IGNORED

IDSA Orders VIC-20 Roms To Be Taken Down!

http://games.slashdot.org/games/03/05/01/1...tid=202&tid=186

I mean I know they can because by law someone still holds the copyrights to those games, but come on! It's the Vic-20 we're talking about here! Yeesh! This doesn't bode well for other more popular systems... Watch out Ti-99/4a, you're next!

Tempest

If you follow the link to comp.sys.cbm, somebody posted IDSA's "feedback form" URL, which doesn't require you to submit a name, e-mail address, or anything whatsoever - you can simply plug in your comment and hit send. I think you can guess what my comment was. :wicked:

Well, at least we can rest easy knowing that unscrupulous people are no longer preventing the original programmers from reaping their well deserved benefits...

... oh yeah, except for the fact that there are no benefits left to be had, and any benefits that were to be had would definitely not go to the programmers anyways.

I can see shutting down warez sites and such, but this is just pointless and stupid. The IDSA definitely wasted money in paying lawyers to even consider this junk. Since it's now very slightly harder to get VIC-20 roms, and the IDSA just bought themselves an even worse reputation, the only people who benefit from this at all are the lawyers.

God bless America.

--Zero

It's times like these I think all lawyers should be beaten over the head with hockey sticks, repeatedly. Or better yet, slap shot several pucks fresh out of the icebox right into their cranium (with no helmet on).

Wow, talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I can understand if a system administrator removed the files (anus protectus) but some company that's supposed to be representing current video game vendors? If I was a current vendor I'd withdraw my support from these yoyos for ticking off my best customers.

Eric

Wow, talk about biting the hand that feeds you.  I can understand if a system administrator removed the files (anus protectus) but some company that's supposed to be representing current video game vendors?  If I was a current vendor I'd withdraw my support from these yoyos for ticking off my best customers.

Eric

They have a monopoly though. If you're a vendor and you don't go with IDSA you get shut out of the market. Just imagine telling ASCAP, BMI, and RIAA all to go to hell and then trying to manufacture and distribute 250,000 copies of your new album - not gonna happen, nobody would carry it. Or try telling Ticketmaster to fark off because their service fees are too high and then have a nationwide concert tour. Good luck.

It's times like these I think all lawyers should be beaten over the head with hockey sticks, repeatedly.  Or better yet, slap shot several pucks fresh out of the icebox right into their cranium (with no helmet on).

Sounds like a great new 2600 game!

We understand that you have roms for games for the ENIAC on your website.  We request you remove them, or our lawyers will rip you a new one.

Next thing you know they'll go after ROMS for the Atanasoff-Berry Computer.

Archived