IGNORED

jawbreaker

ColecoDan

• 1 year later...

Does anybody know why someone would take the time to port this game over from the msx, put it on a cart and print a label/manual/box and release it but not complete the game with sound? Was this pre SGM? What a shame because this is the best looking and sounding version of this game on any system in its msx form

• 2 weeks later...

I created the MSX version which has music and sound effects, it also includes a second game mode similar to Jawbreaker 1 on the Atari 2600.

I did a quick port of one of the Beta versions of rhe game for the Coleco as a test but it wasnt the final version with all the features. Took only a few hours to port so of there is any interest I can try to port the final version instead...

Edited by Maggoo
  • Like 4

I recently bought the complete in box version from good deal games and let me tell you that you did a great job! I bought it knowing full well it was programmed with no sound because not only does the game look fantastic it plays that way too. In my opinion it's the best home version of the game across all systems. It's just plain fun. I watched a video of the msx version with the sound effects intact and was just wondering why the Coleco was missing. Figured it was due to storage. Sad it's missing the sound but grateful to have the game. Thanks!

You could use the MSX sound chip that the SGM has for sound and music, and not worry about remaking it for the SN chip for the Colecovision. Or have the sound effect use the SN chip and the music for the MSX sound chip. So the sound channels don't have to overlap each other.

So I got the final version ported, it requires the SGM module as the "hi res" mode requires a bit more than 1KB of RAM. Since it has an AY, I simply changed the port used by the music/fx player to 50h.

Everything works fine but the music in BlueMSX right now. Do u know if the PSG is emulated in that emulator for the SGM?

• Like 1

Hello Maggoo ;-)

Try CoolCV. It supports SGM (both AY8910 and 32K of ram).

Hey Arturo :)

Thanks, music works in CoolCV :thumbsup: I'll run a few tests to make sure everything works okay and the final ROM should be available next week...

BTW is there a way to detect if the Colecovision is 50 or 60hz (to adjust music speed accordingly)?

• Like 1

I created the MSX version which has music and sound effects, it also includes a second game mode similar to Jawbreaker 1 on the Atari 2600.

https://youtu.be/E5zFkIloZNk

I did a quick port of one of the Beta versions of rhe game for the Coleco as a test but it wasnt the final version with all the features. Took only a few hours to port so of there is any interest I can try to port the final version instead...

• 2 months later...

Hey Arturo :)

Thanks, music works in CoolCV :thumbsup: I'll run a few tests to make sure everything works okay and the final ROM should be available next week...

BTW is there a way to detect if the Colecovision is 50 or 60hz (to adjust music speed accordingly)?

The rom has PAL/NTSC indication at 0x0069

ld  a,(0x0069)
           sub  60
           jr z,_NTSC
_PAL:

Hi,

What became of this. Would like to try the finished Colecovision game. Thanks.