IGNORED

Tape Games

nd2003grad

Good question. Lemon64 has icons regarding which members own a game on either tape, disk or cartridge but I'm not 100% sure it means a game once existed on the same formats for which there are icons. Gamebase 64 is great, but it doesn't say anything about original format and the files it links to usually are single filed which is great for playability but nothing to collect, if that was one of the ideas.

Generally, I think the older the game, the more likely to find tape exclusive games. Also European budget games are more likely to only have appeared on tape.

Out of the Top 100 games rated by users (minimum 20 votes), the only game lacking a disk version is Mad Doctor but I'll be the first to admit it is a game I've never heard of, much less played or know why it would not have deserved a disk version.

If you're looking for great tape only titles for the C64, then the best place to start would be the budget releases, as most of those never made it to disk. Games such as Thrust, Warhawk, Spore, Slayer, Joe Blade, Kikstart II, Arnie, Chimera, CJ's Elephant Antics, Slicks, Zybex, Master of Magic, Finders Keepers, I Ball, Zamzara, Zolyx, Raging Beast... that's a few to begin with.

Many very early games released in the UK were tape only, but most of those aren't worth mentioning, bar say Jeff Minter's early releases.

• Like 1

If you're looking for great tape only titles for the C64, then the best place to start would be the budget releases, as most of those never made it to disk. Games such as Thrust, Warhawk, Spore, Slayer, Joe Blade, Kikstart II, Arnie, Chimera, CJ's Elephant Antics, Slicks, Zybex, Master of Magic, Finders Keepers, I Ball, Zamzara, Zolyx, Raging Beast... that's a few to begin with.

Many very early games released in the UK were tape only, but most of those aren't worth mentioning, bar say Jeff Minter's early releases.

I wonder how many UK tape-only games were released in US on disk? I seem to remember Mastertronic perhaps having some disk releases in USA?

Zybex from Zeppelin Games for A8 had a disk release, not for C64?

Edited by high voltage

I wonder how many UK tape-only games were released in US on disk? I seem to remember Mastertronic perhaps having some disk releases in USA?

Zybex from Zeppelin Games for A8 had a disk release, not for C64?

Yes, Mastertronic released a number of budget titles on disk in the US. So did Firebird, although it usually released them as two games in one package. In fact, the double pack of Sabre Wulf and Underwurlde is rather sought after, because you can't find either game on disk in the UK. You had the offer to upgrade from tape to disk in the tape box, but to this day, I've never seen a UK version of either game on disk.

Zeppelin did release some C64 games on disk, but I don't recall Zybex appearing in that format. Maybe because it was the first C64 game the company released and they were still testing the waters.