IGNORED

Sears Math Gran Prix with Box - sold for $305.00

Zwackery

So this game is rare??? I had no idea, and I know I actually used to have a copy of it, along with the box and manual. It was part of a larger Atari lot I got locally many years ago now. No idea where it si now, unfortunately.

Looks like the seller had originally listed this with a $100 BIN:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Math-Gran-Prix-Atari-2600-/222214548162?hash=item33bd04eac2:g:OBQAAOSwgZ1Xqiiq

• Like 1

So this game is rare??? I had no idea, and I know I actually used to have a copy of it, along with the box and manual. It was part of a larger Atari lot I got locally many years ago now. No idea where it si now, unfortunately.

Looks like the seller had originally listed this with a $100 BIN:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Math-Gran-Prix-Atari-2600-/222214548162?hash=item33bd04eac2:g:OBQAAOSwgZ1Xqiiq

That is correct and I purchased it for $100. Never received it however.

That is correct and I purchased it for $100. Never received it however.

Wait, you actually won this item for $100 then ebay allowed the seller to renege on your deal and re-sell it? Did you report it to eBay? I'd love to know what their response was.

Edited by Mitkraft

I really detest dick moves like that. Do you think someone backchanneled the seller?

That's my assumption. I've got my thoughts that a prominent reseller here tried to make a side deal behind the scenes to get it but the seller then realized what he could really get for it and relisted it. Very slimy in both sides.

• Like 2

That's my assumption. I've got my thoughts that a prominent reseller here tried to make a side deal behind the scenes to get it but the seller then realized what he could really get for it and relisted it. Very slimy in both sides.

Your theory is certainly possible given the voting record on the relist.

Well it is and has always been my belief that when someone list something for sale and it is priced much lower than actual value it is a risk you take when giving them their asking price and you risk losing it.

Whenever I see someone post something on say Craigslist and the price is much lower I will offer more to ensure they do NOT sell to someone else for peanuts. I still get many items for less than they are worth doing this. Yes I paid more but I still get the item for less than it is worth. I guarantee I have killed many deals that were in process in doing this.

I do not understand the online hypocrisy related to sales in this method. People are 100% ok with people on craigslist changing their minds after they agree to sell something for a price. However if that same person did an BIN on ebay and realizes it is worth much more they are crucified as slimeballs because they didn't let the other person rip them off.

Get mad all you want. Fact is if I listed an item that sold in 10 minutes and I found out it was worth $200+ more than what I sold it for that sale is getting cancelled. Sorry! People are butt hurt over losing a steal. Get over it. If you really wanted it you should have told them it was worth more to begin with and offered more. If you would have offered $200 or so right off the bat you likely would have it right now and it would not have been relisted.

You only have yourself to blame when the seller gets educated by someone ELSE. Take the initiative next time and make a DECENT offer and you will likely have better outcome. Ohhh but they agreed to a sale that is binding...... Well they did not agree to getting ripped off!

According to ebay as a seller you have up to 30 days to cancel a sale. A buyer has up to 1 hour after purchase to cancel. However technically a buyer can request to cancel any time really if the item has not been shipped, after that it is a return dispute.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

• Like 1

Well it is and has always been my belief that when someone list something for sale and it is priced much lower than actual value it is a risk you take when giving them their asking price and you risk losing it.

Whenever I see someone post something on say Craigslist and the price is much lower I will offer more to ensure they do NOT sell to someone else for peanuts. I still get many items for less than they are worth doing this. Yes I paid more but I still get the item for less than it is worth. I guarantee I have killed many deals that were in process in doing this.

I do not understand the online hypocrisy related to sales in this method. People are 100% ok with people on craigslist changing their minds after they agree to sell something for a price. However if that same person did an BIN on ebay and realizes it is worth much more they are crucified as slimeballs because they didn't let the other person rip them off.

Get mad all you want. Fact is if I listed an item that sold in 10 minutes and I found out it was worth $200+ more than what I sold it for that sale is getting cancelled. Sorry! People are butt hurt over losing a steal. Get over it. If you really wanted it you should have told them it was worth more to begin with and offered more. If you would have offered $200 or so right off the bat you likely would have it right now and it would not have been relisted.

