IGNORED

Atari Floppy 1050 - Disk Formating - Error 173

YuT666

Hi,

bought some Atari 8 Bit stuff for my collection recently and tested all of the hardware. Everything is working fine ... the 1050 floppy loads all the atari disks without any problems, but when i get into DOS 2.5 and want to format a disk, i always receive error 173 in the end of the formating (i took 1 minute or so). I tested 20 different disk, but it is always the same error ... i always hear the formating sound (what shows, that i shoud work), but at the end .... Error 173. I don't know why.

What COULD be wrong, but don't forget ... the drive loads all my Atari disks wihtout a single problem.

Maybe the disks i want wo format are in a bad condition ... but all 20 disks?

Help would be great. Thanks.

Tom

Edited by YuT666

The error is a bad format error, I can't remember if the 1050 head is actually a read and a write head all in one or its split, I thought it was split from memory which would mean that the read head is fine but the write is screwed....Just in case, have you done a head clean just in case, I know its reading but its worth a go, you can be quite firm on the head with the alcohol but don't rip it off :)

Hi,

bought some Atari 8 Bit stuff for my collection recently and tested all of the hardware. Everything is working fine ... the 1050 floppy loads all the atari disks without any problems, but when i get into DOS 2.5 and want to format a disk, i always receive error 173 in the end of the formating (i took 1 minute or so). I tested 20 different disk, but it is always the same error ... i always hear the formating sound (what shows, that i shoud work), but at the end .... Error 173. I don't know why.

What COULD be wrong, but don't forget ... the drive loads all my Atari disks wihtout a single problem.

Maybe the disks i want wo format are in a bad condition ... but all 20 disks?

Help would be great. Thanks.

Tom

Do you have a write notch on the disk? I don't think you can write to a 5.25" floppy without the write notch.

Look at an old, working floppy to see where the notch goes. There's a special notch maker that punches the notch in the correct place.

There's also write notch tabs you can write protect a floppy with.

Edited by russg