IGNORED

Atari confessions. Confess your sins

totallyterrificpants

Most younger people do this. I thought the games were outdated in an unplayable way. Wasn't until 6 years ago I gave Atari a shot.

Funny, I consider myself young (being born in late 1995) and practically grew up with 2600 games (cause the first games I played were emulated Atari 2600 and NES games on 2600online.com and nintendo8/retronintendogames) and I never thought there was any problem with them.

I thought of the 2600 and NES as more or less equals in terms of which I liked more, but now I know I enjoy the 2600 a lot more than the NES cause the NES is filled with long platformer titles.

• 2 weeks later...

I took apart a heavy sixer when I was a kid to see how it worked, and couldn't put it back together, so I threw it out.

I used to keep all my boxes until a friend made fun of me for it and I threw them all out.

I should have asked the girl at Kay Bee Toys out who used to sell me Atari Games, but I was too dumb to realize she was flirting with me.

I actually did the same with an Atari joystick and got the same results (I lost the button spring)

I bought a coleco. The coleco homebrew scene is the best in the retro world. With new games being made almost weekly it seems.

Seems to be less and less interest in Atari every year. I think atari will be the first to die off for good unless a new wave of younger people don't come in to take over.

I'm not so old and did not live the atari time, but I do retro and although I have a Ouya with all roms, bought a light sixer atari and I have 14 original games. I love the ET and Beamrider. ah, every time I play, I look at the graph of the cartridge to get in tune. I love to imagine through the label. greetings from Argentina, I used a translator so forgive English!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I love playing my 2600 games, but I'm terrible at most of them.

I think that's the point really... They're fast-paced arcade games not meant to last for an hour.

Which brings me to another sin:

I think that many times people who are "good" rely on exploiting the games in ways which they weren't meant to be played, such as setting the trap in Centipede and leaving 1 rock on the screen in Asteroids forever.

I know this doesn't apply to all games but there were many arcade games where expertise is based on exploiting the games.

Edited by Tangentg

• 2 weeks later...

I bequeathed My entire Atari and Sega (SMS/Genesis) collections to my brother back in 1994 when I was moving out. Everything was boxed and in pristine condition. What a mistake that was! Within a few years, he had either sold or tossed out practically everything I had given him. The only thing that survived was my copies of Outrun for SMS, and John Madden Football, along with Madden '92.

Good thing I decided to keep my Atari 800XL and 1050 drive, which I still have to this day in their boxes.

Edited by PlayDoh003

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My original 2600 Jr. died by my hand I believe.

It stopped working one day and my cousin (if you know my posts, yes, THAT cousin again) told me it was probably the adapter burned out cause he had gone through like 2 or 3 himself. He said leaving it plugged in and getting hot "burns" it out. (Is this true by the way?) and I did have a habit of not unplugging it.

However, I believe the deathblow came when in my haste to play games I recalled seeing an adapter in my sister's room with a bunch of different plugs on the end... ONE of them must fit!

Lo and behold they ALL fit, however, try as I might, one at a time, repeatedly, none would power the system.

And it never powered up again, even when I did get a new Atari adapter.

I NOW know I probably toasted the poor thing, gang-banging it, as I did, with that multi-headed hydra-dapter.

And well, this is more pathetic than a sin...

I also had these "3-D" glasses that were for watching a fire-works display, but I would wear them while playing Defender claiming it was making it 3-D (even though it wasn't) and when my friends said it didn't work I'd just say they must have had crappy eyes or something it worked great for me!

Why Defender you might ask? I remembered reading in the manual somewhere that Defender was a 3-D game, so I assumed you'd need 3-D glasses, and ANY 3-D glasses would do the job obviously! To this day I have no idea WHERE I read that Defender is a '3-D' game. At all. Not even in a passing reference... but, at the time, in MY mind, I had read it somewhere, and by god, in MY mind, I was gonna MAKE Defender 3-D!!!

Edited by Torr
  • Like 2

I have an Atari 2600 Jr, and although I love the thing I would have taken a six switcher woodie had I the chance

Hah.. I had to re-read that first off. My nightshifted brain initially read it as ....

"......I love the thing I would have taken a six inched woodie had I the chance"

Oops :dunce: .... nothing to see here, move along!

Smith... (edit: This is supposed to read SLOTH. Effin' autocorrect!)

I live in a small flat, a 1 big room+ bathroom kind of deal.

I have a big CRT with a Vader plugged in but I have to pick up the console, plug it into the wall and then put it down next to the couch to play.

I keep a 4 switch woody plugged into a tiny CRT next to my laptop.

I have two working 2600 and two TV's in a 5 meter radius because one of them is "too much work" to use.

(In my defense I got both Ataris in an eBay bundle and got the second TV so I could do retrogaming parties.)

Edited by RaccoonyDave

It's a sin that I hate almost everything about Atari's Pac-Man.

•Every sound is bad, from the start tune, to the twang eating, the pop-wop of the power pellet, to the death of your player.

•The colors!? Couldn't get a static blue maze on black right. Ghost monsters have color, but they all appear to be the same color.

•The sprites. Pac-Man is double line square blocky, and does not face up or down. Hard to see ghost monsters on a blue colored background. (Berzerk is double line, and the robots and player have DOZENS of animation images. Pac gets 3? Right closed, open, open more... mirror bit for left)

•Since Pac is not round with a triangle "mouth", add an ?EYEBALL? that the arcade game left out. That'll make the graphics spectacular.

•Gameplay. Barely any, and it isn't smooth and easy, but frustrating, too slow, and clunky.

•No fruit / item levels, or indication of mazes cleared.

What Atari got right: Pac is yellow. There's an escape tunnel from one side to the other. Four ghost enemies (kinda wish it was 3 so they would show up better). It adds up a score.

• Like 2