IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

That's Astrochase, from Parker Brothers.

Thank you.

Watched a YouTube video and this game looks cool. I'm going to load it onto the Atarimax and give it a go. :-D

Lol! The Video Game Critic gave it an F and says..."I've gotten more enjoyment out of games that refused to load". Lol!

Edited by sramirez2008

Since you guys seem to love the pause button arms race, I wanted to clear up a few things.

Intellivision games paused by pressing the 1 and 9 keys simultaneously. I can't recall an Intellivision game that didn't support this, but I'm not an authority on that. I've never programmed for the Intellivision, so I don't know if this pause functionality was built into the system, or if the programmer had to implement it.

The pause button on the 5200 controllers really isn't a pause button at all. From the perspective of the programmer, it's just another button, as are the start and reset buttons. It's entirely up to the programmer to implement pause and reset functionality. There's nothing stopping the programmer from using that button for something else.

So in reality, the 5200 doesn't offer any sort of pause functionality at all. The only thing it has is a button with the word "Pause" stamped on it.

Since you guys seem to love the pause button arms race, I wanted to clear up a few things.

Intellivision games paused by pressing the 1 and 9 keys simultaneously. I can't recall an Intellivision game that didn't support this, but I'm not an authority on that. I've never programmed for the Intellivision, so I don't know if this pause functionality was built into the system, or if the programmer had to implement it.

The pause button on the 5200 controllers really isn't a pause button at all. From the perspective of the programmer, it's just another button, as are the start and reset buttons. It's entirely up to the programmer to implement pause and reset functionality. There's nothing stopping the programmer from using that button for something else.

So in reality, the 5200 doesn't offer any sort of pause functionality at all. The only thing it has is a button with the word "Pause" stamped on it.

Good points, by the way I recently got my copy of Ratcatcher :)

Atari 5200 Podcast exclusive, you heard it here first folks, Thanks to our buddy Steve Averitt from Wired up Retro Channel https://www.youtube.com/cha…/UCWNOKQ9MV7rR8w3dAN8mxtg/videos for this new Discovery. Bohoki PC to 5200 Adapter + Innovation 15 Pin Sony Dualshock/N64 Controller Adapter = Using the Sony Dualshock/N64 Controllers on your Atari 5200. This system just keeps on getting better. The NeGcon controller acts like a steering wheel for POLE POSITION!!!

post-38693-0-57833600-1507810817_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-55862300-1507810839_thumb.jpg

post-38693-0-76631400-1507810848.jpg

post-38693-0-11830000-1507810864_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

really neat adventures he goes through with controllers there is another mode on 5200 the trackball mode i made a switch to make my big digital controller use tracball mode and on games that require analog the digital movements acted like trackball on maximum rotation so instead of instantly pegging the walls in missile command and star wars it just shot over there i really need to explore this when using modern console adapters that use the thumbsticks as digital directions although in some ways i feel like i am putting pirelli tires on a model t i'm still going to be lapped by a chevy

Just to say I'm really enjoying the new 5200 podcasts :thumbsup: Even though I'm an Atari Home Computer user these are great listening and we have ports of most of the games so it's interesting to hear about them. Keep up the good work guys :)

Thank you for the positive words. Its great to hear people appreciate the show.

Thank you for the positive words. Its great to hear people appreciate the show.

You guys make me laugh out loud :thumbsup: I like that you take things so seriously(!) it's really the thing with the Atari time stands still, and the magic is still there. Look forward to the next episode :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Collecting for the Atari 5200 can be very frustrating. However, once you get it working properly, it's a great system!

As you listen to the podcast episodes from the first and ongoing, the 5200 team are always updating listeners with more ways to get the max fun out of the 5200 including alternative controllers and adapters.

• Like 2