IGNORED

PS4 Slim - No 4K Streaming, No UHD Blu Ray, No 4k Upscaling.

MotoRacer

Well here it is. Price is unknown, but apparently this has been confirmed to be the real deal. Looks pretty cheap, and the cool LED lights are gone. Still an eraser shape, but oddly rounded looking. The top reminds of a 3DO for some reason....

No HDR, 4k Streaming, UHD Blu Ray, or 4K upscaling. Hmm :/

post-44598-0-75648000-1471839917_thumb.jpg

post-44598-0-39584600-1471839918_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's pretty much as i expected, a model that is cheaper for Sony to produce and thankfully it's not as cheap and anything but cheerful, as that wretched Super Slim PS3 (that really did smack of budget grade electronics)....

Putting HDR, 4K Streaming, Ultra Blu ray in it would of pretty much defeated the entire point of the exercise in my humble view, as it'd just pushed price up and when your looking to the Neo as the high end PS4 option, you want to make it as attractive as possible to those not looking to get into VR, but say own a 4K TV so you want Neo to be seen as the PS4 Elite model, the Slim your entry level machine.

I'd assume standard PS4 model manufacturing will soon stop, this will replace it as soon as existing stocks run out?.

Plastic looks a bit cheap though...

Slim model XB1 has it. And they're pretty much the same systems, outside of the whole Live vs PSN thing.

But the successor isn't due until next year. Here, the more powerful PS4 is due this Fall, isn't it?

I'd say this makes more sense for Sony's case given that. They'll have the cheapest PS4 that they can offer alongside a premium, more capable model for those that want those things.

Edited by Atariboy

Nothing is worse than the super slim, with that cheap feeling sliding disc cover. I traded in my slim for that model, and felt immediately ripped off.

I actually got this slim model because of this feature. Why? Because slot loading drives are bad design. If something happens to a regular drawer drive then you can push a straightened paper clip into a pinhole to pop open the drive. If it is a flip open drive (like the PS2 Slim) then you can simply flip open the top. If something happens to a slot loader then you have to take the entire fucking thing apart to get your disc out. I had this happen to me on both my older Mac Mini and a first gen PS3. So when I heard of this model I went for the 12GB hard driveless version so I could put my own 128GB SSD drive and have not had any problems with this unit.

• Like 4

I actually got this slim model because of this feature. Why? Because slot loading drives are bad design. If something happens to a regular drawer drive then you can push a straightened paper clip into a pinhole to pop open the drive. If it is a flip open drive (like the PS2 Slim) then you can simply flip open the top. If something happens to a slot loader then you have to take the entire fucking thing apart to get your disc out. I had this happen to me on both my older Mac Mini and a first gen PS3. So when I heard of this model I went for the 12GB hard driveless version so I could put my own 128GB SSD drive and have not had any problems with this unit.

When I first saw videos of the PS3 Super Slim, I thought, "Man, Sony is really being cheap with this thing." But, now that I have one, I actually like the design. I've had no issue with the manual sliding door, it's smooth and it works. I think the most important thing to consider is that it will more than likely be the more reliable design in the long run.

• Like 2

Makes sense to make a cheap model and a standard model....I'll never buy it though. If the Neo comes out that will be it for me.

I agree on the super slim, it's actually a much better console than what it looks like. I prefer a flip lid like a Dreamcast or slim PS2 if I had a choice between that and a load tray.

I picked up a cheap super slim with no hard drive.....stuck a 1TB SSD in it and it rocks. Looking past the plastic wafer look it's very cool (doesn't get hot), way more energy efficient than previous models and has a quiet fan.

• Like 1

I'd have prefered a top loader in similar fashion to a DC or PS1 as well. For me, the sliding door felt cheap, and the plastic on the system as a whole felt lighter and "chineseier" than the original Slim model.

We'll see how this is built, but honestly, I think I'd sooner buy a 1st gen. Looks better, and as soon as this model comes out I'm sure it'll plummet in value.

There's nothing wrong with the current size of the ps4. They were sensible with their design unlike xbox. Unless my console craps out before the 3d consoles come out I don't see me getting one.

At least the slim doesn't appear to have that tacky ass glossy print magnet surface.

Edited by Video