IGNORED

Removing a low-profile IDC from header pins?

Larry

I have a couple of devices now that have these low-profile IDC's on them, and they seem to be permanently attached. The most recent is the Rev E IDE+2. These resist my fingers to the point of my being afraid that I will break the PCB or pins when trying to remove them. Is there a "trick" or desirable method? Surely they come off, but wow, they are tightly attached. Hate to go at them with tools...

Thanks,

Larry

At the moment, I don't, but ribbon cables do fail. Why didn't you make the board 1 cm longer so that a "standard" connector could be used and we would not have problems with inserting cartridges?

It is a very nice device, and I do like it, but it does strike me that things like this should be caught during beta testing. Ditto compatibility with the Ultimate 1 MB.

-Larry

• Like 1

When the ribbon cable fail, you can eventually open the IDC connector, remove the cable and press fit the new one. But I don't expect this because it is very good quality connector.

Unfortunately, I was not able to test the interface with all existing extensions and devices, because I don't have most of them. Moreover each beta tester means one device left. It is possible at the expected 200 orders, but not at 20-30.

But thanks to the CPLD design, it is possible to upgrade in the future, when some of the compatibility issues are fixed. The Veronica, Antonia and IDE+Rev.E devices have the same JTAG connector and require the same programming hardware and software - Altera Quartus II 9.1sp2 (free web installation) and USB Blaster to buy for a few bucks on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xusb+blaster.TRS0&_nkw=usb+blaster&_sacat=0

Only the IDC10 connector have to be replaced with Micro-Match connector

Jacek

• 1 year later...

When the ribbon cable fail, you can eventually open the IDC connector, remove the cable and press fit the new one. But I don't expect this because it is very good quality connector.

Unfortunately, I was not able to test the interface with all existing extensions and devices, because I don't have most of them. Moreover each beta tester means one device left. It is possible at the expected 200 orders, but not at 20-30.

But thanks to the CPLD design, it is possible to upgrade in the future, when some of the compatibility issues are fixed. The Veronica, Antonia and IDE+Rev.E devices have the same JTAG connector and require the same programming hardware and software - Altera Quartus II 9.1sp2 (free web installation) and USB Blaster to buy for a few bucks on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xusb+blaster.TRS0&_nkw=usb+blaster&_sacat=0

Only the IDC10 connector have to be replaced with Micro-Match connector

Jacek

Hello Simius-

My 50-pin cable has apparently failed, so now I need to replace it. Can you provide a link where I can get some more information about this 50-pin miniature IDC. I don't see this connector anywhere (usual sources). I've opened many of the regular IDC connectors, but I cannot see how this one opens, and I don't want to break it and end up having to desolder the connector. It looks really fragile.

Or perhaps you can make a sketch as to how it opens? I can see the joints, but cannot determine how it "locks" together (or how to unlock it).

Thanks,

Larry

I have not found information on how to "unlock" this IDC header, and I'm very reluctant to try to desolder the pins on it with the very fine traces on the IDE+2. (If anyone ever buys this header, it would be great if they could post a picture of how the pieces lock together.)

But I came up with a solution. Since the cable supplied is fairly long, and it takes "abuse" at the computer end (attaching and detaching), I reasoned that the damage must be at that end. So I cut several inches off the cable and attached a new piece with conventional IDC's. I don't like the idea of the additional connectors on the cable, but it passes successive runs of RWCRC (from drac030) with zero errors. As a bonus, since the new piece will now take the stresses of un/plugging at the PBI, it will be very easy to replace if the issue crops up again in the similar location. And fortunately, this fix did cure my problem!

post-8008-0-89447900-1509879525_thumb.jpg

-Larry