IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic April 7th-9th,2017

Dan Iacovelli

I haven't seen classic stuff for sale at the MGC in years (well mega common stuff, but nothing interesting). It's all NES and newer these days.

I dunno, we saw that 4K Level I TRS-80 for, like, $300. Wasn't somebody selling a complete Atari 800XL rig, too? And some other vendor had those CIB or NIB Atari 400/800 tape games for $30-50 a pop... :roll:

It's not like there's *nothing* for pre-crash gamers anymore, but the point still stands: it is overwhelmingly NES onward now. Still, I was able to grab some stuff like Robin Hood for Atari 2600, Impossible Mission for Atari 7800, a couple of C64 carts, and an XEGS joystick last year. But I wouldn't count on finding that kind of stuff if I was specifically hunting for them--they were "purchases of opportunity." :-D

I'll still do the TRS-80 MC-10 for Sean because it's tiny so why not? :P

The MC-10 is awesome. Jim Garrie makes some surprisingly good games for such a tiny ancient machine.

I dunno, we saw that 4K Level I TRS-80 for, like, $300. Wasn't somebody selling a complete Atari 800XL rig, too? And some other vendor had those CIB or NIB Atari 400/800 tape games for $30-50 a pop... :roll:

It's not like there's *nothing* for pre-crash gamers anymore, but the point still stands: it is overwhelmingly NES onward now. Still, I was able to grab some stuff like Robin Hood for Atari 2600, Impossible Mission for Atari 7800, a couple of C64 carts, and an XEGS joystick last year. But I wouldn't count on finding that kind of stuff if I was specifically hunting for them--they were "purchases of opportunity." :-D

Not sure it was the same booth but someone had a CoCo 1 for a ridiculous price as well, and a common game cart for like $70.

The vendor tent is starting to make me sad, it's not just the lack of pre-NES stuff, it's how insane the prices have gotten. Will we hit the $1500 mark for a boxed Earthbound this year? :roll:

I'm still jealous you scored that XEGS joystick.

• Like 1

Have my ticket. Trying to work out a deal with the MGC folks to get Pie Factory Podcast a space to share with Super Podcast Bros. If all goes well, we'll be there representing the podcasts, and if all goes even better, we'll do live episodes, or at the very least a live episode of The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast. :)

• Like 2

The MC-10 is awesome. Jim Garrie makes some surprisingly good games for such a tiny ancient machine.

Not sure it was the same booth but someone had a CoCo 1 for a ridiculous price as well, and a common game cart for like $70.

The vendor tent is starting to make me sad, it's not just the lack of pre-NES stuff, it's how insane the prices have gotten. Will we hit the $1500 mark for a boxed Earthbound this year? :roll:

I'm still jealous you scored that XEGS joystick.

I can't even keep up with all of Jim Gerrie's games. He cranks them out like there's no tomorrow. I know he recently made an Alien game, based on the movie tie-in that came out on Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum back in the day, that I'll have to take for a spin. That kind of game could lend itself to BASIC pretty well. Trouble is he does a lot of arcade conversions...which do not. :P

I don't remember the CoCo, but I don't think $70 with a common cart is bad if it's got 64K, Extended Color BASIC, and is in good condition (don't remember if this one did and/or was). CoCo commons alone seem to start at $10 a pop these days.

The vendor hall used to make me kind of freak out in a way, ha. There used to be soooo much stuff there I wanted to add to my collection, especially when Ianoid used to come up (he always had *exactly* the stuff I was hunting for, and all kinds of other weird esoteric shit too :-D), that it was actually mildly overwhelming and I'd get anxious. :lol: Especially being on a budget. What with the paradigm shift in game collecting over the last 10 years, it grieves me to say I don't really have that problem anymore. I usually get better deals in the AA marketplace anyway, even with shipping. (Although the guy took, like, $20 for that Robin Hood cart for the 2600...pretty awesome, I'd say.) I think I've decided I'm going to start upgrading my Odyssey 2 and common Intellivision loosies to boxed/CIB, so I should at least be able to knock some of those out at the show, if nothing else.

Man, CoCo carts and XE joysticks...I feel like I'm stepping all over your toes here--maybe I should start going after 3DO games or something and get out of your way? :P That XEGS joystick was a pretty random find, you practically never see those without the console they were bundled with. Could you even get them separately BITD? I don't think I've ever heard of another XEGS owner who has a matching pair.

I don't remember the CoCo, but I don't think $70 with a common cart is bad if it's got 64K, Extended Color BASIC, and is in good condition (don't remember if this one did and/or was). CoCo commons alone seem to start at $10 a pop these days.