You only have yourself to blame when the seller gets educated by someone ELSE. Take the initiative next time and make a DECENT offer and you will likely have better outcome. Ohhh but they agreed to a sale that is binding...... Well they did not agree to getting ripped off!

According to ebay as a seller you have up to 30 days to cancel a sale. A buyer has up to 1 hour after purchase to cancel. However technically a buyer can request to cancel any time really if the item has not been shipped, after that it is a return dispute.

To me it comes down to integrity. If I list something and realize I did something stupid I suck it up and do what's right. I'm not backing out on a commitment that I made. I was raised to be a man of my word. I'll never respect anyone that makes these kind of slimy sales or anyone that attempts the slimeball practices of offering more at an auctions end after someone else has a winning bid. To me this shows a complete lack of integrity.

• Like 5

First and foremost, I want to thank the users on here giving me a headsup on this auction.

I just want to make it known... it was NOT me contacting the seller about this particular auction.

And yes, I did partake in the auction and did wind up losing - I blame it on the Cubs' game! :sleep:

Let's hope a user here grabbed it instead of a reseller.

Edited by schuwalker

To me it comes down to integrity. If I list something and realize I did something stupid I suck it up and do what's right. I'm not backing out on a commitment that I made. I was raised to be a man of my word. I'll never respect anyone that makes these kind of slimy sales or anyone that attempts the slimeball practices of offering more at an auctions end after someone else has a winning bid. To me this shows a complete lack of integrity.

Bill, I really wish sellers had this mindset. Let's face it, the whole *integrity* thing is a dying attribute.

So far, I had TWO auctions this past year ending prematurely. One was for an obscure pinball playfield; the other, a boxed Aquarius Melody Chase that the seller decided to sell to a local instead.

Unfortunately, what is your recourse? Send him a snarky message - that's about it.

You guys kill me. You are happy ripping someone off and you have the nerve to talk about morals and shitty resellers. GTFO.

I'm not surprised by your attitude based on the posts you make. I know my moral code and I have no concerns. I have my thoughts on yours and you seem to fully back them up with nearly every post.

• Like 1

I'm referring to both of you. Talking about integrity and resellers. There is not much difference between a person who pays $100 for an item knowing it is worth well more regardless if you buy it to resell or keep. The same morals are there for both people. Saying it is less moral to resell it than keep it just something you tell yourself so you can sleep better at night.

You talk down about people who resell yet you are going to throw a shit fit when someone doesn't sell you something for way less than it is worth. That's the same damn thing. 1 person keeps it and the other person doesn't. You sure as hell are not going to sell it for what you paid if and when you sell it. If you find a deal, great, but getting mad at people and calling people scumbags and having zero morals because they don't sell you something for way less than it is worth is kind of dumb.

It's not like you drove an hour and wasted any time and gas to buy something. You simply clicked a BIN that took you a whole minute to buy and pay for. You can say a person who decides not to sell has no integrity. I can say a person who takes advantage has no integrity as well.

It is not beyond me to buy a game for $100 that is worth $300. I however am not going to call the person a scumbag and having zero integrity just because they realize what they have is worth more than they thought. It is not a crime to change your mind.

I guess you have never decided to do something in your life and then changed your mind and not do it...

• Like 1

Its called the integrity of the deal. Its not up to buyers to pay what somethings worth. Its up to sellers to set a price and to honor that price. If its an auction or a negotiated price then not honoring it shows lack of integrity. I'm not sure where you get saying nobody cares if it happens on craigslist because its the same there. You have displayed an attitude I find very distasteful and to proudly proclaim that you've busted many an agreed upon deal by offering more to CL sellers is exactly what I'm talking about. I for one would not knowingly do business with someone like that.

• Like 3

and to proudly proclaim that you've busted many an agreed upon deal by offering more to CL sellers is exactly what I'm talking about.

I do not know for sure, I will assume. When I see a lot worth $200 listed for $20. I immediately send a message offering more. I'm sure there have been many times someone else beat me to the $20 price and I offer more so as I get $200 worth of games for $100.

Nobody is going to commit to a $20 sale when they were just offered 5 times that amount.

I could care less if you dislike my buying methods. At the end of the day I get the item at a good price. The person who was only willing to pay pennies well they get to keep those pennies.

