IGNORED

Obscure NES/SNES games

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I did some digging since I made that post.  It's a four game series, the SFC one is #3, and the NG came just after as the last, but they're closely similar other than what better the NG could do with its hardware for visuals etc.  I think it would be a solid game to go fishing for, though I really should get it for my neo geo.

I tried it on my Neo Geo not long ago. It's okay. Not my type of thing, as I'm not really too fond of top-down racing games where you can't see the entire track, but it works.

I'm usually not either, but there are cases and Rally I enjoy.  There are the three, but the more and more I read up on all of them it has the most high points, though Over Top is pretty close, Thrash Rally is the joke of the litter, and even then it's not bad, just not amazing.

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I did that on my original SNES, in time, and this was from lots of game use, tab removal ruined my cart reader slot as the lack of the pegs due to the space the cart door allowed caused it to spread out from wobble/gravity.  It got so bad I had to wedge something in there or it would just drop the games if it moved.  Better off seriously getting a SFC to SNES adapter or using a third party thing like a SuperNT where it's snug.  I really do miss my old SFC collection, but the prices in the last 5 years or so have been sick, CIB games that I had now, the loose ones cost as much or a bit more which SUCKS.  I loved those colorful boxes and manuals I'd slowly try and translate.  Temptation is there, has been for years, but I haven't caved...yet, though I do have around a dozen or so FC/FC pirates. :D

Hmm maybe I don't play enough SNES to wear them down. Haven't had any issues yet. I'll keep an eye out for that though, maybe I'll toss a piece of soft velcro in the back to act as a small "push" to keep the cart upright.

I trolled SFC stuff for a while and found some good deals, but yeah when I went back a checked a few games...sheesh. I paid less than $15 shipped for the Hudson collection a few years ago, now it is $30+.

Some great titles I haven't really heard of.  Thanks everyone for all of the titles.

From me, here are some that I have encountered that haven't been listed yet.  They are:

SNES/SFC: Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou, The Irem Skins Game, and Super Naxat Open

NES/Famicom: Cadillac, Crackout, Mendel Palace, and Rock n Ball

9 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Hmm maybe I don't play enough SNES to wear them down. Haven't had any issues yet. I'll keep an eye out for that though, maybe I'll toss a piece of soft velcro in the back to act as a small "push" to keep the cart upright.

I trolled SFC stuff for a while and found some good deals, but yeah when I went back a checked a few games...sheesh. I paid less than $15 shipped for the Hudson collection a few years ago, now it is $30+.

Yeah it's a general warning.  In the latter half of the 90s into the early 00s I was pretty regularly at a local shop or using early ebay before it soured buying quite a few SFC carts, probably had 30 of them or more, definitely more counting on what I didn't keep vs kept so was used daily.  Between general pre-tab filing down from day the system came out to present, it eventually just gave up bothering without a support.  I ended up selling it to someone else sadly who was willing to deal with cardboard or trying to replace the guts on it which I wasn't.  I had found a nearly new SNES mini at that point, swapped it out.

I would probably do as you said, just put a taped in bumper or some sort along the back end in there or front where it may not be seen, something so it's snug and won't wobble the space looser over time.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to recommend one, because they got so much uniquely right, but ruined the key element rendering the game very hard to find any fun, the flight/gameplay mechanics.  Carrier Aces on SNES is stunning, a WW2 campaign where you take off from a flat top and lead raids on japanese zeros or do bombing runs on their fleets.  It's a rare bird seeing a game like that on the system, and visually and audio too are amazing, but the gameplay is just borderline broken.  I've tried over time to like the game, but I can't, it plays just that bad.  Go find a video, it's obscure right down to the random company that made it.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I would love to recommend one, because they got so much uniquely right, but ruined the key element rendering the game very hard to find any fun, the flight/gameplay mechanics.  Carrier Aces on SNES is stunning, a WW2 campaign where you take off from a flat top and lead raids on japanese zeros or do bombing runs on their fleets.  It's a rare bird seeing a game like that on the system, and visually and audio too are amazing, but the gameplay is just borderline broken.  I've tried over time to like the game, but I can't, it plays just that bad.  Go find a video, it's obscure right down to the random company that made it.

And then there's Steel Talons which seems even more broken than Carrier Aces:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

And then there's Steel Talons which seems even more broken than Carrier Aces:

So,   that's what that looks like.  Looks kind of fun actually...Hehaa...Still when I think of the name "Steel Talons",   (Not just a Great Name for a Bad mid 80's Hair band),  I just think of that Hawk fellow on Buck Rogers.  Remember he had that ship that looked like a hawk and ummm,  it had Steel Talons?

