IGNORED

IntyBASIC Music Brain Freeze I am Having

119 BPM means every beat takes 60/119 = 0.5042 seconds.

50 ticks per second means that you'll have 50 * 0.5042 = 25.21 ticks per beat.

At least that is how I would do the math. A beat normally is a quarter note, which means a 16th of a note would be 6.30 ticks. Now I understand you can't fine tune the DATA to fractions of a tick, so for the given tempo I would probably base it on tempo 6, if 16th notes are the shortest in the song.

Edit: If my reasoning is correct and you get exactly 50 ticks per second, I presume the following tempos may be possible assuming BPM means quarter notes per minute and you need resolution down to 16th notes (no triplets).

Tempo 3 = 250 BPM (!)

Tempo 4 = 187 BPM

Tempo 5 = 150 BPM

Tempo 6 = 125 BPM

Tempo 7 = 107 BPM

Tempo 8 = 93 BPM

Tempo 9 = 83 BPM

Tempo 10 = 75 BPM

(I didn't check which tempos are really valid in the IntyBASIC syntax)

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Thanks for the idea. I had always defaulted to "6" but you have generally helped me unfreeze my brain.

[snip]

Edit: If my reasoning is correct and you get exactly 50 ticks per second, I presume the following tempos may be possible assuming BPM means quarter notes per minute and you need resolution down to 16th notes (no triplets).[snip]

• 3 weeks later...

A tempo of 3 means roughly using 24 "lines" of Music syntax to represent a quarter note, which eats a lot of ROM When a tempo of 6 needs half of that. But a 3 lets the drum track sustain. Interesting.

119 BPM means every beat takes 60/119 = 0.5042 seconds.

50 ticks per second means that you'll have 50 * 0.5042 = 25.21 ticks per beat.

At least that is how I would do the math. A beat normally is a quarter note, which means a 16th of a note would be 6.30 ticks. Now I understand you can't fine tune the DATA to fractions of a tick, so for the given tempo I would probably base it on tempo 6, if 16th notes are the shortest in the song.

Edit: If my reasoning is correct and you get exactly 50 ticks per second, I presume the following tempos may be possible assuming BPM means quarter notes per minute and you need resolution down to 16th notes (no triplets).

Tempo 3 = 250 BPM (!)

Tempo 4 = 187 BPM

Tempo 5 = 150 BPM

Tempo 6 = 125 BPM

Tempo 7 = 107 BPM

Tempo 8 = 93 BPM

Tempo 9 = 83 BPM

Tempo 10 = 75 BPM

(I didn't check which tempos are really valid in the IntyBASIC syntax)

Hm. I thought 1 line of music = 1 sixteenth note, and then you adjust tempo to get desired number of beats per minute? At tempo 6, every sixteenth note takes 6 ticks * 4 = 24 ticks per quarter note. On one minute, you have 50 * 60 = 3000 ticks, divided by 24 makes 125 BPM (quarter notes per minute).

At tempo 3, you either have 250 BPM or a resolution where 1 line = 1 thirtysecondth note which would double your precision for simulated triplets and other more complex music patterns. A quarter note at 125 BPM here would use 8 lines of music, not 24.

It is possible that we mean the same thing, but use different ways of thinking to get there.

Edited by carlsson

I have found that faster tempo songs (lower numbers like 2-3) need more ROM because if there are 64th notes and whole notes, it will take one row of MUSIC to represent the 64th note but 64 MUSIC rows to represent the whole note.

The project I am working through will purposely have tempos on the slower side (9+) just so the song length can be decent and not loop too soon (annoying) - also trying to keep the notes in the same "range" so if there are quarter notes I will do half and eighth maybe 16th but if 16th then no half, or vice versa. Hopefully that makes sense, my English is not that great*.

*And English is the only language I speak.

Wow, 64th notes! I'm not sure I have ever used that in chip music, or I suppose it depends how you consider ever line of music, as 16th notes at a very high BPM tempo or as 64th notes at a more moderate tempo. I'm sure you can create very cool effects and music patterns at those fast tempos, and perhaps required if you want anything that resembles arpeggios.

I experimented with converting to InyBASIC with the Star Blazers theme, there were 64th notes there. I also messed with tracking a couple of Led Zeppelin songs, the fast guitar playing comes out as 64th notes, which requires a speed of 1-3...

I hope that IntyBASIC will get a subcommand for turning on the hardware envelopes within a track, that could allow a lot f nice song effects.

Wow, 64th notes! I'm not sure I have ever used that in chip music, or I suppose it depends how you consider ever line of music, as 16th notes at a very high BPM tempo or as 64th notes at a more moderate tempo. I'm sure you can create very cool effects and music patterns at those fast tempos, and perhaps required if you want anything that resembles arpeggios.

• Like 1