I do not know for sure, I will assume. When I see a lot worth $200 listed for $20. I immediately send a message offering more. I'm sure there have been many times someone else beat me to the $20 price and I offer more so as I get $200 worth of games for $100.

Nobody is going to commit to a $20 sale when they were just offered 5 times that amount.

I could care less if you dislike my buying methods. At the end of the day I get the item at a good price. The person who was only willing to pay pennies well they get to keep those pennies.

Well I'm sure you draw a line somewhere, right?

When is a deal a deal for you?

Many people consider a deal a deal when money has been paid and that money has been accepted. So if you hit the BIN AND pay for the item that is different than a potential craigslist deal when no money has yet changed hands.

If you handed someone $20 for an item at a garage sale and the money went into the money box would you be ok with someone standing behind you offering $100 and the seller giving you your $20 back or would you be upset? Perhaps you are ok with that. I dunno where you stand but that is closer to what actually happens when a BIN is canceled.

Edited by Buyatari
  • Like 4

I'm referring to both of you. Talking about integrity and resellers. There is not much difference between a person who pays $100 for an item knowing it is worth well more regardless if you buy it to resell or keep. The same morals are there for both people. Saying it is less moral to resell it than keep it just something you tell yourself so you can sleep better at night.

You talk down about people who resell yet you are going to throw a shit fit when someone doesn't sell you something for way less than it is worth. That's the same damn thing. 1 person keeps it and the other person doesn't. You sure as hell are not going to sell it for what you paid if and when you sell it. If you find a deal, great, but getting mad at people and calling people scumbags and having zero morals because they don't sell you something for way less than it is worth is kind of dumb.

It's not like you drove an hour and wasted any time and gas to buy something. You simply clicked a BIN that took you a whole minute to buy and pay for. You can say a person who decides not to sell has no integrity. I can say a person who takes advantage has no integrity as well.

It is not beyond me to buy a game for $100 that is worth $300. I however am not going to call the person a scumbag and having zero integrity just because they realize what they have is worth more than they thought. It is not a crime to change your mind.

I guess you have never decided to do something in your life and then changed your mind and not do it...

Just to let you know (I'm not sure you're referring to my scenario); those two examples I provided were both auctions STILL going - no BIN. That's what pissed me off.

Another, I posted a WTB ad for Sears Math Gran Prix, I had a "known flipper" actually posted on my topic asking what's it worth. I don't know... but that seems slimey to me if you have these guys actually scouring the wanted section to try to score extra $'s. Hence, Bill and myself - flipper statement.

Edited by schuwalker

Well I'm sure you draw a line somewhere, right?

When is a deal a deal for you?

Many people consider a deal a deal when money has been paid and that money has been accepted. So if you hit the BIN AND pay for the item that is different than a potential craigslist deal when no money has yet changed hands.

If you handed someone $20 for an item at a garage sale and the money went into the money box would you be ok with someone standing behind you offering $100 and the seller giving you your $20 back or would you be upset? Perhaps you are ok with that. I dunno where you stand but that is closer to what actually happens when a BIN is canceled.

Lets put it this way. If I go to the store and hand the clerk a $20 bill for something and then they realize the item was priced wrong and they hand me back the $20 that is fine.

Now I draw the line when a deal has been completely done. In other words when both people exchange. So when person A gets $$ and person B gets items it is done.

If I am at a yard sale and I hand someone $20 for an item the item is generally going to be in my hand so the deal is done. If I offer someone $20 for an item they have there and it is not in my possession and someone behind me offers more then they offered more.

Online a deal is technically not done until you get the item. Just the same as a store. There are many reason people cancel sales. You likely would not walk into a store and see a new blue ray with a $1.99 sticker on it and expect them to honor that price, because a clerk hit $1.99 instead of $19.99, they may but from my experience I have been told too bad.

Trying to say paying for a BIN that may have been mispriced and expecting someone to honor that is the same as slapping a $20 bill down on the table at a yard sale for a box of wii games marked $20 when in fact they may have meant $20 each or had someone offer more to hold the item.

Now if this would have been a live auction instead of a bin then I would view it a little different. If a auction goes through the motions and everyone bids then it is more of a dick move to back out of it, but it is what it is.

edit: Just for the record. I will not offer a price and then back out of it. I charge way too much for my stuff to ever have someone offer Hundreds more lol.