IGNORED

Super Mario Maker 3DS

NinjaWarrior

I was excited to hear that this was coming, as I've been intrigued by the idea but not sufficiently so to actually buy it to play on Wii U. I'm way more likely to enjoy it on the 3DS. Too bad it's going to lose a bunch of community features, though.

What do you think the starting price will be? I'm hoping $29.99 or less but they'll probably ask $40.

It's cool that this is coming to the handheld, but the biggest draw of Mario Maker, asides from making your levels, was sharing them. With that feature removed, you have also eliminated half the appeal of the game.

Well, I suppose there is local sharing, so I guess that's at least something.

It's cool that this is coming to the handheld, but the biggest draw of Mario Maker, asides from making your levels, was sharing them. With that feature removed, you have also eliminated half the appeal of the game. I understand the idea of not wanting to host levels online, but how about the ability to share system to system? Or perhaps that feature is planned on being implemented and hasn't been talked about yet.

Yeah, a Street Pass feature or peer to peer sharing would have been a great feature.

That was a pretty awesome Nintendo Direct, announcing that Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World (the latter being the game that almost convinced me to buy a Wii U) are getting ported to the 3DS. I now feel like there's actually a decent chance of seeing Star Fox Zero released for the 3DS at some point, and that would make me happy as a clam in... well, whatever substance makes clams the happiest to be in. :)

Coming out Dec. 2nd 2016

You can't upload Courses like on the Wii U

That's fine for me - about all I'd likely do is trade levels with family anyway using streetpass and whatnot, assuming they get the game as well.

And I can make sure they get it for christmas~

I don't know anyone else who has a 3DS, so the fact that the level sharing is P2P only is a pretty big negative. I don't understand why they would remove the internet sharing functionality. I guess I'll probably pick this one up (pending reviews) but I'm not nearly as excited about it as I could have been.

• Like 1

I have a feeling like these 3ds releases are just quick, dirty, and cheap productions to appease their current user-base while the real games are being produced on the NX. Hence why obvious functionality is missing. It's just not worth their time, in their eyes.

Wouldn't surprise me. At least we have physical releases of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Yoshi's Woolly World, Azure Striker Gunvolt Pack, Dragon Quest VII/VIII, two new Pokémon games, Ever Oasis, and SMT IV: Apocalypse coming! Lots of life left in the 3DS concerning new releases, even if Super Mario Maker looks like a mediocre production on the handheld.

EDIT: At least, given how much time I have for games anymore, what I listed above would easily last me two years on its own, not counting my backlog.

Edited by Bixler

Wouldn't surprise me. At least we have physical releases of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Yoshi's Woolly World, Azure Striker Gunvolt Pack, Dragon Quest VII/VIII, two new Pokémon games, Ever Oasis, and SMT IV: Apocalypse coming! Lots of life left in the 3DS concerning new releases, even if Super Mario Maker looks like a mediocre production on the handheld.

EDIT: At least, given how much time I have for games anymore, what I listed above would easily last me two years on its own, not counting my backlog.

Honestly, for me, I abandoned both these consoles about 5-6 months ago. Sometimes I do wish I could play a game or two (mainly Splatoon), so I do wish I kept them every once in awhile. However, with the NX on the horizon, I kinda feel like this is the worst time to re-buy them, as both are still worth considerable money and have not yet suffered much in worth as we don't really know much about their successor. I've played some recent releases like Starfox Zero on friends' Wii U consoles and I haven't felt like anything has been released since Splatoon for me to feel like I'm missing out. Most of these 3DS games just revealed included...

That's not to point fun of ALL the games that are coming out on each system (er.. well, at this point, just the 3DS....the Wii U is pretty dead, isn't it...) as I do look forward to a couple of them, including Pokemon. But .... again.... with rumors floating around that Sun and Moon might be on the NX as well, again, it feels like a bad time to be re-buying a Wii U or 3DS.

