IGNORED

Minimizing jailbar/vertical lines on 2600?

AtariLeaf

Oh cool! No wonder I couldn't find any on eBay; I was searching for "Atari 6532" all this time, not the part number on its own.

yep. That one was an "off the shelf" component.

I had a 6er once that had vertical shadows on the score numbers and the fonts just didn't look right. Swapping in one of these fixed it.

• Like 1

yep. That one was an "off the shelf" component.

I had a 6er once that had vertical shadows on the score numbers and the fonts just didn't look right. Swapping in one of these fixed it.

Hmm the one you linked is "manufacturer refurbished". There are others that are "New" though.

Not sure if I want to get one or buy a set of 5 and play lottery.

These vertical shadows are like the jailbar lines we're describing or something else?

Not sure as it was long ago. The scores appeared almost in an older font style than they should have with vertical black shadows on the right side of each digit. Unfortunately, I did not snap a picture of this display. I do remember using Missile Command to test it afterwards.

Hmm the one you linked is "manufacturer refurbished". There are others that are "New" though.

Not sure if I want to get one or buy a set of 5 and play lottery.

I had just linked the first one I found running a simple 6532 IC search on evilbay. :) Someone else on here did buy a lot of 5 and it turned out to be a good thing as the first one he tried was bad. The other 4 worked fine.

I pulled out another sears light sixer that I haven't tried in a long time - no lines. So the RIOT could be the culprit? Without opening these up, are the sixers generally socketed boards?

Maybe we can compare the schematic for the sixer and 4-switch to see what could be causing it (Eg. A different capacitor somewhere?).

My non-modded Atari Jr. doesn't show vertical lines either.

Only 6ers and Jr's had the 4050 hex buffer. It actually took some of the load off the TIA as many of the functions were passed through it. 4sw systems had the buffer eliminated and suffer higher TIA failure rates as a possible result.

Edited by zylon

I'm going to try and swap a riot out of a good system with one of the jailbar systems and see if that makes a difference before i order anything. I'm not totally convinced its the riot that is causing the jailbars. The shadows on the numbers could be RF too couldn't it? ALL my RF systems have some blur or shadows like is seen on the scores.

I'm going to try and swap a riot out of a good system with one of the jailbar systems and see if that makes a difference before i order anything. I'm not totally convinced its the riot that is causing the jailbars. The shadows on the numbers could be RF too couldn't it? ALL my RF systems have some blur or shadows like is seen on the scores.

True. In my case, it was like pieces of the numbers were missing. I do not see that on any of these pics.

• Like 1

I'm kinda hoping it is the Riot though. If it isn't, I'm still in the same boat - mysteriously owning several systems with an annoying symptom no one can seem to identify for sure or what causes it or how to fix it.

Or, and this one is important to me - why I have several systems with this problem when almost no one else has it or has even heard of or seen the phenomenom.

Atari 2600's aren't supposed to have jailbars

• Like 1