IGNORED

Magellion for sound?

Sinphaltimus

• 1 month later...

OK, perhaps I should clarify this. So yeah, I had to bump Dead Thread.

There is a utility out there for the PC. Something to do with recording your voice and then compressing it into a data stream of sorts for the TI Speech Synth.

I suppose this is how PARSEC and possibly ALPINER do those voices.

I'm wondering if there is anything similar for CALL SOUND and not speech data streams?

Take a short wav file and have a program best estimate what CALL SOUND syntaxes would be needed to best replicate that wav file.
With a resolution setting for auto tuning (or averaging out) so many samples per second.

That's kind of what I'm interested in.

Or an Audacity filter that can generate a report of the frequency, duration and volume of a sound file over time.

With a resolution setting for auto tuning (or averaging out) so many samples per second.

And to try and explain this as best I can.

The resolution setting of 2 would generate 2 lines of CALL SOUND code Or in the case of a filter for audacity, would generate 2 lines of fre,dur,vol numbers. Effectively splitting the wav file in 2, averaging out each one to a single tone and basing the output on that.

Set the resolution to equal the hz of the original wav and you will generate hundreds upon hundreds of lines of code that will best replicate the original sound.

Obviously the resolution would have a low cut off due to memory constraint. So the resolution would probably suck but at least replicate the sound as best it could within those limitations.
And the wav file itself would need to be relatively short.

I think the closest we have is this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255859-voice-encoding-and-playback-with-no-speech-synth/

But this is intended for speech and not music.

Yeah, that's the other program I mentioned. It unfortunately does not output call sound commands as far as I can tell. Unless it does....

Unfortunately,

"Note that the converter is only intended to be suitable for human voice samples with no background noise - it is not intended for music or sound effects" - Tursi

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Take a look at Gazoo's easter egg on the XB2.7s cartridge. You'll have to do the FCTN 4 immediately to break the program so you can list it out... yes it's an Extended BASIC program. Anyway look at the DATA statements from about like 740 onward. It's all speech information imbedded in the BASIC program.

With the computing power of modern PC's, I see no reason why a PC program could no be made to generate XB code that could be merged into a program for execution.

I'll take a look.

Let me clarify the need.

Not so much for music as for sound effects.

Search the internet for "boing.wav". I want to be able to create a decent reproduction of that sound using call sound statements.

Think of all the wizbang and gizmo sounds of the original Looney tunes cartoons. I'd like to build a library of ready to use sound effects in extended basic without trial and error manual attempts.

That's the simple version.

You can use my Sound list ripper http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222669-sound-list-ripper to rip a lot of sound effects from other TI games. This should give you an idea about how to produce different effects. My ripper can currently only export to assembler sound list format, but there is a 1 to 1 mapping between this format and call sound statements. Perhaps someone has written a conversion routine? I might add support for call sound in a future version, but I won't promise anything.

• Like 1

Looking for something to feed tunes into the XB256 SLCOMPILER huh? Me too. I've tried the MusicMaker cart which was far too painful.

I use gadgets around my house to record sounds to manipulate in Audacity for just about every sound effect I've ever needed. A handful came from other sources but you'd never know after I was done with them.

And yep. Would love a clean cut work flow straight in to Extended BASIC.

the disk below is something I cobbled together for the VAST Users Groups Raffle and Door Prize drawings that we did at the monthly meetings. I did not write the original program but I did hack the hell out of it as you will see (and hear). Yes, that's my voice.

VASTRAFFLE.dsk

• Like 1

the disk below is something I cobbled together for the VAST Users Groups Raffle and Door Prize drawings that we did at the monthly meetings. I did not write the original program but I did hack the hell out of it as you will see (and hear). Yes, that's my voice.

attachicon.gifVASTRAFFLE.dsk

How did you achieve that?