IGNORED

Help Compiling XB in to BIN for flashrom99

Sinphaltimus

I tried Compiler 2.12 but it doesn't create .bin files.

What I'm trying to do is run my XB programs from flashrom99 so I need a way to compile XB in to BIN.

I've searched and search for anything resembling a step by step and am at a loss.

You can produce E/A5 program files from Harry Wilhelm's (@senior_falcon's) XB compiler. Those can then be converted with @F.G. Kaal's Module Creator 2.0 to a binary suitable for loading into the FlashROM-99. That, however, does require a 32KiB expansion RAM.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart
  • Like 1

You can produce E/A5 program files from Harry Wilhelm's XB compiler. Those can then be converted to a binary suitable for loading into the FlashROM-99. That, however, does require a 32KiB expansion RAM.

...lee

I downloaded Wilhelm's XB Compiler from tigameshelf but it itself is a bin file. I'm unable to figure out how to open the bin in an emulator and I am in the middle of searching now when I decided to check back here.

Assuming I get the compiler to work and I follow the only video tutorial on the topic, I should end up with a binary that still needs to be converted for the FR99.

How do I do that? I'm looking to do that in emulation if possible since you mention I'd need 32k expansion.

Assuming I can get all that done, do I still need a 32k expansion on the original hardware to execute my XB program using the FR99?

I downloaded Wilhelm's XB Compiler from tigameshelf but it itself is a bin file. I'm unable to figure out how to open the bin in an emulator and I am in the middle of searching now when I decided to check back here.

Assuming I get the compiler to work and I follow the only video tutorial on the topic, I should end up with a binary that still needs to be converted for the FR99.

How do I do that? I'm looking to do that in emulation if possible since you mention I'd need 32k expansion.

Assuming I can get all that done, do I still need a 32k expansion on the original hardware to execute my XB program using the FR99?

The Compiler is zipped - that's why it's a bin file. In Classic99, look for the Arc303G ... you will have it in DSK1 folder. Now, select Editor/Assembler from the cartridge tab and use, I think, option either 3 or 5 forgive me my memory is hazy ... you can tell it DSK1.ARC303G in the input parser ... it will then run. Then you should tell it to unpack files that have a @ symbol on them. It will then spit out the files you need to get it all running.

Or .... if you give me time, later on I will send some files that you need to put in DSK1 that are already unpacked. I'm not in the house at the moment and I'm on a chromebook. But i can help later.

Edited by Retrospect

The Compiler is zipped - that's why it's a bin file. In Classic99, look for the Arc303G ... you will have it in DSK1 folder. Now, select Editor/Assembler from the cartridge tab and use, I think, option either 3 or 5 forgive me my memory is hazy ... you can tell it DSK1.ARC303G in the input parser ... it will then run. Then you should tell it to unpack files that have a @ symbol on them. It will then spit out the files you need to get it all running.

You can also un-ARC the @ file with TI99Dir.

...lee

Or .... if you give me time, later on I will send some files that you need to put in DSK1 that are already unpacked. I'm not in the house at the moment and I'm on a chromebook. But i can help later.

OK, I get as far as extracting a file. Source drive:1 Source file name: Comp_arc (It's actually Comp_arc.bin)

Output drive:2 Extract all files? Y

RED SCREEN: I/O Error #0

I'll be here all day.

Once I figure this out from end to end, I'll do a write up of each and every step I did that works and hopefully get it stickied for the future.

You need to produce an E/A5 program (1 or more 8KiB files) with the XB256 compiler loader. It is those files you convert to a BIN file with Module Creator 2.0.

Yes, you will need the 32KiB expansion on real iron, as well. It is, after all, still an E/A5 program. You will just be using the ROM to copy it to 32KiB RAM instead of loading it from disk.

...lee

You need to produce an E/A5 program (1 or more 8KiB files) with the XB256 compiler loader. It is those files you convert to a BIN file with Module Creator 2.0.

