IGNORED

black and White display issues..

m-crew

Have an issue with one of my intellivisions 2609 only displaying in black n white(very little colour) Once after a few hours of play. The colour came back. But that only happened once.

Any ideas of what is causing that problem or where to look first..

Thanks in advance.

Tried to search here and on-line but found very little info on this problem..

Retro, that's what I have for tv right now. I use rabbit ears(equivalent) and receive the best HD quality for free(not compressed then expanded) and well over 30 channels . Something the cable and satellite companies don't want you to know.. over 7 years of free HD TV... :)

Edited by m-crew

Retro, that's what I have for tv right now. I use rabbit ears(equivalent) and receive the best HD quality for free(not compressed then expanded) and well over 30 channels . Something the cable and satellite companies don't want you to know.. over 7 years of free HD TV... :)

I'm right there with ya. I've not had cable/satellite for 13 years.

Well, unless you count my many hotel nights while on business trips

• Like 1

Antenna HD. That and Netflix. :)

On the color issue, though not a definitive answer, I would go over the solder joints around the RF modulator. Really, I'd go over them pretty much everywhere while I was in there. You'll have to remove the shield to do it so once it's off might as well go crazy.

Kinda' sounds like time = heat = expansion = better connection = loose joint somewhere to me.

• Like 1

Antenna HD. That and Netflix. :)

On the color issue, though not a definitive answer, I would go over the solder joints around the RF modulator. Really, I'd go over them pretty much everywhere while I was in there. You'll have to remove the shield to do it so once it's off might as well go crazy.

Kinda' sounds like time = heat = expansion = better connection = loose joint somewhere to me.

Yup, I think your right on both thoughts, if I tap the console around the RF modulator. I get the colour to come back.. once I get a chance and time ill tackle that..

I'm right there with ya. I've not had cable/satellite for 13 years.

Well, unless you count my many hotel nights while on business trips

Most friends that come by here and see the quality of the HD and find out its free end up cancelling there cable/satellite subscription. lol For the area I live best position for most channels received is at 194 degrees.

There was a similar discussion here. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255678-strange-problem-with-an-intellivision-2/

Here is a section from the Service Manual troubleshooting guide https://console5.com/techwiki/index.php?title=Intellivision

post-43287-0-82394100-1473508128_thumb.jpg

There's a couple of capacitors directly connected to the colour chip (AY-3-8915) and a bunch of resistors between the colour chip and the rf modulator.

In 1981/82 our second television was a 19" black and white, we played the Intellivision on it; no problem.

• Like 1

There was a similar discussion here. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255678-strange-problem-with-an-intellivision-2/

Here is a section from the Service Manual troubleshooting guide https://console5.com/techwiki/index.php?title=Intellivision

attachicon.gifint_troublecolor.jpg

There's a couple of capacitors directly connected to the colour chip (AY-3-8915) and a bunch of resistors between the colour chip and the rf modulator.

In 1981/82 our second television was a 19" black and white, we played the Intellivision on it; no problem.

Thanks for the link..

Have an issue with one of my intellivisions 2609 only displaying in black n white(very little colour) Once after a few hours of play. The colour came back. But that only happened once.

Any ideas of what is causing that problem or where to look first..

Thanks in advance.

Tried to search here and on-line but found very little info on this problem..

LOL I saw this and thought you were trying to play on a back and white TV LOL

• Like 1

Usually if the RF signal is slightly out of tuning you can lose the colour. If fine tuning the TV doesn't help, the problem is probably in the RF modulator.

The RF modulator in the Intellivision has a couple of pots for adjusting it (one is audio, one is video - the one closest to the channel selector is the video adjustment), you could try tweaking the video pot and see if it brings the colour back.

C2 is a variable 5-50pF capacitor for the X1 video crystal circuit, you might tweak that too and see if it helps. Checking the capacitors C1 and C33 might be a good idea if you still get no joy. Having access to an oscilloscope the check the frequency being fed to the AY-3-8915 color PROM would be helpful.

Otherwise a composite video mod or replacing the RF modulator is the way to go.

- J

Edited by HunterZero
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have just moved back to the UK after 9 years in the US and have finally got round to getting my Intellivision out and ready to play. I connected it to the back of the TV via the ANT but nothing happened. I tried it on another TV and after tuning the TV channels I got it to work but the display was black and white. Is there a better way to connect it to my TV? I apologise in advance now but I'm not very tech savvy. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am due to have an op on January 10th and I NEED my Intellivision to help keep me sane by keeping me away from daytime TV..