IGNORED

RCA Studio II Multicart

flip

Originally I was supposed to receive my box yesterday - I started tracking it quite often once I saw that folks on here started receiving theirs. ;) And then it was delayed. So it arrived this afternoon, and I have to say that it was well worth the anticipation that built up due to the additional wait! The box looks AMAZING! You did such a GREAT job with it. I love how shiny and new it looks yet how classic and retro it feels. It feels as if it were 1977 and I had just bought one of the original games for the first time. It blends in nicely with the originals. Now I want to collect more original boxed games. Well done!

Also I took a chance and bought an as-is console and eBay and fortunately it works! I've been able to finally play the multicart too and absolutely LOVE it! Really brings the RCA S2 to life!

• Like 3

Thanks guys! :) glad everyone is liking the boxes! Very happy to be part of this project!

Edit: all box orders are all paid now. Last 2 orders should ship tomorrow. Anyone else who wants 1 let me know, I will make a few more if they are wanted. ;)

Edited by stupus

Hi Flip .

Is still possible to order the multicasts with shell label and manuals ? i'm interested in buying them for me and for the italian Jagfest team...i'm interested in buying 3 of them .
i live in italy and carts should be sent here . This spring we will made the next italian jagfest ,it could be great to put the Studio II near the Channel F with both multicasts...
If it is still possible please tell how much it will cost and how much time you need to prepare them...i could be interested also in the boxes do you have them or i must ask Stupus ?

Flip is sending me a cart without a shell. Very excited. I plan to take apart one of my other cartridges as a donor shell for this, but my question is what is the easiest way to take these cartridges apart? I've taken apart dozens of Commodore cartridges (C64 and VIC-20) which are held together with screws and plastic tabs. Studio II cartridges, on the other hand, appear to be held together with rivets. I don't see an obvious way of taking it apart without damaging the cartridge. Is there something I am missing?

Flip is sending me a cart without a shell. Very excited. I plan to take apart one of my other cartridges as a donor shell for this, but my question is what is the easiest way to take these cartridges apart? I've taken apart dozens of Commodore cartridges (C64 and VIC-20) which are held together with screws and plastic tabs. Studio II cartridges, on the other hand, appear to be held together with rivets. I don't see an obvious way of taking it apart without damaging the cartridge. Is there something I am missing?

The 4 copper rivets need to be drilled out. Don't think there's any other way to take them out. If you take a drill that slightly wider than the rivet hole, it's not too hard and there shouldn't be any damage to the shell itself.

Once they're out, take out the old PCB, clean off the stickers and put the new ones on. Then you'll need to drill two holes for the dials and put the shell together again... In the shells that I modified, I re-used two rivets. I glued these in the top holes. For the bottom ones, I used a copper screw thread insert (see photo) that just fits the hole left by the rivet and a matching screw. That way, the cart can be opened without needing holes in the stickers...

FliP

post-41391-0-45599900-1482351292_thumb.jpg

Edited by flip

• 2 weeks later...

I'm noticing some glitches with my console. In Space Invaders, I can't move left or right. I cleaned the cartridge port contacts several times with an air can. Initially right after booting it up, I could move the ship left or right. But slowly it stopped being able to move. In Kaboom I can move left or right but there are moments where it's sluggish. Berserk seems to crash after a while. Pac-Man works flawlessly. Is something up with my unit?

I can't see why your console would behave like that. Every reset/power up should be a fresh start. There may be some bugs in the games but not something that obvious. So if you reset Space Invaders it should work again even if there is a bug.

Most of the other games (all ?) use the built in Chip-8 type language which uses memory in a very specific way, whereas my games use it in different ways. Maybe a stuck bit in the data RAM memory or something ?

I can't see why your console would behave like that. Every reset/power up should be a fresh start. There may be some bugs in the games but not something that obvious. So if you reset Space Invaders it should work again even if there is a bug.

Most of the other games (all ?) use the built in Chip-8 type language which uses memory in a very specific way, whereas my games use it in different ways. Maybe a stuck bit in the data RAM memory or something ?

It's odd to me as well. I just tried it and the ship in Invaders won't move at all, but it does fire. An odd pattern I've noticed is that if I spray the cartridge port with an air can and then put the multicart in and power it up, the ship does move left and right and works fine for maybe under a minute before the ship slowly stops responding. I was wondering if it was something buggy with my console or perhaps an issue with the cartridge port. From the looks of things there might be hair and other debris deep inside that I'm not reaching. I was thinking of acquiring another console in the future and comparing.