IGNORED

Beginner help with IntyBasic

dalves

Hahahahaha, I like that idea. Superb or (Non-suck graphics) mode.

I think you're right Tarzilla. One of the things the best Intellivision games seemed to do is change things slightly along the way to keep the game interesting and the difficulty advancing.

Edited by dalves
  • Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't even bother duplicating the 2600 look, I'd just start with Worm War 2 (and I'd spend more than 5 minutes doing graphics) I'd also change the scrolling direction every now and then (4 to pick from) and powerups (hidden and visibile,) secret zones, two player coop (but players can damage each other) and so on...

post-38229-0-47375700-1477507849_thumb.png

• Like 1

On, the other hand, sometimes it is good to walk before you try to run...

I played Worm War 1 quite a bit when it first came out, and I thought it was a simple, fun, elegant game.

(At the time I was envious of people who were allowed to design games around the limitations of the 2600, while at M Network we had to work on ports of Intellivision games).

A version of Worm War 1 that was as close as possible to the original would be a valuable addition to the Intellivision game library,IMHO.

Games like "Galaxian", "Galaga", "Gorf", "Phoenix", etc are arguably improvements and enhancements on the basic game play of "Space Invaders". But sometimes, I just want to play "Space Invaders".

The game looks good so far. The next step (I guess) would be to slow down the scrolling effect, and sync up the vertical motion of the sprites with the scrolling.

Catsfolly

On, the other hand, sometimes it is good to walk before you try to run...

I played Worm War 1 quite a bit when it first came out, and I thought it was a simple, fun, elegant game.

(At the time I was envious of people who were allowed to design games around the limitations of the 2600, while at M Network we had to work on ports of Intellivision games).

A version of Worm War 1 that was as close as possible to the original would be a valuable addition to the Intellivision game library,IMHO.

Games like "Galaxian", "Galaga", "Gorf", "Phoenix", etc are arguably improvements and enhancements on the basic game play of "Space Invaders". But sometimes, I just want to play "Space Invaders".

The game looks good so far. The next step (I guess) would be to slow down the scrolling effect, and sync up the vertical motion of the sprites with the scrolling.

Catsfolly

You are right, but I still would rather play "Space Invaders" on the arcade than the conversion for the Atari VCS, with less flicker and bigger play-field for more invaders. ;)

My point is that, simple is good, but that is not the same as incorporating incidental limitations of more primitive platforms.

-dZ.

Catsfolly, I think you and I might be in the minority when it comes to enjoying the simplicity of the Atari 2600 version of Worm War 1. ;-)

Just a random question... Is the Intellivision game contest something that is done every year or is it just random? If it is a yearly contest, does anyone know when you would need to submit a game by? I have an original game I'm working on that it taking shape pretty well and I was thinking I might submit it if I can get it done in time.

Catsfolly, I think you and I might be in the minority when it comes to enjoying the simplicity of the Atari 2600 version of Worm War 1. ;-)

Just a random question... Is the Intellivision game contest something that is done every year or is it just random? If it is a yearly contest, does anyone know when you would need to submit a game by? I have an original game I'm working on that it taking shape pretty well and I was thinking I might submit it if I can get it done in time.

*sigh*

People need to stop making these false equivalencies. "Simplicity" is fine and all. However, not using colours or not taking the time and effort to make better graphics when there is no actual technical limitation, sounds more like a cop-out than "simplicity."

That was all. I enjoy simple games on the Atari, but even "back in the day," good ports took advantage of a platform, rather than carry over alien limitations unduly.

All that said, it's your game, you do as you wish, so if you want to ignore feedback that is your prerogative. However, don't distort suggestions as some sort of "non-purist" misunderstood challenge.

dZ.

I think you will find that among many posters and lurkers here, especially the programmers, you'll find the variations of the following sentiments:

• We can enjoy the simplicity of the 2600 Worm War 1, and can play it many different ways, real console, emulators etc.
  • Because we know what the Intellivision is a more capable of with respect to graphics, audio, control and cart size (though we do long for the rainbow effects possible with the 2600) we are not fans of straight conversions of 2600 games that don't use the enhanced capabilities. You can replicate the feel and mechanics but you can also improve it and extend it.
  • We know the gameplay and presentation can be greatly improved upon. There are existing examples of that.
  • The programmers here have been very good about providing respectful, constructive advice to new converts to the Inty development niche, we just want great games, not half assed, banged-out-over-the-weekend, "I have a game on cart" vanity releases that have happened in the 2600 world.

