IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 3/4/2022 at 5:20 AM, SainT said:

and I'm also thinking of including the RGB out as part of the GD cart rather than a separate board.

Please consider offering a reduced-cost version WITHOUT RGB output. In NTSC-land, native RGB displays are almost non-existent, and use of RGB requires jumping through a mess of adapters, dongles, cables, and scalers.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Please consider offering a reduced-cost version WITHOUT RGB output. In NTSC-land, native RGB displays are almost non-existent, and use of RGB requires jumping through a mess of adapters, dongles, cables, and scalers.

I'd concur here, as there's going to be a large segment who might wish to use the RGB board with their own carts.  But if you cannot procure the material to make said board...

16 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I'm not going to have multiple SKU's for a product, it's a complete pain. And price wise the RGB side of things doesn't add a massive amount to the cost as it's really just adding a socket and a line driver. It's going to be a case of if you don't need it, just don't use it!

It makes a lot of sense to have the RGB out on the cart as everything required to actually build the frame and generate the signal is actually already there, there just needs to be a way to output it. Well, theoretically anyway, there's one signal not present at the cart edge which would be handy, but I think I can work around that ok.

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I'd concur here, as there's going to be a large segment who might wish to use the RGB board with their own carts.  But if you cannot procure the material to make said board...

Now this is a different proposition! I am still planning on producing a separate RGB board for those who wish to be able to have RGB out for their other carts. What with parts shortages and everything, it's all become a bit of a pain to say the least, but I'll figure the best way to do it.

I would say look on RGB out on the 7800GD as a bonus (assuming I can make it happen). The vast majority of people like a plug and play solution. This would not only provide a simple way to play all (well, the vast majority, if not *all*) 7800 and 2600 games on one device, it would also add the ability to view them as best you can.

Oh, and I forgot to add, when doing RGB out on the cart, it also gives me the ability to generate and output stereo audio for POKEY and YM and have that all ready to use with a nice Mega Drive 2 mini-din. So it really is quite an attractive solution for the masses.

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, thegamezmaster said:

Is there a link to buy one of these? I tried to find, getting old. lol

Not finished yet, no. :)

I would say it should be available sometime this summer. Parts shortages are playing havoc in so many ways at the moment, I'm currently trying to figure out what alternatives I can use for parts which are not otherwise unavailable until 2023. And even then only in small numbers. ?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SainT said:

I would say it should be available sometime this summer. Parts shortages are playing havoc in so many ways at the moment, I'm currently trying to figure out what alternatives I can use for parts which are not otherwise unavailable until 2023. And even then only in small numbers. ?

Thanks for the info. Hope things get going better for you on this.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:28 PM, SainT said:

Well you have a day one purchase from me that is for sure. This thing is awesome!! :) 

• Like 6

How could any 7800 player or developer resist?  Buying one at the very least.   Having hardware support that covers all known homebrews and retail games, and then some, in addition to an on-screen menu for selection, is absolutely perfect.  Very much looking forward to owning the 7800GD.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Trebor said:

How could any 7800 player or developer resist?  Buying one at the very least.   Having hardware support the covers all known homebrews and retail games, and then some, in addition to an on-screen menu for selection, is absolutely perfect.  Very much looking forward to owning the 7800GD.

Support for R&V will be a big selling point for those that didn't get a copy for sure. That cart is slated to pack one hell of a punch as you noted.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

Support for R&V will be a big selling point for those that didn't get a copy for sure. That cart is slated to pack one hell of a punch as you noted.

So how is this working actually? I understand that it supports the game, but has the rom been released or will it be for sale? I own it already so it's not the only appeal to me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

So how is this working actually? I understand that it supports the game, but has the rom been released or will it be for sale? I own it already so it's not the only appeal to me. 

I think the files required to run it on the 7800GD will be added as part of the humble bundle or steam or whatever. It requires the audio in a different format for use, so those are extra files, but the ROM itself is actually in the PC release already if you look for it. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

3 hours ago, SainT said:

I think the files required to run it on the 7800GD will be added as part of the humble bundle or steam or whatever. It requires the audio in a different format for use, so those are extra files, but the ROM itself is actually in the PC release already if you look for it. :)

Yeah, there seems to be really poor awareness that the game's binary is included with the Windows release - but it is (and the file hierarchy is documented here), that's how people have been running it on the MiSTer.

The audio format change is just rendering all of the BupChip's scripted music tracks as PCM streams, so those will be included with a software update on both Steam and Humble Bundle. That means if you already bought the digital version of the game, you own a copy that can be used with the 7800GD. It also means others can (more easily) use our weird custom hardware to develop games.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TailChao said:

The audio format change is just rendering all of the BupChip's scripted music tracks as PCM streams, so those will be included with a software update on both Steam and Humble Bundle. That means if you already bought the digital version of the game, you own a copy that can be used with the 7800GD. It also means others can (more easily) use our weird custom hardware to develop games.

I will release the tools required to convert the BupChip audio into the streamed format required by the 7800, also. So any future BupSystem games will also be playable on the 7800GD.

• Like 9

On 3/13/2022 at 1:22 PM, Shawn said:

This is one of my main reasons for getting one even though I already have a concerto. 

On 3/14/2022 at 11:55 AM, SainT said:

I will release the tools required to convert the BupChip audio into the streamed format required by the 7800, also. So any future BupSystem games will also be playable on the 7800GD.

Thank you, this is phenomenal! This and the RGB option I'll have to get this cart. I'm ready with a scart switch and framemeister.