IGNORED

FS: System Fairchild (Channel F) homebrew Pac-Man.

e5frog

@vectrexroli

If the Multi-Cart is bought after 2012, it's not a problem, if it's an older Multi-Cart it could be a problem. I don't know if it's a problem with just my setup or possibly just my ITT machine. I haven't had any problems like this with Luxor VES, Luxor VEC, Grandstand, SABA, SABA 2, Fairchild VES nor Channel F II. If I ever get a Democart 2 (the only bidder on the eBay-one sniped 5s before end and got it for start bid of $450) I may not want to try it in the ITT. The SABA #20 (Chess) may suffer from the same problems... it only has two small capacitors for four logic chips, four RAMs, two ROMs the memory interface, maybe they had sturdier chips - don't know.
I'm starting to lean more towards me having a defective machine - but other people could have an equally aged ITT and have the same problems. Adding caps at the cartridge connector should help prevent future chip destruction.

I finished the new Pac-Man PCB design, will get a prototype done this week, test it and then order the PCB:s. Mostly it's a change of 5V and GND traces (resulting in retracing the entire board) and adding more decoupling caps, so it will be able to take more abuse. Just need to order some more capacitors as well.

EDIT: Ordered caps, should be here within a week.

@fdr4prez Love the "IT Crowd", watched all the episodes this summer. Turning it off and on didn't work (these machines are supposed to be hot swapped anyway), memory controller and memory address selection chip were probably (quietly) blown at first contact.

Edited by e5frog

Prototype (properly made this time by my dear colleagues at the PCB factory) soldered and tested, no problems at all in any of my five different models.
New design is as expected successful - or it was just a bad memory interface that was used the first time and I ended up making a better design even though it wasn't needed - we will never know.

It's currently in attract mode on the ITT after trying to drive the wife crazy with the siren sound (hold button 3 or 4 at attract screen and it plays two sound effects that wasn't possible for us to fit in the game code).

I paid the order for the PCB:s, will get an e-mail when something happens in the ordering process, I'm not 100% sure they'll accept my nice logos that I posted a picture of earlier - we'll see.
Order is for 20pcs of blue boards with gold plating (so called Electroless NIckel + Gold or ENIG) - so I might be able to offer more than the ones listed already.

Earlier today I checked all logic chips to see if they were working properly - all were OK, also set up a test cartridge for the memory interface so I can check those properly before soldering.

So, what to do with the two prototype boards? I'm thinking I might offer them for sale - the one who wants one gets their order shipped first (of the already paid ones) - or I'll offer it maybe $10 cheaper when the other ones have been sold - or I'll just sell it like any other cartridge as there's no functional difference.

They're the same chips and layout as the large order, the details that differ is green soldermask, no silkscreen (white text print) and plain old HASL (Hot Air Surface Levelling) with plain old lead free tin - like all the earlier Pac-Man carts and over 100 Multi-Carts.

What do you think, is anyone immediately interesting in getting their cart first? It would be nice making good use of the board now that it's fully soldered and working.

Prototype board, new design 12kB Videocart:
Videocart12k_B_proto.jpg

• Like 1

Got confirmation that PCB order was sent to manufactuer yesterday, expecting them next week or the week after.
Received two types of capacitors for the new design today, only missing the last one and the rest of the memory interfaces - that I have gotten no reply about yet, I'm not getting them for $15 each from eBay... unless I have to.

• Like 1

Prototype (properly made this time by my dear colleagues at the PCB factory) soldered and tested, no problems at all in any of my five different models.

New design is as expected successful - or it was just a bad memory interface that was used the first time and I ended up making a better design even though it wasn't needed - we will never know.

It's currently in attract mode on the ITT after trying to drive the wife crazy with the siren sound (hold button 3 or 4 at attract screen and it plays two sound effects that wasn't possible for us to fit in the game code).

I paid the order for the PCB:s, will get an e-mail when something happens in the ordering process, I'm not 100% sure they'll accept my nice logos that I posted a picture of earlier - we'll see.

Order is for 20pcs of blue boards with gold plating (so called Electroless NIckel + Gold or ENIG) - so I might be able to offer more than the ones listed already.

Earlier today I checked all logic chips to see if they were working properly - all were OK, also set up a test cartridge for the memory interface so I can check those properly before soldering.

So, what to do with the two prototype boards? I'm thinking I might offer them for sale - the one who wants one gets their order shipped first (of the already paid ones) - or I'll offer it maybe $10 cheaper when the other ones have been sold - or I'll just sell it like any other cartridge as there's no functional difference.

They're the same chips and layout as the large order, the details that differ is green soldermask, no silkscreen (white text print) and plain old HASL (Hot Air Surface Levelling) with plain old lead free tin - like all the earlier Pac-Man carts and over 100 Multi-Carts.

What do you think, is anyone immediately interesting in getting their cart first? It would be nice making good use of the board now that it's fully soldered and working.

Prototype board, new design 12kB Videocart:Videocart12k_B_proto.jpg

Hey e5frog,

I would take 1 of the prototypes as a 2nd copy, if you could wait 2 weeks for payment on it.

Let me know and thanks again! Really,really looking forward to this!!!! :D

• Like 1

@stupus, I can number this "-2" and ship ahead - basically as soon as boxes turn up then you can send payment for another in two weeks, sounds OK?

I just bought a smaller batch of memory controllers from Germany to cover this batch - so that problem is solved, it's possible they'll be ceramic with gold plate... from the looks of it - exciting.

• Like 2

Got a shipment of memory controllers today, nice old box, looked like it was from the 60's, nice foam inside and a hard styrofoam box "Lucas Aerospace Ltd Birmingham England"... took the lid of.. chips in a bunch, they had been pushed into styrofoam plates and given enough room to shake loose. A few bent legs, not a big problem I think - but I got two wrong chips, some peripheral I/O chips instead of memory interface. Worst case I have to buy some expensive chips for the last carts, not a big problem.

Got the small capacitors today as well, cases came in yesterday, all loose Luxor ones - so if anyone wants a particular Luxor version (1,2,3,5, 9,13,15) let me know before I start harvesting.

Had to order some new large caps, the 220nF I bought was more 160nF-190nF which might be enough but not what I have tested with so it was easier to get a new batch from someone else, got the few $ back though.

Box-prints also came in yesterday with the edge labels and I printed the other two labels.
IMG_6123.jpg
Guess I can start cutting boxes as well as cut and hand-laminate labels...

• Like 3

Printed a bunch of booklets yesterday on the special sized paper I had left from last batch, with some horrible staining on some prints (some crease made the paper brush against print head) I ended up short of three instructionbooklets, will have to get some more special sized papers for those (Width 121,1 mm; Height 376,1 mm). This long paper goes through the printer three times so there's three chances to mess it up.

I finished cutting the first box, I like the material that was used this time, it's new for my printhouse and a bit sturdier than what has been use before.

I'll finish the prototype cart no later than this weekend, cart is already done, just need to glue the box and fold instructions.

Edited by e5frog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...