IGNORED

Berzerk VE

So I just bought Berzerk VE for the 2600 and when I went to play it I was having issues with the the voice it would not say any of the phrases. I decided hooked my console up to two other TVs and it worked fine. For some reason that one game does not work on my TV, Panasonic Viera. I would not believe it if I didn’t see it for myself. So my question is anyone else having the same problem and is there a seeting on the TV I am missing? Thanks!

There is a reason why, and while it is technical it really is what is going on.

It's up to the programmer to make sure the game keeps syncing with the TV at the proper time. Berzerk VE does not do this the speech is happening. Most older TV's are fine with this, but newer TV's not so much.

Your TV is actually muting the voice speech because it is not seeing the sync signal. If you remember older TV's would display snow when there was no signal and make loud noises. Your TV is muting the sound for this reason (no signal). My 50' Toshiba does the same

While working on the Dr Vs Dalek hack, we found the same problem. We re-wrote the speech routine to keep a steady sync signal while still outputting 262 lines. 262 is not divisible by 4, so we made the routine a little longer. Other choices were making the output 260 or 264 lines for the speech, but I have seen some TV's roll being even 1 scanline off of spec so we just did it properly.

Thanks again for doing that!

You took a small assembly loop that did not build a stable TV signal, and made your stable routine which is quite complex with many branches.

I was playing the Dr Vs Dalek yesterday in emulation with a very cheap Bluetooth speaker, and the Bluetooth was cutting off the beginning of the speech. Maybe it mutes when there is no sound like the TVs and projectors do with a bad signal?

There is a reason why, and while it is technical it really is what is going on.

It's up to the programmer to make sure the game keeps syncing with the TV at the proper time. Berzerk VE does not do this the speech is happening. Most older TV's are fine with this, but newer TV's not so much.

Your TV is actually muting the voice speech because it is not seeing the sync signal. If you remember older TV's would display snow when there was no signal and make loud noises. Your TV is muting the sound for this reason (no signal). My 50' Toshiba does the same

While working on the Dr Vs Dalek hack, we found the same problem. We re-wrote the speech routine to keep a steady sync signal while still outputting 262 lines. 262 is not divisible by 4, so we made the routine a little longer. Other choices were making the output 260 or 264 lines for the speech, but I have seen some TV's roll being even 1 scanline off of spec so we just did it properly.