IGNORED

Atari Jaguar, the gift that keeps giving.

neo_rg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272353434126

I'm pretty easy going in general. I did the hack just to prove to myself and a few others that the Doom wad file is nothing special. Had a laugh, even wrote a tutorial of how I did it. Kind of puts you off wanting to do more things like this. If I ever did you can guarantee someone a bit further down the line will manage to piss on your parade.

Reboot has new Jag boards, right? I'm not saying add DRM. Maybe add a new feature. Say, a little extra on cart RAM or something. All of a sudden unauthorized repros don't work so well..

Yes, ROMs can be hacked around copy protection. Yes, that feature could be copied onto unauthorized boards. New releases are no longer low hanging fruit, though. They can't just cannibalize an existing cart.

UPDATE: I realize the problem here is ROM releases are vulnerable. I just had this idea pop in my head. :)

Reboot has new Jag boards, right? I'm not saying add DRM. Maybe add a new feature. Say, a little extra on cart RAM or something. All of a sudden unauthorized repros don't work so well..

Yes, ROMs can be hacked around copy protection. Yes, that feature could be copied onto unauthorized boards. New releases are no longer low hanging fruit, though. They can't just cannibalize an existing cart.

UPDATE: I realize the problem here is ROM releases are vulnerable. I just had this idea pop in my head. :)

Any release is vulnerable. Buy the cart, observe the chips, dump the chips

• Like 1

Not sure if it will help, but this is something you can do.

attachicon.gifebay report.png

I reported it a few days ago when I haphazardly stumbled upon it while doing a search for PC DOOM stuff. Doesn't seem like it helped at all, but if anyone else reading this sees this sort of thing, it doesn't hurt to try. Could be a power in numbers sort of thing. If one dude reports it they might not bat an eye, but if several do, they might look into it. Or they just might not give a crap anymore when it comes to old videogames, there are so many reproductions and pirates on eBay at any given moment.

Nice to see he's also selling the native demo.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Native-Demo-Homebrew-/282158296362

From the item description:

It is very clearly an unfinished work in progress. It's only one level as far as I know (haven't been able to survive the end of the first level yet myself) and there is no sound.
You are invincible and don't die.
  • Like 1