IGNORED

Why did Atari not follow Percom Standard?

mytek

Does anyone have this code? I couldn't find it.

You can try here. That's an archive with all ROMs for the Mega Speedy project that includes the 1050 Turbo ROM (which you'll have to disassemble yourself).

Reportedly ABBUC got the code from the original author Bernhard Engl but I didn't find it on the webpage (but did not search very thoroughly).

• Like 1

Actually, the firmware is different. But then again, that depends on what you mean by the "same" or "different"... a few bytes here or there can be ignored or scrutinized.

If you have different dumps of the 1050 ROM, I would like to see. I am aware there are 2 or 3 releases, K, L, and M?

The release code is at location $FF9 in the ROM as an ASCII letter. You can also read it with the undocumented $24 diag command.

If you have different dumps of the 1050 ROM, I would like to see. I am aware there are 2 or 3 releases, K, L, and M?

The release code is at location $FF9 in the ROM as an ASCII letter. You can also read it with the undocumented $24 diag command.

I'll see if I can dump my WST version this weekend. I believe its listed as "REV 5" on the sticker. The Tandon K,L,M and possibly another are floating around in another thread discussing the 1050 or Indus ROM versions.

post-4566-0-88735200-1472264058_thumb.jpg

I think that 1978 date may be misleading or not quite tell the whole story. I think Percom's did not come out for Atari until 1983

http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v9n6/114_An_alternative_to_the_Ata.php

Lot's of double density systems including IBM @160k and 180k SSDD and CP/M systems by then. Atari had its 815 on the drawing board and the 1050 wasn't designed in house. If I have it correctly, it was designed at Tandon and didn't become an Atari product until after the failure of the 815. So the 1050 was designed to compete with the 810 by Tandon so even the modest increase in capacity with 26 sectors/track was good'nuff. Still a less then optimum design given the technology available for several reasons. The voltage doubler circuit so it can use a 9 VAC supply, picking a 128 byte RAM. Certainly by 1982-3 the 1k & 2k static RAMs i.e. 6116s, were available and probably about the same price.

It's too bad about the 815, the board was clearly designed to support DSDD floppies, but they opted to leave the second RW head and supporting electronics unpopulated on the PCB. See for yourself - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/186285-atari-815-whats-inside/

Edited by fibrewire