Oh, I meant they wanted $70 for just the cart. The CoCo was priced well above $100, and it was a gray one with the crappy chicklet keyboard.

Heh, and I just bought a 3DO like a month ago... I don't know why, I guess because it was there on the store shelf.

All Atariage members should have some sort of a button or such so we recognize each other.

I agree! This was my post from last year's topic:

"It would be cool to see some other Atari Age people in person at the show!

Last year I had an Atari Age pin on the back of my backpack, hoping someone from the site would see it and stop me to introduce themselves.

I have an old Philly Classic name badge (I think) I could add on my backpack this year I could put on.

Anyone else have any other ways they can think of that we can all meet up, or other ways of identifying themselves?"

I did put that Philly Classic name badge on my backpack, but no one introduced themselves to me, nor did I see anyone else sporting an AA gear. :woozy:

I agree! This was my post from last year's topic:

"It would be cool to see some other Atari Age people in person at the show!

Last year I had an Atari Age pin on the back of my backpack, hoping someone from the site would see it and stop me to introduce themselves.

I have an old Philly Classic name badge (I think) I could add on my backpack this year I could put on.

Anyone else have any other ways they can think of that we can all meet up, or other ways of identifying themselves?"

I did put that Philly Classic name badge on my backpack, but no one introduced themselves to me, nor did I see anyone else sporting an AA gear. :woozy:

I actually have an idea about this, now that I think about it. I have the equipment and supplies to make Atariage round buttons. If I had the names of everyone going, I could make some beforehand, and give them out at the Pie Factory table...

• Like 1

Anyone interested in stacks of gaming magazines? I have tons of old Nintendo Powers, Gamepros, Electronic Gaming, and other 90's computer magazines that are in various conditions (from good to beat up) that I want to get rid of, but probably aren't worth the cost of shipping. If someone is interested in a trade or cash offer I can bring them to the show. I really need to get these to good home.

Anyone interested in stacks of gaming magazines? I have tons of old Nintendo Powers, Gamepros, Electronic Gaming, and other 90's computer magazines that are in various conditions (from good to beat up) that I want to get rid of, but probably aren't worth the cost of shipping. If someone is interested in a trade or cash offer I can bring them to the show. I really need to get these to good home.

Ooooh......THAT caught my attention. Must resist question on what Electronic Gaming (Monthly? EGM 2?) and Gamepros...you....have.......

I plan on going with my daughter as that's our "birthday thing" for her. She is jonesing to play more pinball. I'm debating on taking my stepsons another day, though I'd have to run that past their father. They never really saw anything arcade like, so this show would probably cause them to explode. It'd be nice for them to really recognize the existence of other games beyond PokeMon and Minecraft.

Yeah, prices are getting out of hand. My original plan was to get Castlevania for the Saturn and one of those PSOne screens, but they were $150 and $70 respectively. The price for the screen actually wasn't too bad, but I'm sure I'll be able to find a better deal somewhere else. The funny thing about Castlevania is I checked the prices online a few weeks before the MGC, and I could have sworn it was selling for between 80 to 100 bucks. Ever since the event though, the price for the game has remained around $150.

I did manage to find some decent deals, but that was because I mostly bought Saturn and Playstation imports (Suikoden II for 15 bucks!). As for classic stuff, I remember seeing one vendor selling a decent amount of boxed 2600 games, but don't remember seeing anything else from that era.

My purchase list is once again largely pre-crash stuff that I know will be in short supply, but you never know. I got lucky last year on a few items. Also managed to get a handful of master system and turbo games at a decent price, shockingly! I feel that since most of the focus is on 16 bit stuff and NES, you can get away with some reasonable prices on other stuff.

And if anyone is interested in the Retronauts panel, I will be there!

Edited by ubersaurus

I have a button making machine at home. I can make some professional buttons. Who would want a button with your AA ID on it? Pie Factory WILL be there on Saturday and Sunday (with the Super Podcast Bros,) and you could pick up a custom button with your name on it free of charge at the PFP / SPB table. Not sure where we're going to be as of yet.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 2

Dauber has those. Dauber, do we have any?

We indeed have any.

BTW, FWIW...last year I didn't really have much of a chance to explore the marketplace...only things I bought were a picture from Jeffrey Lee and a copy of the Explosive Diarrhea 2600 homebrew. Grand total: $20. Can't really comment on other prices.

I remember at Video Game Summit last summer the vendors' game prices were pretty reasonable.

• Like 1