IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, fille1976 said:

Hi guys,will this cards rgb solution also works on a french 7800?,it has rgb,but is TERRIBLE.

Yes, it will give RGB from a SECAM 7800. I'm not sure if there were specific SECAM versions of games? If so, you'd need to use PAL ones to get the correct colours.

• Like 1

This RGB output sounds like a good thing on my unmodded PAL console.

In an earler post you said that it has 1MB RAM that can be mapped in numerous ways.

I would be interesting in a dual 16k RAM bank at $4000..$7fff that could be toggled by writing bit 0 to $ffff.

Of course it would be nice to map 4k blocks also.

1 minute ago, karri said:

This RGB output sounds like a good thing on my unmodded PAL console.

In an earler post you said that it has 1MB RAM that can be mapped in numerous ways.

I would be interesting in a dual 16k RAM bank at $4000..$7fff that could be toggled by writing bit 0 to $ffff.

Of course it would be nice to map 4k blocks also.

Anything like that is possible.

The SOUPER mapper which has different memory map access depending on whether it has DMA read, etc, is particularly neat. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SainT said:

Yes, it will give RGB from a SECAM 7800. I'm not sure if there were specific SECAM versions of games? If so, you'd need to use PAL ones to get the correct colours.

French 7800's are PAL machines with a very rudimentary S-Video to RGB encoder on board. Should behave like a PAL machine. No idea how or if it chews on SECAM 2600 games though...

Edited by juansolo

On 2/2/2023 at 1:13 PM, juansolo said:

French 7800's are PAL machines with a very rudimentary S-Video to RGB encoder on board. Should behave like a PAL machine. No idea how or if it chews on SECAM 2600 games though...

Mine has a PAULA (PAL TIA) just like a later PAL 2600 would have. I'd guess it plays true SECAM 2600 games with an incorrect PAL 2600 palette?

5 hours ago, SmittyB said:

Seems like the only downside compared to the Dragonfly is that I'll have to go back to using the original power supply. This is all very exciting!

You can always cut the connector on the old PSU and use a new PSU! 😆 Or, what I’ve done, is modify the 7800 to take a barrel jack and use a regular PSU.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Mine has a PAULA (PAL TIA) just like a later PAL 2600 would have. I'd guess it plays true SECAM 2600 games with an incorrect PAL 2600 palette?

Currently I just had PAL and NTSC palettes, but I can add SECAM no problem.

1 hour ago, SainT said:

Currently I just had PAL and NTSC palettes, but I can add SECAM no problem.

I would think if you are trying for completeness, you may want to add the additional feature to add a SECAM palette to the 2600 side. I'm not sure it's truly practically needed though. Generally, it sounds like the B&W palette used on some Atari PAL 2600 cartridges was actually designed to be mapped for 8-color SECAM 2600 and not actually PAL B&W. But your use case is probably more to support the curiosity ROMs of SECAM games sold for a very short time in France and limited support in some 2600 homebrews.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

I would think if you are trying for completeness, you may want to add the additional feature to add a SECAM palette to the 2600 side. I'm not sure it's truly practically needed though. Generally, it sounds like the B&W palette used on some Atari PAL 2600 cartridges was actually designed to be mapped for 8-color SECAM 2600 and not actually PAL B&W. But your use case is probably more to support the curiosity ROMs of SECAM games sold for a very short time in France and limited support in some 2600 homebrews.

It’s easy enough to add, and the 7800 had a similar messy SECAM bodge which I should support for completeness. For the 2600, though, I’d need to allow the selection of the palette before the game is run as there is no way to break in and alter it currently.