IGNORED

The 7800GD (New 7800 Flash Cartridge?)

SainT

Do you really want one?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in buying a 7800 SD cart (expected price around £60-£70)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

It's still on my radar, I'm just getting the NeoGeo Pocket cart ready for sale at the moment, then it's onto the Jag, then I'll see what's next! I have some CD consoles in mind as well as the 7800 at the moment. Quite what order they will happen in, I'm not sure yet. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

The Concerto has some bugs to work out but is a mostly complete design. It might be a better use of SainT's time and talent to get a HOKEY in production. I'm guessing that with the delays of the Concerto, a HOKEY is going to be even farther down the road. The HOKEY is something we could use right now. My wish list by the way, would be for the HOKEY to replicate all POKEY functions plus offer stereo POKEY.

• Like 2

I'd probably either do this fully or not really. I was planning on pokey support built into the cpld which would be needed for full mapper support. Either way I'll re-evaluate what's happening when I finish the Jag cart. :)

I thought that someone was selling the hokey chips, already too?

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

I'd probably either do this fully or not really. I was planning on pokey support built into the cpld which would be needed for full mapper support. Either way I'll re-evaluate what's happening when I finish the Jag SD. :)

I thought that someone was selling the hokey chips, already too?

The very person who was working on the Concerto, also developed the Hokey.

If you're going to use a CPLD, you might as well program in the Pokey support. Powerpak and Everdrive emulated multiple expansion chips quite effectively on them. Perhaps dual Pokey homebrews could even become a reality (by writing to multiple registers). Four Pokeys and one could even simulate the Bach pipe organ melody from Gyruss! :lust:

• Like 2

I think I'm right in thinking that to make a 2600 and 7800 compatible cart you'd just need to include an adapter which adapts the physical connector between consoles? You obviously cant have external audio (POKEY) support on the 2600 unless the audio was external to the console (ie. phono out), but otherwise there's no reason you cant create an all-in-one cart.

Which becomes more interesting to me.

• Like 2

It's a shame things like this come and go -- I'm doing my best here to try and keep everything I do available for the foreseeable future. The CC2 however didn't run on the 2600, which was the CC1 did. I'm fairly sure I could do something which would run on 2600 and 7800.

The 7800 natively supports 2600 carts, so an adapter is not needed. I think that is what is being referred to here by supporting 2600 games. Also, I don't *think* it's possible to use Pokey in 2600 games (of course someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The 7800 natively supports 2600 carts, so an adapter is not needed. I think that is what is being referred to here by supporting 2600 games. Also, I don't *think* it's possible to use Pokey in 2600 games (of course someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Conversely, is it possible to do something short of a full POKEY - say, like Pitfall II's DPC chip - for the 7800? Or even (*gasp*) Darrell Spice's ARM-based DPC+ kernel for the 7800? Think of the ARM-enhanced 7800 titles that might be done ...

Yeah, I'm talking about having a single cart which will work on 2600 and 7800. I am aware the 7800 is backwardly compatible with the 2600 -- there's just an extra few pins on the 7800 for external audio in, the HALT line and address lines.

You could have a POKEY on a 2600 game, but you could not have the audio coming through the TV, it would have to be external (ie. it's missing the external audio in pin from the 7800). But regardless this would be homebrew only, so I'm thinking largely irrelevant anyway...

• Like 2

Conversely, is it possible to do something short of a full POKEY - say, like Pitfall II's DPC chip - for the 7800? Or even (*gasp*) Darrell Spice's ARM-based DPC+ kernel for the 7800? Think of the ARM-enhanced 7800 titles that might be done ...

The DPC looked easy enough to implement in hardware last time I looked. I wouldn't have any kind of micro doing the work though, it'd all be done in hardware.

Yeah, I'm talking about having a single cart which will work on 2600 and 7800. I am aware the 7800 is backwardly compatible with the 2600 -- there's just an extra few pins on the 7800 for external audio in, the HALT line and address lines.

You could have a POKEY on a 2600 game, but you could not have the audio coming through the TV, it would have to be external (ie. it's missing the external audio in pin from the 7800). But regardless this would be homebrew only, so I'm thinking largely irrelevant anyway...

unless you make the 7800 pins retractable, it's physically impossible to have a 7800 cart even be able to plug into a 2600 cart slot.
  • Like 1

unless you make the 7800 pins retractable, it's physically impossible to have a 7800 cart even be able to plug into a 2600 cart slot.

I think this is why Saint mentioned an adapter. To allow the 7800 SD cart to fit into the 2600.

• Like 1

Ah I understand what you want to do now (sorry). I didn't know how familiar you were with the 7800. :P

On 5/2/2017 at 1:35 PM, owen2471 said:

Any news on the jaguar sd ?

I'm about to get stuck into the Jag again. Have been busy finalising the NeoGeo Pocket cart. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

Well assuming the mixing circuitry for the sound input pin on the 7800 socket remains active in 2600 mode, there is no reason why 2600 software with extra pins cannot utilize it when played on a 7800. The downside is that you have a 2600 game that can only be played using a 7800 console.

I think I'm right in thinking that to make a 2600 and 7800 compatible cart you'd just need to include an adapter which adapts the physical connector between consoles? You obviously cant have external audio (POKEY) support on the 2600 unless the audio was external to the console (ie. phono out), but otherwise there's no reason you cant create an all-in-one cart.

Which becomes more interesting to me.

To make a 7800 flash cart work on a 2600, you need a pin adapter or a PCB with retractable pins. Further complicating things, once booted into 2600 mode, the 7800 cannot be made to re-enable 7800 mode. You can however go from 7800 mode to 2600 mode via software.

So in order to make a dual mode cart work, it would need to be flashed with two firmware images, one for 2600 and one for 7800. Then you need a foolproof method to select the correct firmware when inserted. So much simpler to just have a 7800 mode menu that can flash both 2600 and 7800 software, and possibly make a separate 2600 cart.