Yes, you will need the 32KiB expansion on real iron, as well. It is, after all, still an E/A5 program. You will just be using the ROM to copy it to 32KiB RAM instead of loading it from disk.

...lee

thanks - that puts the kabosh on so many things. My FR99 is no longer the tool I needed it to be. That's a hard brick wall to hit. So I'm dead in the water with this TI994a stuff. I'll have to stick with emulation.

OK, I get as far as extracting a file. Source drive:1 Source file name: Comp_arc (It's actually Comp_arc.bin)

Output drive:2 Extract all files? Y

RED SCREEN: I/O Error #0

I'll be here all day.

Once I figure this out from end to end, I'll do a write up of each and every step I did that works and hopefully get it stickied for the future.

I'd certainly appreciate a guide!

Classic99 already comes with the XB compiler, XB256, TML, and Playground tools and docs unzipped. :) You'll find them in the 'contributors' folder under 'Harry_Wilhelm", along with contributions from Rich, Tony, and the UCSD_pCode disks. You just have to point your DSK folder appropriately. :)

• Like 3

OK, here's where I am at.

I go in to XB.

load my XB program,
save "dsk2.musickv1_6",merge

I load up XBCompiler and follow all the instructions right down to creating an e/a5 so my final file is now dsk2.musi-a

Where do I find Module Creator 2.0 to convert musi-a for flash99?

I'd certainly appreciate a guide!

Harry provides excellent instructions in the PDF in ..\classic99\Contributors\Harry_Wilhelm\XB256D (as indicated by @Tursi above).

Once you get the E/A5 file(s), Module Creator 2.0 is simple to use to create a cartridge binary. You can get it from Fred Kaal's website.

...lee

OK, here's where I am at.

I go in to XB.

load my XB program,

save "dsk2.musickv1_6",merge

I load up XBCompiler and follow all the instructions right down to creating an e/a5 so my final file is now dsk2.musi-a

Where do I find Module Creator 2.0 to convert musi-a for flash99?

See my last post.

...lee

• Like 1

See my last post.

...lee

Lee Stewart - you have been nothing short of fantastic. I keep hitting brick walls with every step.

I get to the finish line and click Create Module.

Yab Error: Expanded line too long <Routine[bT_CREATE] Line 20> <#callwait(#constant(xa99) -i#function(modfunc).a99 -o#function(modfunc).obj -l#funtion(modfunc).lst -v -r -S -s)>

I suppose I'll have to contact Fred.

EDIT: Annnnnnd there's no contact info for him.

Update, Well I got past the first error by moving the program to the root of an HDD and copying the source there too. But now I get hit with another error - this error is a bit more specific. Some v9t9 header error -

Module Creator
 start: L99
   Linkfile : D:\ModuleCreator_20\Musick\build\MUSI-A.l99
   Mapfile  : D:\ModuleCreator_20\Musick\build\MUSI-A.map
   Errorfile: D:\ModuleCreator_20\Musick\build\MUSI-A.ler
*L99 v1.6.2

*** Loading object file ...
    Inputfile = <D:\ModuleCreator_20\Musick\build\modfunc.obj>
    Module name          = <MODFUNCS>
    Module size          = <0000>

*** Loading program file ...
    Inputfile = <D:\ModuleCreator_20\Assembled\MUSI-A>
File does't have a correct V9T9 program file header

*** Creating cartridge file ...
    BankId  >6000
    Table   address >6020
    Buffer  start address >611C, size >1EE4 bytes
    LO-Mem  start address >0000, size >0000 bytes
    HI-Mem  start address >0000, size >0000 bytes
    Outputfile = <D:\ModuleCreator_20\Musick\build\MUSI-A.bin>
Linker errors
Edited by Sinphaltimus

I suppose I'll have to contact Fred.

He's on this forum: @F.G. Kaal

Update, Well I got past the first error by moving the program to the root of an HDD and copying the source there too. But now I get hit with another error - this error is a bit more specific. Some v9t9 header error -

You can convert the TIFILES header (as it comes from XB256) to V9T9 in TI99Dir (also one of Fred's utilities).