For many of us the above will color any of our posts, don't take it personally. By all means, replicate original 2600 WW 1, just don't expect a lot of oohs and aahs from us :) ;)

As for the contest, there was one running at this time last year, it is a lot of work by the organizers/judges but it was very successful so maybe it will return next year, mind you it could start anytime the organizers have time or desire.

• Like 1

Guys, I didn't say what I said to make anybody who posts suggestions feel like they are not appreciated. Actually nothing could be further from the truth. I greatly value the feedback of everyone and different point of views. I am a long time artist and musician and I know how easy it is to have blinders on when you're too close to your own work. A fresh perspective is ALWAYS helpful. For me, I have always felt that porting a game meant keeping it as close to the original as possible. Anyone who has looked at any of the code I've posted knows I am very much a novice and at this point creating a crappy Atari 2600 game would be a major achievement for me. :) The "wink" given to Catsfolly for his comments on this game were simply because I think he summed up my feelings on the game very well. Perhaps having two different modes, an "Original" and "Advanced", would be an nice way of having the Atari 2600 version ported but also having a version that plays to the strengths of the Intellivision.

Thanks Tarzilla for the info on the contest. I'll keep working on my game and hopefully have something worthy to submit if they run the contest again.

Edited by dalves

We will run the contest again. We just had trouble getting it started this summer due to many different reasons.

We also would like to get a new version of IntyBASIC SDK out before, and I haven't had a chance to work on that.

Hopefully early next year a contest can be arranged.

• Like 1

• ..we just want great games, not half assed, banged-out-over-the-weekend, "I have a game on cart" vanity releases that have happened in the 2600 world.

For many of us the above will color any of our posts, don't take it personally. By all means, replicate original 2600 WW 1, just don't expect a lot of oohs and aahs from us :) ;)

As for the contest, there was one running at this time last year, it is a lot of work by the organizers/judges but it was very successful so maybe it will return next year, mind you it could start anytime the organizers have time or desire.

I expect we will have vanity games and beginners releasing their first efforts (including mine!). Some we'll like and some not so much. What I don't expect is an overall cynicism that poisons the waters. It's always a pleasure to read through these topics. Y'all are awesome and I can't wait to test out my LTO Flash :) Carry on!

• Like 1

Hey guys, this may be another stupid question here, but is there a way to toggle on and off the "Visible" or "Behind" commands in a Sprite statement or do you just need to point to a separate Sprite statement with those commands left out? Basically what I'm looking to do is have some Sprites be behind the background at certain X,Y coordinates but then be in front of the background at other locations.

Hey guys, this may be another stupid question here, but is there a way to toggle on and off the "Visible" or "Behind" commands in a Sprite statement or do you just need to point to a separate Sprite statement with those commands left out? Basically what I'm looking to do is have some Sprites be behind the background at certain X,Y coordinates but then be in front of the background at other locations.

Use something like :-

DEF FN togglespritebehind(aSpriteNo) = #mobshadow(aSpriteNo+16)=#mobshadow(aSpriteNo+16) XOR BEHIND

REM Make sprite 0 go behind the BACKTAB cards.
togglespritebehind(0)
REM Make sprite 5 go behind the BACKTAB cards.
togglespritebehind(5)
I will add the toggles for VISIBLE and BEHIND to the next release of constants.bas

Wow, that is fantastic!!! Thank you so much Groovybee...

I'm hoping to post a rough draft ROM of my first game soon, maybe even today. It's taken shape pretty well, but I'd LOVE to get some feedback from others about it. I think I am too close to it and I'm curious about other's opinions of what's good, what's bad, and how much replay value the game potentially has.

• Like 1

For anyone who is interested, here is the latest ROM of my first game. Its still is in the developmental stages. Rounds 1-3 have the speed and arcade feel I was going for. Round 4 seems dull in comparison and I may end up making this a Bonus Round at the end of the level. Round 5 is still early in the going and I have plans to add much more to it.

I know the background and alien explosions have the feel of Astrosmash and I will be changing that down the road too.

The premise is to destroy the specified number of "Lander" ships before they hit the ground and destroy a city. Each lander requires 20 hits to be destroyed. If all 3 cities are destroyed, the game is over. On "Round 5" the objective is to destroy the mothership's 3 reactors. Each reactor requires 60 hits to be destroyed. Once a full level is completed, any destroyed cities will be regenerated.

