IGNORED

This is a 'HACK' I made of my game engine

digress

• 1 year later...

Hey just bumping my old thread. I was thinking about revisiting this and devopling it further.

Yep The branding of it could be conan, heman , Thundarr or even sword & soceror, or of cource Generico the Barbarian. I'd be tempted build on that rastan idea too but I don't want to make rastan. Something similar but different as everyone can already play rastan through emulators and people would only notice what you got wrong rather than what was right.

The idea was could I build upon what I already programmed and created a new game with new them but reusing some of the hard parts that took forever to get working. So for instance the tank could become conan on horse back riding to caves, castles villages etc.

instead of a plane it might be a flying dragon. Might not be many or any enemies on the map but more mazes til you get to a cave or castle.

Probably leave the flying part out completely and it be just the 2d side scroller.

Just checking to see if this is interesting or not to people. No point making it only for myself.

• Like 3

Hey just bumping my old thread. I was thinking about revisiting this and devopling it further.

Yep The branding of it could be conan, heman , Thundarr or even sword & soceror, or of cource Generico the Barbarian. I'd be tempted build on that rastan idea too but I don't want to make rastan. Something similar but different as everyone can already play rastan through emulators and people would only notice what you got wrong rather than what was right.

The idea was could I build upon what I already programmed and created a new game with new them but reusing some of the hard parts that took forever to get working. So for instance the tank could become conan on horse back riding to caves, castles villages etc.

instead of a plane it might be a flying dragon. Might not be many or any enemies on the map but more mazes til you get to a cave or castle.

Probably leave the flying part out completely and it be just the 2d side scroller.

Just checking to see if this is interesting or not to people. No point making it only for myself.

I'd leave out the flying part and make a story-based 2d side scroller. While you could use Conan or He-Man, a new character (barbarian) and story line would be my preference, just like Sydney Hunter started as Smurf but turned into something unique (while still being Indiana Jones style character.)

I have designs/story for a game I haven't got around to yet if you'd like to use them as it seems I'll never get around to programming a Coleco game (I still have 4 Intellivision games to finish)

• Like 1

Only 4 eh?

No flying for sure. horse back was the idea and all the combat would be 2d side scrolling. Would probably need to change up a few things. would love to have like 6 enemies at times but not possible on real colecovision without f18a anyways.

Prince of persia - ish but with perhaps RPG elements to the character development & abilities and weapons. Probably won't happen. I just like the idea of it. And the little demo I made is quite satisying when you chop your opponents.

I'd leave out the flying part and make a story-based 2d side scroller. While you could use Conan or He-Man, a new character (barbarian) and story line would be my preference, just like Sydney Hunter started as Smurf but turned into something unique (while still being Indiana Jones style character.)

I have designs/story for a game I haven't got around to yet if you'd like to use them as it seems I'll never get around to programming a Coleco game (I still have 4 Intellivision games to finish)

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

That's cool looking. I've enjoyed Tank Mission a lot since I got it; especially the 2D sections. Even with just a different motif and a few tweaks to change things up this would totally be a new worthwhile game in my opinion. I like the Conan He-Man Swords Dungeons direction. I like the idea of some SNES Prince of Persia. Or maybe similar to how SNES Flashback has mazelike screen-to-screen pathways and shortcuts; from above and below and not just from the sides.

I envision a boss fight that throws arrows or swords both high and low. High arrows can be avoided by ducking. Low arrows can be avoided by jumping. Maybe the hero has arrows too and the player can use button mashing and timing to overcome the rate of arrows that the boss throws where your arrows cancel out the enemy's arrows. Sort of like Tank Wars how two tanks are shooting at each other and soon enough one wins out.

A shield item could be found that when equipped disappears when moving but appears with stationary and can block projectiles. Or maybe reflect projectiles either with just pong like physics or by incorporating a magic aspect to the shield item. Reflected projectiles could be aimed to trip switches, kill enemies, open doors, etc. Maybe arrows could be enchanted to reflect of walls which could add to gameplay, puzzles, etc. Magic to pass through wall or locked door instead of finding the key. I like games where you must gather say 3 of 3 keys to progress like Tutankhamen.

RPG aspects would be good but perhaps eat up an already limited memory storage. But if possible health restore potions, magic restore potions, weapon upgrades, shield upgrades, etc. That way enemies could increase in numbers and/or strength as game progresses. Any reason to traverse entire screens in order to get to hard to reach parts in order to find switches, keys, items, etc. Maybe set bombs below enemies to drop the floor on them and thus opening new pathways.

Nothing wrong with keeping overhead or traveling sections unless that's definitely out. Maybe keep it but stripped down to just a hub over world with the 2D sections being caves or dungeons. I wish I could make games for the ColecoVision. After playing and understanding it's limitations compared to that of NES specifically it would be fun to design deep dynamic games around the limited aspects of the system. Lots of input options with the ColecoVision controller though.

I wonder if there could be several cartridges for the same game. Have the same over world but each cartridge would have additional areas or dungeons all using same game engine. Maybe swap carts back and forth to achieve a type of backtracking but to overcome limited memory of single cart. I don't know though; I'm just brainstorming.

• Like 1

The 2d soldier sections are the most fun so I though that be what I would concentrate on expanding into a sword & sorcery type dungeon crawl.

- definately not just just right left but leaving through the ceiling & floor as well. (advertising) Did you try mr_turtle? it has this done left right up down rooms to a bigger map you have to explore to find all the pearls(/end advertising)

- i considered a multiple cart release before I figured out the bank switching. That game was 256kb. I can go at least to double that 512kb if needed. I might need a save method though this time. TM session game can easily last 30 minutes or more.

memory wise you can do a lot with the coleco memory as is. The only real thing that's a problem is remembering every little thing changed in a room after you leave it. It really can't store that much info so that's why everytime you leave a screen and come back everything is alive again. But for something like rpg elements like new axe, better shield, 5 health potions ... no problem.

Lots a good ideas , thanks.

That's cool looking. I've enjoyed Tank Mission a lot since I got it; especially the 2D sections.

Maybe swap carts back and forth to achieve a type of backtracking but to overcome limited memory of single cart.

• Like 2

I really love this Digress!

I'm with everyone else on not having the flying levels, but do think the overworld would be very cool.

I imagine Conan on horseback shooting arrows at Hyrkanian horse riders and Picts, hopping off and swimming to ancient ruins, visiting villages which could open another overworld type screen with shops, taverns(would have to have taverns if it was Conan!), black lotus could be your suicide option ala Tank Mission(haha).

Having vertical sidescrolling levels could allow for exploring towers and such.

Maybe have the map key locked until you speak with shady characters in the corner of Taverns who offer to sell you treasure maps, or when you find them throughout the world.

Just a few ideas. I think you're onto something very cool!