Star Raiders: I'm a big fan of the game, so thanks for the thorough review. I've only really put in time on the Atari 8-bit computer version (as a kid and current), but I'm intrigued about using the 5200 analog stick with the game, so I'll give it a go - I have the Atarimax cart, but I may pick up a CIB version of Star Raiders since I like having the full thing for some games.

On controllers: I don't really have a problem with the 5200 controller (I've mentioned that on Intarivisions). As long as they are fully functional, they work pretty well for most games. That said, you can't beat the trak-ball for games like Missile Command and Centipede. It really improves the playability of the games. And I do think overall, it's a much nicer unit than the Colecovision Roller Controller. That works well enough, but has a cheap feel to it.

And as anyone who'd listened to The Intellivisionaries, or Intarivisions knows, I'm not a fan of the standard Colecovision controllers and their joy-stubs (pretty sure I coined that phrase, by the way). And the Flashback versions are even worse (I call those joy-nubs, since they're shorter). Both versions have terrible responsiveness, and become painful very quickly. The Super Action Controllers definitely improved on them, but even those are hard on the hands/wrists after a while. Whenever possible, I'll use a Y-adapter and connect a 2600 compatible joystick (my personal favorite is the Kraft "Maze Master" - switchable 4/8 way).

I do have to disagree with you about the Intellivision, and its controllers though (you guys have been a bit harsh on the system). Having used them as a kid, I never found them to be uncomfortable, and found the disc to be more than responsive. Sure, they can make your hands sore after extended play sessions, but so can just about any controller. If I were to list the "classic system" controllers in order of comfort, with 1 being the most comfortable, I'd say:

1. Odyssey 2

2. Intellivision (NOT the Intellivision II controller, that would be WAY lower)

3. Vectrex

4. Atari 5200

5. Atari 2600 (CX40 - 3rd party controllers would rank higher)

6. Colecovision

7. 7800 ProLine

One of you stated - in defense of the 5200 controller - that you need to give it a chance, and get used to it. Can you all honestly say that you gave the Intellivision controller a fair chance, or just a quick few plays, then dismissed it outright? Perhaps you never put in much time with it back in the day? Maybe you were using the Intellivision II controllers? If so, I agree with you, they are AWFUL!! AVOID them at all costs!

And as far as Intellivision controllers go, the Flashback versions are excellent. In some ways they are better than the originals, due to the much softer rubber used for the side buttons. Maybe give those a try (although they require wiring adapters to work with the original consoles, which I make).

I had the 2600 as a kid, then the Intellivision, then the Colecovision, so I experienced them all back then. I felt the same way about them as I do now, although I was able to tolerate the CX40s much longer as a kid than an adult. And the 5200... I didn't have one, but knew a guy who did, but I never got to play it more than a couple times. And I only got my 5200 within the last couple years (thanks to the amazingly generous Willy!), and I was expecting horrible things, since the controllers have such a bad reputation, but I took to it fairly quickly. The side buttons are a little uncomfortable for me, but it's not a big issue.

Anyway, one final thing... you guys seemed very proud of the 5200 pause capability. Even the TV commercial bragged about it. They stated "...it even does something no arcade game can... it let's you freeze the action". Well, there's a reason they specified "ARCADE" game in the ad... because the Intellivision had pause capability built in since launch in 1978. Pressing 1 and 9 on the keypad pauses the game. Don't feel bad. I called out the original 5200 podcast on that too...

;-P

Thanks Paul for your kind words and constructive opinions.

We are all fans the The Six Million Dollar Man show and I am sure you figured that out pretty soon with our intro and glad you appreciate it.

I never had an Intellivision as a kid but did get it after listening to your podcast.

I loved the look of the system and the variety of games but just couldn't acclimate to the disc and the button layout. Maybe if I had it back as a kid I would have been able to adapt.

Well...may get one again in the future and give it another go as I am sure you heard we all have a collecting problem on the show.

To be honest I play over 90% of 5200 games using Atariguy1021's Masterplay clone and a Genesis game pad or Atariguy1021's and Bohoki's PC to 5200 controller adapter and the PC Mako Controller. For analog games I use the Wico 5200 Command controller or the original controller depending on the game i.e. Star Raiders, Dreadnought play great with original controller.

For paddle games I use a 5200 controller that was converted to a paddle and yes I use the CX-53 trak ball when ever I can as that controller is exceptional for Missile Command, Centipede and Home brew Xari Arena.

The Best Electronics Gold rebuild kit has new side buttons that are more comfortable and have more flex and feedback than the stock buttons. I highly recommend the kit.

And you are right about the pause feature in other consoles. Perhaps what makes it different is you had a dedicated pause button on the 5200. Will mention that fact on the next show.

Again thank you for your feedback and I hope we continue to make a show worth listening to :)

Please feel free to send us a bumper for your podcast and we will play it going forward.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul for your kind words and constructive opinions.

We are all fans the The Six Million Dollar Man show and I am sure you figured that out pretty soon with our intro and glad you appreciate it.

I never had an Intellivision as a kid but did get it after listening to your podcast.

I loved the look of the system and the variety of games but just couldn't acclimate to the disc and the button layout. Maybe if I had it back as a kid I would have been able to adapt.

Well...may get one again in the future and give it another go as I am sure you heard we all have a collecting problem on the show.

To be honest I play over 90% of 5200 games using Atariguy1021's Masterplay clone and a Genesis game pad or Atariguy1021's and Bohoki's PC to 5200 controller adapter and the PC Mako Controller. For analog games I use the Wico 5200 Command controller or the original controller depending on the game i.e. Star Raiders, Dreadnought play great with original controller.

For paddle games I use a 5200 controller that was converted to a paddle and yes I use the CX-53 trak ball when ever I can as that controller is exceptional for Missile Command, Centipede and Home brew Xari Arena.

The Best Electronics Gold rebuild kit has new side buttons that are more comfortable and have more flex and feedback than the stock buttons. I highly recommend the kit.

And you are right about the pause feature in other consoles. Perhaps what makes it different is you had a dedicated pause button on the 5200. Will mention that fact on the next show.

Again thank you for your feedback and I hope we continue to make a show worth listening to :)

Please feel free to send us a bumper for your podcast and we will play it going forward.

Yep, what's not to like about the $6M Man!? Loved that show as a kid, although I haven't seen it since. Might have to pick up the box set and see how it holds up. The Bionic Woman wasn't quite as good, but I watched that one too.

If you didn't have or play an Intellivision as a kid, I imagine it would be a little tough to get used to the controller as an adult.

Quite an assortment of controllers / adapters you use for 5200 play. Wico made a controller for the Intellivision too, but I've heard it's not very good (never tried it myself though).

Upgrading a 5200 controller with the gold kit is on my 'to do' list. I already have the kit (from Willie), and a couple broken controllers (one from Willie, one from Ferg), it's just making the time to do it.

A few years back, Willie sent me one of his micro-switch modded Colecovision controllers. The responsiveness is MUCH better, but it still causes rapid hand cramping; especially on games that use both buttons. I supported the Ed Laddin super CV arcade controller Kickstarter. I bought the bare circuit board version, so I'll eventually put something together which should greatly improve my Colecovision gaming experience.

True, the 5200 did have a dedicated PAUSE button, so it was obvious the feature was there. If you never used an Intellivision, or didn't read the manual, there's nothing that tells you you can pause. They should have promoted it more than they did.

As for the bumper... will do.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...