...lee

• Like 1

OK, so I went through the entire process from start to finish undocumented (I have it memorized by now).

And in the end, I get this bin file (see attached)

Musick.bin

Can someone with 32k in their ti put this on their flashrom99 and see if my musick program loads for you?

If this worked, I'm going to get very vocal about adding at least 32k to my ti folks. LOL ;)

Actually, if this works, I will create a tutorial, step by step with download links and a video as a great big thanks to you for helping me accomplish this. Then I will whine about the additional ram.

EDIT: I can see it in the menu of mine but I can't confirm it works since I only have 16k.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I'm going to assume it's not working.

One thing that happened which I can't explain nor do I know what to do about.

When I saved as A/E5 from XB Compiler it gave me 2 files

One was the file name I entered "mus-a" and the other is "mus-b".

From that point on I open each one in ti99dir to convert tifiles to v9t9 for both a and b.
I only select mus-a as the only program to include in the bin cart file using module creator.

Is this the correct process?

EDIT: Or do I have to concatenate somehow?

EDIT2: Or do I only convert the mus-a file to v9t9 and not the mus-b?

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I'm going to assume it's not working.

One thing that happened which I can't explain nor do I know what to do about.

When I saved as E/A5 from XB Compiler it gave me 2 files

One was the file name I entered "mus-a" and the other is "mus-b".

From that point on I open each one in ti99dir to convert tifiles to v9t9 for both a and b.

I only select mus-a as the only program to include in the bin cart file using module creator.

Is this the correct process?

Indeed, it is. Module Creator 2.0 knows how to manipulate all the serialized files in the E/A5-program-file chain.

...lee

• Like 1

Here's the video showing the steps I took. Some mistakes along the way, I'm tired. Unfortunately I can't test these myself.

https://app.box.com/s/dzjs4ng77jsztzzoil5y2duk1qi8f9on

And the bin file resulting from the video.

attachicon.gifbob.bin

Thanks for doing this because even the best instructions can be difficult for newbs to understand. Assumptions, etc...

Thank you for putting it all together!

Thanks for doing this because even the best instructions can be difficult for newbs to understand. Assumptions, etc...

Thank you for putting it all together!

This isn't what I would call the final version. Just quick and dirty. I can do a much better job once I get confirmation of pass/fail since I can't test on my own until I get my TI upgraded.

For those who insist on using V9T9-format files, you can tell Classic99 to use V9T9 headers when writing files to any folder with a configuration checkbox. The main limitation to ensure interworking is keep filenames to 8 characters or less and avoid punctuation. (Classic99 doesn't use the 8.3 DOS filename format, so longer names will look wrong to other tools, and not all punctuation is handled the same way.)

That will at least save you the header conversion step. :)

Edit: if you don't want to change the config, you can ALSO do it per-file with a filename option: "DSK1.?V.FILENAME" -- the ?V means to use a V9T9 header. Same rules on the name apply, of course.

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

Is there an alternative to v9t9 when going from XB to FR99?

For those who insist on using V9T9-format files, ...

You probably already know this; but, unfortunately, the problem is with Fred's tool, Module Creator 2.0, which insists on that particular header format. Perhaps he could be persuaded to modify it to allow TIFILES headers—he certainly knows how, given that his TI99Dir can convert both ways.

...lee

• Like 1

Fred's one of the last holdouts on V9T9 format, I believe. He just prefers the character mapping that it provides.

But there is no such thing as "FlashROM99 format", technically. It just runs non-inverted ROM cartridges up to 32k in size. So you can use any system already out there for creation. Unfortunately my own tools still produce only inverted images (as that was the first common large cartridge image we had), meaning you need an extra step to flip the banks around. Somewhere on here we had a huge thread about how to create images in various ways. Classic99 has a tool built in (but again, you'll need an inverting tool like Rasmus released until I get around to adding the "non-inverted" export), that I discuss using here:

• Like 1