IGNORED

Atari Jaguar, the gift that keeps giving.

neo_rg

That ship , as CJ said, sailed long ago. I won't be inclined or encouraged to do stuff just so someone else can be hailed as the saviour of the Atari Jaguar with his stance of doing people a favour. No more freely released games will result in the exact opposite.. only so many people developing for a system and not doing it for free. In future no free stuff from me, I have the means and know how and network of friends who could quite easily churn out carts with a bit more than a dymo label.

• Like 4

Well, I think that releasing freely is what gives the scene the momentum, but that's just me. And this case is a typical narco debate - the perps trying to justify their actions by "giving the people what they want" (and skipping the fact they're making a stinking profit out of it). There will always be *some* demand for *anything*. You could justify pedophilia like that.

So - respect to the devs. Shame on the profiteers. But the spice must flow.

Edited by af0l
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy my copy, for PERSONAL USE ONLY :) And made for $30 in parts and labor... It really is just as bad the idiots that spend that kind of money. That's why i'll never own an "original" Gorf

That looks slick! Approve!!! Having seen your pics, assuming you made a case/cover :)? I play the PS1 port of Doom II fairly often. Great game.

• Like 1

I disagree, I'm not selling their work, I'm distributing it at cost, in a format that is consumable by 100% of all Jaguar fans.

I specifically do not give anyone permission to distribute ANY of my work for ANY platform, without my explicit authority. Assuming game developers want free distribution is too much regardless of your profit margin. Ask. Always.

^^^ UPDATED through the power of CyranoJ. Thank you!

I specifically do not give anyone permission to distribute ANY of my work for ANY platform, without my explicit authority. Assuming game developers want free distribution is too much regardless of your profit margin. Ask. Always.

^^^ UPDATED through the power of CyranoJ. Thank you!

So i should cease and desist selling burned copies of Code Eliminator out of the back of my 88' dodge van? ;)

• Like 2

Sean Kelly singlehandedly killed this this kind of stuff with his Vectrex multicarts by using eBay to sell his carts in plentiful quantities at an affordable price. Smart move I'd say.

*sigh*

Nicholas - Sean was selling old games, all the originals on one cart (plus some licensed homebrew...?).

What you're doing is selling the Native demo (free to download and licensed to Carl of Songbird) and DOOM ][ (the creator who started this thread doesn't approve of it being sold). Tiny Toons - go for it I reckon. No one who owns the IP will care and both demos are pretty shitty at best, but they'd be nice to have for a completist (I guess).

Overpriced and incomplete games are *not* going to get people to enjoy the Jag. You'd probably be better of doing a Sean Kelly and putting all the *original* games on a cart and selling it for ~$100 - $200 like he did. Is that technically piracy. Sure. But it's not hurting any original / new content producers in 2015. THAT would lower the price of the original games. THAT would get people playing the Jag.

Sure, you might get chased by one of the IP holders, but you're willing to stop others releasing binaries lest they get taken by you and sold against the original coder's will, so why not risk that.

ZERO binaries have been released for free since this started. Correlation / causation? I'm annoyed at this, I'm sure others are.

I hope that current devs and tinkerers resume doing this. I liked the option of playing it on the Skunk or an emulator or a CD or (if it's a game I really liked) I could purchase it from the creators. Now we only have one option. As I said - annoyed. Selling a couple of carts to 'open up the community' which has resulted in no new binaries. It hardly seems worth it.

I must ask - because you have the ability to make carts, how about working with those people who are creating games and demos, help them release them as physical copies (*IF* that's what they want), but respect their wishes if they don't want them released by you. Have you worked with anyone or asked if you could release their stuff?

You seem like a nice guy dude, I still want to buy one of your rotaries, but the cognitive dissonance between action and reaction both amuses me and confuses me in equal parts.

**Note: I have a vague recollection that the Vectrex multicart content is licensed. Anyone?

Edited by skip

I'm not saying that what I'm doing has anything to do with Mr. Kelly. I just think it's a good selling model to avoid expensive flipping and widen the base. That is to say for new projects.

Wouldn't it be great if new casual Jaguar fans could peruse eBay (as they do) and bump into new releases direct from the devs at reasonable prices and in plentiful quantities? Habitual flippers/resellers would loose their market completely. Isn't that what we all want?

Again, this is and was just a suggestion and has nothing to do with me.

I have permission from Duranik for Native, by the way. Got something from Tursi coming soon as well. I've also been contacted for production on a couple of other projects.

Good. It all sounds good. It seems that you're admitting (in a round about way) that a couple of non approved releases maybe shouldn't have happened.

I get your point about eBay, but it still seems obvious to me that seeking direct to jag fans either here or on FB would get more sales to those interested rather than flippers.

I also think that multi carts of old releases sold on eBay would make a bigger impact than half finished demos (if one were to risk it, I'm not condoning it). All of that should be remedied by the releases of an SD cart. To an extent anyway, it hasn't dented prices of certain games on the snes or genesis.

If nothing else, I hope it'll reduce the Pinball Fantasies markup. It's the last official Jag cart game I want (anyone want to sell me one? ;)).

Oh, sorry for the double post, but by the recent release of over a dozen reasonably priced cart game ports on AA, part of what you're suggesting has already been realised.

How about we all work together and stuff. The anti AA rhetoric on FB by some is rather foul at best, and borderline ridiculous at worst (not that you've caused FB Jaguar drama ;) ).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...