IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've been doing a bit of reading about the 7800 and here's my thoughts on a flash cart for it...

• 1MB battery backed SRAM allowing for any combination of RAM / ROM mapping upto 1MB in total (covers all known games to my knowledge).
  • Support for the high score cartridge saves (which will be persisted to memory card also).
  • Ability to load any ROM from memory card and play it, much the same as my Lynx cart (ie. programmed every time, not flashed).
  • Built in POKEY via hardware simulation (probably MikeJ's POKEY hardware from Asteroids Deluxe as a starting point).
  • Support for all 2600 and 7800 mappers (hopefully programmable mapper hardware such that any different mapping scheme can be setup).

This doesn't seem too unreasonable or even too complex looking into it a little further. More complex than NGPC but simpler then Jag. :)

This isn't going to happen for some time, so don't get excited or anything, just getting a feel of what is wanted and how many people are likely to want it.

Any further thoughts / ideas, please say.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 20

I've been doing a bit of reading about the 7800 and here's my thoughts on the SD cart for it...

• 1MB battery backed SRAM allowing for any combination of RAM / ROM mapping upto 1MB in total (covers all known games to my knowledge).
  • Support for the high score cartridge saves (which will be persisted to SD card also).
  • Ability to load any ROM from SD and play it, much the same as the LynxSD (ie. programmed every time, not flashed).
  • Built in POKEY via hardware simulation (probably MikeJ's POKEY hardware from Asteroids Deluxe as a starting point).
  • Support for all 2600 and 7800 mappers (hopefully programmable mapper hardware such that any different mapping scheme can be setup).

This doesn't seem too unreasonable or even too complex looking into it a little further. More complex than NGPC but simpler then Jag. :)

This isn't going to happen for some time, so don't get excited or anything, just getting a feel of what is wanted and how many people are likely to want it.

Any further thoughts / ideas, please say.

If you can make it 1/2 as good as the Cuttle Cart 2, you've got something.

http://www.ataritimes.com/index.php?ArticleIDX=464

About the only thing that I don't like about the CC2 is having to set up the files. (See the video for what I mean.) If it can auto-select the banking that would be great.

The CC2 also has the ability to display the manuals (in text format.) Although I never really use it.

Do you think your cart would work with larger roms? I see you expect to have 1MB, but I think the CC2 uses a special bank type to get it work. The only ROM I know of that uses it is the Softcell demo that is 512k (it plays about 75% of the song "Tainted Love" in decent quality.)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

• Like 2

The only ROM I know of that uses it is the Softcell demo that is 512k (it plays about 75% of the song "Tainted Love" in decent quality.)

Schmutzpuppe

Multi-Lock On | Mar 11, 2014 | Done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDE3ZDfMLM

Additional homebrew development has ventured off into 512k territory as well.

IMHO, it would be highly desired that it is 'better' than the CC2, in the sense it can play all the ROMs CC2 plays, as well as the 144K + POKEY (@$0450) combination as required for Donkey Kong PK-XM and Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest; which would then also support any future homebrews that will be using RAM @$4000 and POKEY at the aforementioned alternate address space. :)

• Like 5

I personally find it a bit offensive, Fred has been working on this for a long time and has a bunch of money in it too. Just my opinion. Then again, hardly anyone around here cares about the developers of anything, unless your name is Bob. People prefer to pay $50 for a Commando repro, instead of asking me for a cheap repro of it. Like I said, I am pretty much done with 7800 innovation, I even already wasted money on buying some speech chips, for on PCB voice usage.

Just my $0.02.

• Like 6

I plan on buying Freds cart. I promised I would.

This reminds me of AA user Uberarcades 7800 controller he made and not long after edladdin showed up to sell supreme 78 seagulls etc. I bought Ubers 250usd controller to show support as he was first.

Not as many people would be like me and buy Freds and also this sd cart as well if it came out.

So absolutely this would step on Freds toes if made.

It is a small market in the atari world of things and very very few people making things for systems like the 7800.

I wish CPUWIZ felt more appreciated. :(

Without his contributions lots of stuff would not be available.

People like the bleep sounds and colors on the screen I guess and don't always understand what it takes to get it all to come together in cartridge form.

From what I understand games like BBQQ on cart would not be possible on cart without your special boards you designed and had invested in.

• Like 9

I personally find it a bit offensive, Fred has been working on this for a long time and has a bunch of money in it too. Just my opinion. Then again, hardly anyone around here cares about the developers of anything, unless your name is Bob. People prefer to pay $50 for a Commando repro, instead of asking me for a cheap repro of it. Like I said, I am pretty much done with 7800 innovation, I even already wasted money on buying some speech chips, for on PCB voice usage.

Just my $0.02.

I'm not interested in stepping on anyone's toes, but If there is a project which has stalled and people still want it, then I don't see the issue? Doing anything like this takes a massive amount of time, effort, money and dedication. I completely understand why people get tired of doing certain projects (I have done myself), but equally I have no issue with people filling the void of my old projects.

• Like 7

Understandably, not everyone is looking to purchase multiple SD carts for the 7800. In this scenario though, Fred is very far along in the development process. It's just a matter of fixing a few issues and the product should hopefully be ready for the masses in the near future. Further, SainT stated in the OP, "This isn't going to happen for some time".

Regardless, having examples of the aforementioned joystick options from UberArcade and Edladdin, as well as Sega Genesis adapters from Edladdin and grips03, in which all have sold and is a win-win for the community, I believe having multiple options for an SD cart would provide similar results.

On a side note, encouraging the sincere efforts and good motives of (hardware) homebrewing towards anyone looking to support the 7800 platform is a good thing. Whether it includes items like the excellent multicarts and controller adapter testing from and for CPUWIZ, or things like the Commando repro, Rampage/Double Dragon combo cart, and other items, innovation from all (hardware) developers is fantastic to see and wonderful to have made available to the community.

• Like 10

And the thing is...once Fred's cart is out, you KNOW there are going to be some people who find out about its existence after it's too late (such as with the Cuttle Cart 2)...if Fred's comes out in the near future, that takes care of people like us who want the thing *now*, but as SainT has said his version won't be out for quite a while, that basically insures an SD option for people further down the line who might not be able to get Fred's cart if it's out of stock/no longer made by then.

• Like 2

And the thing is...once Fred's cart is out, you KNOW there are going to be some people who find out about its existence after it's too late (such as with the Cuttle Cart 2)...if Fred's comes out in the near future, that takes care of people like us who want the thing *now*, but as SainT has said his version won't be out for quite a while, that basically insures an SD option for people further down the line who might not be able to get Fred's cart if it's out of stock/no longer made by then.

That's one thing I do offer, the ability to produce carts in large numbers (upto about 250 Lynx carts sold now in the last 4 months or so) and no limit to the number coming.

The situation will be the same with any hardware I make. If there's demand, I will produce them. I know the issue with many homebrew hardware mods like this is supply.

And due to the fact I can produce carts in good numbers, I can keep the price reasonable (I hope people agree...!).

Anyway, as I say, not trying to step on toes or piss anyone off, just trying to provide people what they want and amuse myself in the process. ;)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5