IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

38 minutes ago, SparkTR said:

Will the AV out work on a 7800 that has the S Video mod installed?

Yes, it's entirely separate from the console. The video out from the console can even be broken as long as the Maria chip is functioning correctly and you'll get a perfect RGB picture.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SainT said:

Yes, it's entirely separate from the console. The video out from the console can even be broken as long as the Maria chip is functioning correctly and you'll get a perfect RGB picture.

I've got an RF PAL 7800 and an S-video modded NTSC 7800 here if you're looking for someone in the UK to help test the cart ;)

(well this method worked when helping you test the NGPC cart you did!)

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 2:37 PM, Mayhem said:

I've got an RF PAL 7800 and an S-video modded NTSC 7800 here if you're looking for someone in the UK to help test the cart ;)

(well this method worked when helping you test the NGPC cart you did!)

Indeed, I remember the NeoPocket testing! That was a while ago. :)

I think I'm sorted for testers now, but will give you a shout if I need more.

The RGB out is really exciting.  I know the answer to my question is probably no, but I will ask it anyway.  Does the cartridge in Atari 2600 mode run the homebrew games that require the Harmony to run?  It would be really awesome to play the new Zoo Keeper, Qyx, Mappy, Ladybug Arcade, etc on the RGB output.  If it can not run those games, is that something that can be done in the future?

5 minutes ago, killersquirel said:

The RGB out is really exciting.  I know the answer to my question is probably no, but I will ask it anyway.  Does the cartridge in Atari 2600 mode run the homebrew games that require the Harmony to run?  It would be really awesome to play the new Zoo Keeper, Qyx, Mappy, Ladybug Arcade, etc on the RGB output.  If it can not run those games, is that something that can be done in the future?

If those are the DPC+ games, then no, it will never run those. I don't have an ARM chip on the cart, so there's no way to get those running. Sorry!

Everything else 2600 wise is possible, though. The majority of commercial games are working fine. There's just a handful of mappers which I've yet to implement.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, karri said:

I am of course curious about the two 16k RAM blocks mapper and the 4k blocks that get mapped like in the SN cart. Do you plan to implement them also? (without the flip features)

I could add that, yes. I'm lacking on space in the FPGA for the SN audio, but the banking stuff I could add if people want it.

6 minutes ago, SainT said:

I could add that, yes. I'm lacking on space in the FPGA for the SN audio, but the banking stuff I could add if people want it.

I am not too familiar with the other existing banking schemes. Actually any nice scheme that allows me to load in blocks from ROM to RAM would be ok. As I am familiar with the SN by now I know that I could create demos and perhaps even complete levels on the 7800GD. It might also be a good tool for creating good quality videos using the RGB output. Currently I own only a RF output PAL 7800.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, karri said:

I am not too familiar with the other existing banking schemes. Actually any nice scheme that allows me to load in blocks from ROM to RAM would be ok. As I am familiar with the SN by now I know that I could create demos and perhaps even complete levels on the 7800GD. It might also be a good tool for creating good quality videos using the RGB output. Currently I own only a RF output PAL 7800.

Have a look at the existing mappers out there, I suspect there will be functionality which will already do what you want. There are lots of bank switching schemes with and without RAM. The mappers which allow a different memory space setup for Maria and CPU are good, such as BupChip and BankSet.

Any situation where you want a decent quality video out from the 7800, the GD works very well. :)

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, SainT said:

The mappers which allow a different memory space setup for Maria and CPU are good, such as BupChip and BankSet.

Actually I need different RAM memory space setups for Maria and CPU. In this way I can dump all my tiles to Maria RAM and all music plus sound effects to CPU RAM. I will toggle the RAM when the IRQ arrives. This leaves the ROM area free for moving sprites like hero, enemies and npc's. I also like the 4k blocks as it allows me to have a lot of variations in the animations. Plus I get rid of unused stuff when I have used them. So far the banksets I have seen use bigger blocks. Typically 16k. But perhaps there is a 4k block mapper out there.

I also prefer to think of the blocks as character animation space. Like:

$a000 hero
$c000 enemy

$e000 npc (or enemy in other orientation)

The other blocks like $8000, $9000, $b000, $d000, $f000 can be static. Is there such a mapper already?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I'm doing recently some timing test with YM2151 on DragonFly and emulators.

@SainT I was wondering if you could test both files on GD7800 and let me know if you can hear any difference.

Thanks

No discernible difference to my ears, just fast as I was running on NTSC. 😆

If you need I can do an audio grab of both.

Edited by SainT
  • Thanks 1

OK. I trust your ears ;) 

YM2151 manual saying that you need wait 68 internal clocks before writing next byte (about 35 Sally cycles)

But I couldn't find any more details, only I found about YM2612

I am quite confident from viewing the die shots, and it seems to be sufficiently confirmed from testing, that whenever you write a data value, BUSY gets set, and gets cleared exactly 32 cycles later. On the die shot it's just a 5-stage counter, not connected to anything else.

https://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386&start=825

For demos every cycle count :D 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eagle said:

OK. I trust your ears ;) 

YM2151 manual saying that you need wait 68 internal clocks before writing next byte (about 35 Sally cycles)

But I couldn't find any more details, only I found about YM2612

https://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386&start=825

For demos every cycle count :D 

Ah, interesting! You would be able to confirm that from the JT51 source code on GitHub as the GD uses JT's YM core. In fact I just had a quick look at it and it confirms "busy lasts for 32 synth clock cycles", so long as I'm looking at the right busy. :)

@SainT Just one more to test if you don't mind.

Now is not about timing, it's just to compare how is play against original.

2 versions Pal and Ntsc (with sign :D )  just in case with console you are using

also link for JS7800 (if anyone want to listen)

Studiopolis YM2151 music

WAV generate from VGM for comparison

Thanks

StudiopolisYM(NTSC).a78 StudiopolisYM(PAL).a78

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 3