4827104_orig.jpg

• Haha 3

Various SNES racers which have become obscure over time:

F1 Pole Position | F1 ROC: Race of Champions | Power Rangers Zeo: Battle Racers | Race Drivin'

Cyber Spin | Al Unser Jr.'s Road to the Top | RPM Racing | Newman/Haas IndyCar featuring Nigel Mansell

The Duel: Test Drive II | Speed Racer in My Most Dangerous Adventures | Battle Grand Prix | ESPN Speed World

Full Throttle: All-American Racing | Kyle Petty's No Fear Racing | Road Riot 4WD | GP-1

Kawasaki Superbike Challenge | Redline F-1 Racer | Suzuka 8 Hours | Michael Andretti's Indy Car Challenge

Unknown.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 3:26 PM, electricmastro said:

Various SNES racers which have become obscure over time:

F1 Pole Position | F1 ROC: Race of Champions | Power Rangers Zeo: Battle Racers | Race Drivin'

Cyber Spin | Al Unser Jr.'s Road to the Top | RPM Racing | Newman/Haas IndyCar featuring Nigel Mansell

The Duel: Test Drive II | Speed Racer in My Most Dangerous Adventures | Battle Grand Prix | ESPN Speed World

Full Throttle: All-American Racing | Kyle Petty's No Fear Racing | Road Riot 4WD | GP-1

Kawasaki Superbike Challenge | Redline F-1 Racer | Suzuka 8 Hours | Michael Andretti's Indy Car Challenge

Unknown.jpg

Battle Grand Prix is a solid title.  Had good fun playing that with my buds back in the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 8:32 AM, jgkspsx said:

I just saw “Petty” and I was hoping it was Tom Petty’s Running Down a Dream Racing. Musicians who are not Journey or Michael Jackson should have made more games.

No Fear Racing is one of those weirder sort of racers that uses a tunnel effect. Apparently it was meant to give off a more dimensional effect, but it seems to have turned out having mixed results.

Kyle-Petty-s-No-Fear-Racing-SNES-Gamepla

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I really like Carrier Aces. The dogfighting is a bit janky and not much fun, but the rest of the game is quite good. I usually work around that by intentionally avoiding equipping fighter planes. Instead, I rely on the rear gunner position of my Dauntless dive bombers and Avenger torpedo bombers. I find that a much easier way to shoot down enemy aircraft. Unfortunate that dogfighting doesn't quite satisfy (Which is certainly a big problem for such a game), but the rest makes up for it.

The Super Nintendo is graced with an even more impressive and playable carrier jet fighter counterpart to this, Turn & Burn: No Fly Zone. Carrier landings on that game still impress me for a Super Nintendo game. And apparently they knew that they had something good with this game, since it got ported to the GBA as F-14 Tomcat early in the GBA's life and then received two similar sequels using the same game engine, Super Hornet F/A-18F (GBA) and late in the life of the GBA, F24: Stealth Fighter (Which saw a simultaneous and enhanced DS release at the same time). 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

I really like Carrier Aces. The dogfighting is a bit janky and not much fun, but the rest of the game is quite good. I usually work around that by intentionally avoiding equipping fighter planes. Instead, I rely on the rear gunner position of my Dauntless dive bombers and Avenger torpedo bombers. I find that a much easier way to shoot down enemy aircraft. Unfortunate that dogfighting doesn't quite satisfy (Which is certainly a big problem for such a game), but the rest makes up for it.

The Super Nintendo is graced with an even more impressive and playable carrier jet fighter counterpart to this, Turn & Burn: No Fly Zone. Carrier landings on that game still impress me for a Super Nintendo game. And apparently they knew that they had something good with this game, since it got ported to the GBA as F-14 Tomcat early in the GBA's life and then received two similar sequels using the same game engine, Super Hornet F/A-18F (GBA) and late in the life of the GBA, F24: Stealth Fighter (Which saw a simultaneous and enhanced DS release at the same time). 

Wow seriously (on both)... huh.  I never tried the rear gun bit on Carrier Aces, I had bought it and felt I wasted my money as there was borderline no hope in chasing down and shooting a moving target it handles and aims so badly, but I guess if you let the game AI pilot and blast em as a tail gunner that could fix some of the lameness.

That said I had no idea Turn N Burn was that good, let alone those GBA games were a port, then kind of sequels using the same setup.  I was impressed with F14 a couple years ago or so, got one included in a bundle of games and it handled itself well, just with the smaller screen and less buttons felt a bit cramped, yet I imagine on a SNES resolution that would improve things so I got to try that.  I still get my kicks by the fact I can actually land something on Top Gun on the NES which is annoying for most to do.  Between the systems/kits I have I probably should look at those games.

edit: I looked, I guess it's a similar engine but there's Super Strike Eagle on SNES and Lock ON too, looks like it's capable too.  Man I wish I knew, but then again those years I had my nose on the PC for flight games so I wouldn't have noticed.  WIng Commander 1+2 and exp packs, X-Wing and it's pack, TIE FIghter and the couple it had, you get the idea. ;)

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2