IGNORED

Apple IIe help

BoatofCar

I recently received an Apple IIe. It's in pretty rough shape (several keys have been replaced) but seems to function ok. I hooked it up to my Commodore 1702 and connected my phone to the tape input to load up some games.

From what I've read online, the composite output on all NTSC models should display color, but all I get is black and white. Is there something I need to do in the OS to enable color?

Also, I have an I/O controller in port 2 and a super serial card in port 11--this shouldn't affect anything, right?

Any help is appreciated!

I recently received an Apple IIe. It's in pretty rough shape (several keys have been replaced) but seems to function ok. I hooked it up to my Commodore 1702 and connected my phone to the tape input to load up some games.

From what I've read online, the composite output on all NTSC models should display color, but all I get is black and white. Is there something I need to do in the OS to enable color?

Also, I have an I/O controller in port 2 and a super serial card in port 11--this shouldn't affect anything, right?

Any help is appreciated!

Did you plug into the back or front of the commodore monitor? The back is for SVideo and the front has the composite input.

Any help is appreciated!

If the Apple //e is a PAL version (not likely since you're in the US), there is actually a colour killer switch on the motherboard - meaning you can select between mono or colour video output. The switch is on the right hand side of the motherboard (looking from the front) and about halfway from front to back.

BTW: I listen to and enjoy the Amigos podcast, even though I'm a die-hard Apple II fan! (I have bought an Amiga and Atari ST in recent years to see what all the fuss was about! :-) )

Cheers,

Mike

(Australia)

• Like 1

If the Apple //e is a PAL version (not likely since you're in the US), there is actually a colour killer switch on the motherboard - meaning you can select between mono or colour video output. The switch is on the right hand side of the motherboard (looking from the front) and about halfway from front to back.

BTW: I listen to and enjoy the Amigos podcast, even though I'm a die-hard Apple II fan! (I have bought an Amiga and Atari ST in recent years to see what all the fuss was about! :-) )

Cheers,

Mike

(Australia)

THIS. Maybe a switch to switch to between color and green screen CRTS?

I've had a couple II+'s that the crystal went out of spec and caused no color. Not sure if that something that happens to the IIe, though.

Can you explain more how to diagnose this? I'm not willing to rule anything out!

What about adjusting the video level pot on the mobo?

Can you tell me where that is? I've looked and I don't see any pots...

Cheers,

Mike

(Australia)

Glad you like the podcast! :)

I've checked the motherboard and I don't see any switch (plus, like you said, the chances of this being a PAL //e are pretty slim, considering this belonged to a nearby university originally).