IGNORED

Famicom Joust prototype discovered

empsolo

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/16/12502364/this-could-be-the-first-code-satoru-iwata-ever-wrote-for-nintendo

According to the article an early prototype of the Famicom version of Joust was just recently purchased. According to the article, the prototype was done by HAL Laboratory as part of the planned Atari-Nintendo deal to distribute the Famicom in the Americas.

What's interesting is that, as the article points out, a young Satoru Iwata who had recently left Commodore Japan for HAL had been the one commissioned to do the Famicom port of Joust. This might be Iwata's first line of code on a Nintendo project.

• Like 2

That was my reaction when I came across the prototype ROM file of Joust that was included with the HAL version. After seeing "Atari Inc. 1983" on the screen I was wow, something from the Atari Famicom deal that could have been...

Glad to see a physical copy that exists.

That was my reaction when I came across the prototype ROM file of Joust that was included with the HAL version. After seeing "Atari Inc. 1983" on the screen I was wow, something from the Atari Famicom deal that could have been...

Glad to see a physical copy that exists.

That's not a prototype ROM, that is the actual Famicom version that HAL published in 1987!

There were others before we found the seller, but they're all gone now. As soon as we were able to verify that one of them seemed legit, we bought everything that was left except a copy of Mario Bros., because the manufacturing dates on the EPROMs were after the game was already in stores. Maybe I should have gotten it anyway but I was already spending a lot on a gamble...someone else has it now.

There were others before we found the seller, but they're all gone now. As soon as we were able to verify that one of them seemed legit, we bought everything that was left except a copy of Mario Bros., because the manufacturing dates on the EPROMs were after the game was already in stores. Maybe I should have gotten it anyway but I was already spending a lot on a gamble...someone else has it now.

Well lets just hope they are as sharing as you are.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...