The player's ship has a few different functions. The lower buttons fire the vertical missiles. The top left and right buttons will fire side missile to the corresponding side. The down directional will engage the player's shield. The up direction will engage the thrusters. The thrusters don't serve much of a purpose now, but I have plans for them. I have given the player 50 lives for now because in the current state, you can lose a bunch of lives quickly.

INV30A.rom

• Like 1

Hey guys, Sorry about the last ROM. I decided to change 1 small thing that I thought wouldn't cause any problems and then when I played the game through it was crashing randomly after getting your player hit too many times. I believe I reversed the mistake and here is the new ROM. If anyone has any troubles, let me know.

INV30B.rom

• Like 1

Hey guys, Sorry about the last ROM. I decided to change 1 small thing that I thought wouldn't cause any problems and then when I played the game through it was crashing randomly after getting your player hit too many times. I believe I reversed the mistake and here is the new ROM. If anyone has any troubles, let me know.

Looks good, not like any game I remember. I didn't have an idea what to do, I pressed keys and moved disc but I'm unsure if I did something.

Please can you put a small manual?

I'm sure I can throw together a quick manual, Nanochess. Just as an aside question, which emulator are you using to play it. I've been building the game and testing it in MESS/MAMEand it's been working perfectly. When I tested it in JZINV this afternoon, the controls did nothing. Not sure if it a problem with my computer or if others are having the same problem.

Just tried the game in Nostalgia and it works fine too.

Edited by dalves

I had the same problem with Jzintv, controllers seem not to work. Keypad 5 starts game. If I keep hitting left [Alt] (right controller, lower left action) it slows down until game crashes. It does runs in Nostalgia.

As for the game, for the brief moment I tried, I recommend Lander should change colors/blink/wobble to indicate progress, like in the 2600 game Empire Strikes Back.

I'm sure I can throw together a quick manual, Nanochess. Just as an aside question, which emulator are you using to play it. I've been building the game and testing it in MESS/MAMEand it's been working perfectly. When I tested it in JZINV this afternoon, the controls did nothing. Not sure if it a problem with my computer or if others are having the same problem.

Just tried the game in Nostalgia and it works fine too.

Oh, I see, if you're changing sound registers make sure the mixer is setup to SOUND 4,,$38 any value higher than >= $40 will disable Intellivision controllers.

jzintv is the only emulator that emulates correctly this, and it's a good idea because in real hardware happens the same.

Here is a brief manual for the game. I hope it helps. If there is any additional information that is needed.

mmarrero, On the final round, when you try to destroy the Mothership reactors, I have them change color like you mentioned. I was planning to do that with the landerships as well, but kept them the same color for now and flashing red when they are hit.

Nanochess, I haven't programmed any sound into the game and I have earlier versions of this game that allow the controls to work in JZINV. I'm wondering if I added something in one of the revisions that disabled the controllers. Apparently version 19 works in JZINV, but 20 or higher don't. I'll have to check the .BAS file to see what I added in version 20.

Invasion User Guide.txt

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Groovybee, your hint about it being a "Print" problem helped me find it. I added the code below for drawing the mothership a while ago. Since I wasn't getting any errors and it was still working fine in MESS, I didn't think anything was wrong.

PRINT AT (1+LVLP) COLOR CS_TAN, "\118\95\95\208\208\95\95\95\208\208\95\95\95\208\208\95\95\119"
PRINT AT (22+LVLP) COLOR CS_TAN, "\118":PRINT AT (37+LVLP) COLOR CS_TAN, "\119"
PRINT AT (1+LVLP-20) COLOR CS_TAN, "\116\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\117"
PRINT AT (1+LVLP-40) COLOR CS_TAN, "\118\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\119"
PRINT AT (1+LVLP-60) COLOR CS_TAN, "\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95\95"
PRINT AT (1+LVLP-80) COLOR CS_TAN, "\116\0\0\0\0\116\95\95\95\95\95\95\117\0\0\0\0\117"

I assume it is the printing off screen that is causing the problem as once I deleted those lines, I got the controller function back in JZINV. I'll have to fix this and after I test it in JZINV, I'll post a new ROM. Thanks again for helping me find the problem. :)

• Like 1

I was trying to get a new ROM to post up today, but it may have to wait. I don't know if the problem is the 8 bit variable that is getting assigned a 16 bit value like Groovybee mentioned, but in JZINV the game is crashing in the middle of round 3 for some reason. It seems to work fine on the other emulators. I may have to take the weekend and see if I can track down the problem. I hope anyone using other emulators will be able to play the game for the time being. I guess these things happen when your a hack programmer like me. :)