IGNORED

Vectrex ROM ripper/downloader

Crocodilianz

The GCE binaries are can be downloaded in the web, for example here. Please note that the GCE binaries have a special licence given by Jay Smith.

EDIT: At first I misunderstood your post. FAIK, Mateos has such a hardware to download the code from a ROM.

Edited by hcmffm

It actually wouldn't be that hard to build a quick interface to dump that using an EPROM burner since the cart edge is really just mapped directly to pins on the EPROM. Even easier if you don't mind unsoldering the EPROM itself for dumping, no adapter required in that case.

Also that's just an EPROM, not an EEPROM. You may want to stick a piece of electrical tape over the window on that for good measure.

• 5 years later...
13 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

@playvectrex had made some recently- maybe he still has some? 

(speaking of which… I think I was supposed to get one from the conference last year? ?)

Hi! Everyone that contacted me was sent whatever they signed up for.  I sent out a TON of free stuff :D 
If you think I didn't ship you something, please email me with the paypal address you would have used to pay for shipping/items and I'll take a look.

My email can be found on my website https://www.playvectrex.com Thanks!

39 minutes ago, KayBee said:

Thank you again @jgkspsx I'll ask.

I do have these, and they are slightly updated from the above video, but work the same way.  They require a TL866II+ EPROM programmer to read the cart data via the adapter.  Price is $25.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KayBee said:

Bumping this thread if anyone knows of MVBD availability. I'd like to extract a (non-prototype) ROM for my own use in emulation since I don't yet have a Vectrex.

Thanks.

KB

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that you can legally play backups (ROMs) so long as you own the real game. You don't necessarily have to dump it yourself is my understanding. Also the original Vectrex games are all allowed to be played freely thanks to Jay Smith. Not that I want to discourage you from doing it yourself, it actually seems pretty cool to try that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl said:

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that you can legally play backups (ROMs) so long as you own the real game. You don't necessarily have to dump it yourself is my understanding. Also the original Vectrex games are all allowed to be played freely thanks to Jay Smith. Not that I want to discourage you from doing it yourself, it actually seems pretty cool to try that.

Correction apart from one aspect: yes, you do have to dump it yourself. How they prove that, I have no idea though.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Correction apart from one aspect: yes, you do have to dump it yourself. How they prove that, I have no idea though.

Agreed, otherwise whoever you got the binary from would be distributing it, illegally.

BTW: Here's a picture of the new v1.2 Cart Dumper adapter (TL866II+ programmer sold separately)

vectrex-cart-dumper.thumb.jpg.bbba86bb1c3943f35f42b49dbace50a6.jpg

• Like 1