I kinda believe a lot of the rumors going around that we'll see some "HD" re-releases (more like re-masters) of popular Wii U games. If rumors are correct, the NX would easily be able to run any Wii U game, and having some of the Wii U's (few) hits at launch might help pad the NX's early library so it can better muscle it's right-to-exist amongst the new XBox One S and the upcoming PS4 downgrade (I jest I jest.... kinda-maybe-not.).

But who knows. At this point, anything can happen. But with rumors pointing to a conference or Direct covering the NX in just a week or so, I'll bide my time and wait and see. If games like Sun and Moon never come to NX, I'll either wait for sequels or buy them when the 3DS/Wii U consoles are dirt cheap like the original Wii is today.

I don't need to play those games enough to justify going back to dead consoles for full retail price. But that's just my opinion.

Case in point: if you own the consoles, sure... buy some of these new games. They'll extend the console's life cycle a bit. If you don't have them or sold them off, just wait. Even the longevity of the XBox One S and PS4 Slim are in question. Heck, Xbox announced they're already working on the replacement for the Scorpio, so to be honest, the Scorpio and PS4 Neo's future are kinda in question as well.

The Nx has me the most excited. It's one of those "common sense" systems, if rumors are true. An idea I'm surprised no one else dared to do until now, and an idea I could see taking off and making billions. As much as I'd like an XBox One S in a few months when I can afford one, if I can be completely honest, this generation has completely sucked so far. Every major game on the "big two's systems" has been a complete let down. Battlefront, Destiny, Watchdogs, Batman, No Man's Sky, SFV, Assassin's Creed, ... I could go on. I find, instead, this generation's best games are the "unexpected hits". The Splatoons. The Rocket Leagues. Those have been the few surprises. But honestly, the PS1, NES, SNES, Dreamcast, and GC have been plenty used in the last few months. This generation has largely sucked.

:end rant: Sorry. Just needed that off my chest, I guess.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

So a system is "dead" because there are few new games on it? How about playing the back catalog? :)

I wouldn't get too excited about the NX until the launch announcements. There's unlikely to be a lot of stuff out right from the start, and the early days of a system's life is never indicative of what it grows into.

I am having trouble understanding why you are optimistic about something that is just rumors while expressing disappointment about almost everything that's come along lately. We play games, not systems.

• Like 2

Heck, Xbox announced they're already working on the replacement for the Scorpio, so to be honest, the Scorpio and PS4 Neo's future are kinda in question as well.

WTF?! My girlfriend and I were considering picking up an Xbox One Scorpio when it came out... they're already working on the next iteration?!

WTF?! My girlfriend and I were considering picking up an Xbox One Scorpio when it came out... they're already working on the next iteration?!

Yep.

Then again, that could be years for it to come out, to be fair. Nintendo works on systems as soon as the current one is released, so you could be talking 2-5 years out.

But yes, they announced a couple days ago they were already working on it. I think they were trying to quell gamers' fears that there wouldn't be any more Xbox consoles, but yeah, now people are wondering how long the Scorpio will last, haha. Poor peeps at Microsoft can't win, I guess.

So a system is "dead" because there are few new games on it? How about playing the back catalog? :)

The WiiU has a pretty thin back catalog too. And I'm sure most WiiU owners have played the hell out of Wii games, so don't bother suggesting them either.

Edited by MCHufnagel

The WiiU has a pretty thin back catalog too. And I'm sure most WiiU owners have played the hell out of Wii games, so don't bother suggesting them either.

Huh. I think it has a lot going on, especially if you like their Virtual Console setup. Then again I'm so starved for console time I could probably content myself with any of the modern big 3 consoles nowadays.

Has anyone played Super Mario Maker on the WiiU? What do you think of it?

It looks like a cool game (and I love level editors).

Love it. It's exactly, EXACTLY as much fun as you'd think it would be. No, it's more. ;-)

Now, there are some caveats: coins and 1-ups really don't mean much, since you can play the level as many times as you'd like. You can't string together a bunch of levels and make your own "game", and even though there are lots of level components, I bet you'll find one or two you'd like to use but aren't included. Still, it's an amazing package and worth every penny.