IGNORED

Behold the ATW800 i just bought

zmame

Good day I recently purchased a large lot of computer stuff and this was part of the lot. This is the new jewel of my collection the ATW800 i look forward to getting it running and documenting here on the atariage forum. I don't have a proper monitor to hook up to the unit as of yet. So that will be my next step. I am also going to take it apart and disconnect the PSU the mother boards and make sure its putting out proper voltage before i try and fire it up.

i hope to video document it and ill keep posting my progress to this thread.

see the pictures attached

post-28714-0-23285400-1470787197_thumb.jpg

post-28714-0-17680900-1470787206_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

you know how rare that thing is?

amazing find, best of luck!

where did you get it?

Holy friggin hell! What an amazing find!

I'm very aware of how rare it's paid a fair bit for the whole lot.. got lots of other rare gems too nothing this rare though.

• Like 1

are you going to use an oscilloscope

to check the voltage levels?

noob question sorry

haha

No just going to use a basic meter to ensure the PSU is putting out proper voltage before i put power to the motherboard. I would feel horrible if the output was wrong and fried something. I hope to start this weekend ill post the video when its ready.

can you put a youtube video up of it going or setting up

i will have youtube of insides, testing, running os and all that good stuff. i have hundreds of old computers a lot of rare ones too so i want to try making youtube videos of them. Hopefully there is enough interest.

I bought %90 of daves old computers collection.. i lucked in indeed my wife would say otherwise though.

only stuff he kept was really old stuff altairs, early chiclet pets, and some 1st gen trs80s.

here is a list of the computers he had http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/

• Like 1

Awesome I got one myself overhere aswell. It runs but haven't done much with it, because there are no active ATW800 users around.

I wonder what stuff you got on the ATW800 harddrive maybe some special code, my runs Helios 1.2 need to upgrade/install 1.3 I got overhere but find it tricky so I gonna find me a second harddisk to try on first to avoid loosing a working booting system.

Post your experience here... I cleaned my ATW it was in pretty good condition mostly dust ...

• Like 1

you guys interested in selling your Transputers?

I'll pay top dollar

(as soon as i hit lotto)

I have have no plans on selling it at the moment. It will be interesting to see what is on the hard drive.

Software included with the unit

ATW 800 boot disk 23.09.89

helios 1.1

MIRA SHADING

X demos

Public domain

if there is anything interesting on the hard drive ill try to back it up onto my HxC floppy emulator and post the images. I will also make a list of the images above and post them so they are archived.

I always wondered what these things were for. What software was made to take advantage of them, and what are all the specs on it? There isn't even all that much information about these online. I do find it rather predictive that they had essentially a Firebee in the form of a Mega ST for this back when it was designed.

Very impressive that you managed to get ahold of it!

Edited by leech

Good day I recently purchased a large lot of computer stuff and this was part of the lot. This is the new jewel of my collection the ATW800 i look forward to getting it running and documenting here on the atariage forum. I don't have a proper monitor to hook up to the unit as of yet. So that will be my next step. I am also going to take it apart and disconnect the PSU the mother boards and make sure its putting out proper voltage before i try and fire it up.

i hope to video document it and ill keep posting my progress to this thread.

see the pictures attached

Congratulations on a great find! Mind if I ask how did you find or make this great purchase? How does someone have a ATW800 laying around to sell. Just incredible!

Congratulations on a great find! Mind if I ask how did you find or make this great purchase? How does someone have a ATW800 laying around to sell. Just incredible!

It wasn't just sitting around, i bought it from a huge collector. I find this system fascinating and like pondering how far tech would be today if this technology took off. There is even talk of the possibilities off artificial intelligence in a processing language called OCCAM. From what I have read the processor was so good at calculating it couldn't be matched until around 2007 processors hit the market (I don't know all the technical details on this yet; but i will).

i found a good video that explains how a transporter works over a traditional CPU

thanks for the video ill add you to my youtube list. you might be abble to login to the atari by network somehow in terminal i see there

are some vids of the compter on youtube to look at.

i got some literature i'm reading on it right now. think the easiest way would be with a monitor (obviously); if anyone knows of a guide to do this i would be all ears.

It wasn't just sitting around, i bought it from a huge collector. I find this system fascinating and like pondering how far tech would be today if this technology took off. There is even talk of the possibilities off artificial intelligence in a processing language called OCCAM. From what I have read the processor was so good at calculating it couldn't be matched until around 2007 processors hit the market (I don't know all the technical details on this yet; but i will).

i found a good video that explains how a transporter works over a traditional CPU

Yes, the Atari Transputer was something I've been interested for a very long time. I was told the Atari Transputer wasn't as powerful as initially thought at the time of conception which was why Atari pulled the plug on it but I definitely hope to see one in action someday and get to experience the only Atari computer I never got a chance to use.

Your system looks to be in amazing shape as well right down to the trademark Atari ST detachable keyboard and mouse!

I'd love to see what 2 of these computers networked together could've possibly produced.

Thank you for sharing! I hope you'll have the time to get some YouTube videos up someday.