IGNORED

Minimizing jailbar/vertical lines on 2600?

AtariLeaf

Is there a way to minimize the effect of jailbars/vertical bars through the rf of a 2600? I get the same effect on multiple consoles with multiple rf cords and multiple power supplies. It can be lessened by adjusting the brightness of the tv but that just masks the issue. It is similar to the jailbar effect of an nes toploader but not quite as prevalent.

You talking about the black lines on the left side? The system uses that to track things on the screen. Some games get rid of that (basically by filling the whole side so its not noticeable) but you loose 3 background pixels doing that.

If our talking about on screen most notable in scores that is because the system can only have so much per scanline. Its the bars or flicker...or less on screen stuff.

Little can be done about either. Some games make better use of ataris limited resources though. Look at activision and atari titles. Most are pretty well done (and excellent games to boot)

Never seen jailbars on my 2600, either on RF on my Vader, or the composite on the Junior.

Though on that image, the guy got the brightness turned way up, as the background should be black, and not grey.

Gonna take another look on my machines, with more brightness, and see if I can find any jailbars.

Edit: Can't find any on my systems.

Edited by Steel76

I've had that happen before, but it was system specific. A different 2600 did not show the problem on the same tv. Since multiple systems are doing it, I suspect the vcr, too.

Did you ever narrow down the problem on those systems and are there other possibilities I should consider?

Edited by AtariLeaf

Is there a way to minimize the effect of jailbars/vertical bars through the rf of a 2600? I get the same effect on multiple consoles with multiple rf cords and multiple power supplies. It can be lessened by adjusting the brightness of the tv but that just masks the issue. It is similar to the jailbar effect of an nes toploader but not quite as prevalent.

Have you tried a ferrite core?

Maybe it is the video cable. I hooked up a junior with which I plugged in a higher quality cable and no lines. I'm actually surprised how well the video is on a junior.

Juniors can be quite good or bad, depending on the junior.

So, the junior with the lesser quality cable shows lines? If it turns out to be the cable, I am going to kick myself. I always thought it was a resistor or some such that needed to be replaced and I was never able to find the right one.

Of course, if it's the cable, easy solution!

Sorry got my horizontal and vertical mixed up. Must have been drinking again :D

That's interference. Could be the Tv or the console. Like said try less brightness. A new switchbox might help too. Also try moving the Tv/console. They could be picking it up somewhere else and even a few inches could help. Some tvs and some ataris just don't like each other if possible try a different system or set.

I've. Always had decent luck with image quality and reception while most people hate on coaxel hookups.

Juniors can be quite good or bad, depending on the junior.

So, the junior with the lesser quality cable shows lines? If it turns out to be the cable, I am going to kick myself. I always thought it was a resistor or some such that needed to be replaced and I was never able to find the right one.

Of course, if it's the cable, easy solution!

No the junior had a better cable. All the other systems I tried were light and heavy sixers which have the standard cable that Atari put in themselves BITD. With the junior you plug in your own av cable so I used a more modern, perhaps better shielded cable for the junior and it had no lines in it.

Sorry got my horizontal and vertical mixed up. Must have been drinking again :D

That's interference. Could be the Tv or the console. Like said try less brightness. A new switchbox might help too. Also try moving the Tv/console. They could be picking it up somewhere else and even a few inches could help. Some tvs and some ataris just don't like each other if possible try a different system or set.

I've. Always had decent luck with image quality and reception while most people hate on coaxel hookups.

I don't use a switchbox, but one of the newer coax to rca adapters that everyone uses. I may have another old crt tv out in the shed I could bring in and try if it still works.

No the junior had a better cable. All the other systems I tried were light and heavy sixers which have the standard cable that Atari put in themselves BITD. With the junior you plug in your own av cable so I used a more modern, perhaps better shielded cable for the junior and it had no lines in it.

I get you. Sorry for the confusion in my previous post, I had to read it back to myself a couple times. I thought you had tried two different cables with the junior and only one of the cables gave you the jail bars. I should have worded it better.

• Like 1

I have the Chinese Junior and no jailbars. But I do get some RF interference on some CRT TVs. I have found out that using the indoor antenna box, where you plug the 2600 in and then plug the lead from the box into TV, eliminates the RF interference issue to almost perfection. I am using the standard RF cable that comes with the Junior console (of rather poor quality I believe).

• Like 1

I tried experimenting a little. I took my main light sixer and swapped out the cable with the one I used to get a perfect picture on my junior but I still get the faint vertical lines throughout on the light sixer unless I fiddle with the brightness just right so its not the cable. My sears heavy doesn't seem to have it but my atari heavy has it but not as pronounced. It's odd because if its a shielding issue shouldn't the sixers have the best picture and the junior the worst?

BTW I was playing my 800XL last night and had the same vertical lines as my light sixer and I know I have them in my coco 2 machines.

Bottom line question - is this an RF interference problem or should I be looking at other possibilities?

Edited by AtariLeaf

I tried a 7800 and a Coco 2 with no vertical lines but it is on various atari systems. i tried to take a picture but its hard to tell but if you look closely, especially at the bottom of the screen, you can see the bluish thin vertical lines running through the whole screen.

I had to kind of tilt my laptop monitor to notice them in the picture so sorry if its hard to see. And to be clear I'm NOT talking about the blue line on the far left. These are very thin, faint bluish lines running vertically all over.

post-2493-0-22894400-1471826816_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariLeaf