IGNORED

Battle of the Ports

Stunned at how decent that thing turned out to be.

So was I. If this had stereo sound and HDMI timing that worked well with capture devices then I'd probably keep this set up as a second unit.

Power Instinct or Gōketsuji Ichizoku as it was originally called in Japan is one of the many 1 on 1 fighters that tried to cash in on the Street Fighter franchise but unlike many this has a lot of interesting and original ideas. In fact it was so popular in Japan that it went on to have 4 follow ups with the last appearing on the Neo Geo by Noise Factory.
Let's take a look at the original and it's two ports.

A game I really don't care for but it was requested many times so here it is :)

I think the SNES version wins out on this one, mainly because of the controls. The SNES gamepad is just so well suited to Robotron/SmashTV/Total Carnage type controls. You get the original gameplay the arcade creators intended.

I think the SNES version wins out on this one, mainly because of the controls. The SNES gamepad is just so well suited to Robotron/SmashTV/Total Carnage type controls. You get the original gameplay the arcade creators intended.

We live in a day and age when theoretical controller differences have long since been neutralized and you can use pretty much any kind of controller on anything.

Of course you still had multiple stock-SNES style pads available for Genesis bitd.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=genesis+ascii+pad&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOs4rboqHWAhXm0FQKHRGQD6kQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=947

Hey nice review, mind blown how cheap that was and yet decently functional. The audio was a little off (coin jingle in SMB1), but the visuals seemed fine so not bad overall. If I were someone who rolled around to places in need of some cheap entertainment that would be a good good buy.

Yeah, I agree. It's a very good device for the price. I just hope that not all of them have the joystick issue that mine had.

A game I really don't like on this week's Battle of the Ports but since it was requested a million times, here it is.

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree. It's a very good device for the price. I just hope that not all of them have the joystick issue that mine had.

A game I really don't like on this week's Battle of the Ports but since it was requested a million times, here it is.

The C64 version has some trippy sound.

I actually didn't know there was an Arkanoid port on the C64 back in the day. I spent most of my time playing Krakout III which was a pretty good clone of Arkanoid. I had found it buried in a neighbours pile of floppies.

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 1

As always, great comparison video!The Arkanoid video brought back some memories for sure. I personally like the game a lot. The first Arkanoid game I played was actually the sequel, Revenge of Doh, on an Apple IIGS in my 4th grade classroom. I have no clue why, but the teacher had a copy of it we could play every once in a while. I had played Breakout on the 2600 and Alleyway on the Game Boy and loved those. Arkanoid added lasers, and lasers make everything better. :D

• Like 2

I know it isn't quite the intent of the thread as it seems more retro centric pretty much, but I'm thinking if this thread is bad for it, one of its own could work but by the looks of things Switch is going crazy with ports from bigger hardware and not maybe suffering much for it at all. It could make for a fun video study with the side by sides popping up of Doom lately. Skyrim and Wolfenstein 2, RiME, Sine Mora EX, sports stuff and more should get some video looks in the near future too.

As always, great comparison video!The Arkanoid video brought back some memories for sure. I personally like the game a lot. The first Arkanoid game I played was actually the sequel, Revenge of Doh, on an Apple IIGS in my 4th grade classroom. I have no clue why, but the teacher had a copy of it we could play every once in a while. I had played Breakout on the 2600 and Alleyway on the Game Boy and loved those. Arkanoid added lasers, and lasers make everything better. :D

Beleive it or not, I actually own Revenge of Doh for the Super Famicom. Never played it though as I know it will drive me nuts. One day though I will power it up.

I know it isn't quite the intent of the thread as it seems more retro centric pretty much, but I'm thinking if this thread is bad for it, one of its own could work but by the looks of things Switch is going crazy with ports from bigger hardware and not maybe suffering much for it at all. It could make for a fun video study with the side by sides popping up of Doom lately. Skyrim and Wolfenstein 2, RiME, Sine Mora EX, sports stuff and more should get some video looks in the near future too.

Ah, sports games. Not the type of game I play or even own. I like sports but I want to play them for real. The only sport games I enjoy playing are car based mostly. Mainly because I've received way too many speeding tickets over the last 15 years. Could have but a new car the amount of fines I've paid :( oh well, I learnt my lesson the hard way.

I don't care for sports games much either, they have to be fairly specialized in how it is done. Neo Turf Masters/Mario Golf (GBC) style, F-Zero/old school Mario kart style, Baseball Stars ...that kind of stuff. I've never really had to deal with speeding tickets other the one time a cop intentionally set me up to get one nearly a decade ago. Dude was in an unmarked totally black mustang windows and all and tailgated me no more than 2-3ft off my bumper for nearly 2 miles. I was boxed in except up front so I sped up to get around the dude right of me (was in fast lane) and the ass writes me a ticket who caused the situation. Had I not been leaving town weeks later I would have fought it hoping he kept dash cam footage. Dude even at the side of the road acted smug and laughed about it, then did it immediately to another car as he pulled away from me and saw he had another pulled over a mile down the road again.