IGNORED

Atari Flashback 7

• 2 weeks later...

These consoles serve their purpose, but agree with others that these needed HDMI awhile back. Obviously they are still selling enough to make more, but I hope that feedback can get back to a design team to influence a better flashback console in the future. I am going to be purchasing the handheld.

I've never gotten one of these Flashback systems and I'm thinking about getting my niece and nephew one for Christmas. I'd like them to have wired controllers though. I was looking at atgames accessories and noticed that it says the wired controller is compatible with Flashback 3 and 4 and the paddle controllers are compatible with 4, 5, and 6. Seems odd, I would think they would be compatible with the 7 as well. Did they just forget to update their site? Also are these exactly the same as the originals?

I've never gotten one of these Flashback systems and I'm thinking about getting my niece and nephew one for Christmas. I'd like them to have wired controllers though. I was looking at atgames accessories and noticed that it says the wired controller is compatible with Flashback 3 and 4 and the paddle controllers are compatible with 4, 5, and 6. Seems odd, I would think they would be compatible with the 7 as well. Did they just forget to update their site? Also are these exactly the same as the originals?

It's just a site update issue. It works on the 3 - 7, plus original consoles.

No, it's not exactly the same as original Atari 2600 joysticks. It's less stiff. I do think it's an improvement.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've collected these in the past but I think I am done buying these until an HDMI version is released. I'll be picking up the NES this year though.

I collected the Flashback up to the second one.

The first one was cool with the fake 2600 and 7800 titles.

The second one was bought in the hopes of upgrading it with the cartridge port.

After that they were just game systems with built in games that seem to increase in number like five here and five there. I think this time around there is one more game than the last time?

But while I didn't buy the Flashback 3 through 7 I am thankful it helped pave the way for my latest favorite, the Flashback Portable. :D SD card support is long overdue. Get the A/V cable going, see if I can hack a joystick port... :D

• Like 2

DOLLAR GENERAL has the ATARI FLASHBACK 7 for $28 ( it is normally priced $40) Free shipping if you spend > $40

http://www.dollargeneral.com//toys/video-games-electronics.html

Sale ends Wednesday 11/23/2016

Also they have the SEGA GENESIS CLASSIC SYSTEM CONSOLE for $28 as well.

I was kind of hoping it would be $20. Maybe on Thanksgiving or black Friday? I'm going to wait and see...

The only changes from last year are the changes in the game list, correct? Seems like a lot of negative reviews on Amazon, etc. and I do not remember previous versions being that bad.

Yes, the only change is Secret Quest working and the addition of a new port of Frogger. Most of the criticisms are about the infrared wireless controllers.

• Like 1

So does anyone have this yet? How bad is the lag?

What lag? From the infrared controllers? If it's anything like the Flashback 5 (which it is), the lag is negligible but you need continuous line of sight to the transmitter unless you use wired controllers. Lag on the screen? That depends on your television. It's negligible on my old CRT and on my modern plasma, where image quality is nicer than the original Atari VCS ever was -- no RF noise anymore is nice to have.

• 2 months later...

It took Alex Walker on Kotaku four months to find the Atari Flashback 7, and concluded that Atari follows in the footsteps of Nintendo, blissfully unaware that the Flashback series date back to 2004. It took eight minutes for someone to correct him on that fact...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/02/atari-does-a-nintendo-classic-mini-nes-with-the-atari-flashback/

• Like 1

It took Alex Walker on Kotaku four months to find the Atari Flashback 7, and concluded that Atari follows in the footsteps of Nintendo, blissfully unaware that the Flashback series date back to 2004. It took eight minutes for someone to correct him on that fact...

LOL, the commenters ripped him a new one for being so lame.

Let me offer him a [weak] defense: he's probably a kid, doesn't know jack about Atari. He also didn't buy or try it, he's just regurgitating some press release that he saw somewhere. Journalism!

LOL, the commenters ripped him a new one for being so lame.

Let me offer him a [weak] defense: he's probably a kid, doesn't know jack about Atari. He also didn't buy or try it, he's just regurgitating some press release that he saw somewhere. Journalism!

I agree to an extent, but it makes you wonder what he thought the "7" meant. I realize we can't place typical journalistic standards on people who have to pump out multiple blog posts a day, but there has to at least be some minimum of thought put into it.

I suspect because of what's going to be released by AtGames later this year, there will be better people put on the coverage, so I would expect to see fewer of those types of stories.

Or perhaps it finally just came to Australia. But I'm done giving some content farm dude the benefit of the doubt. :-)

I'm sure it did just come there, which is fine, but again, I would hope the "7" would make most people wonder just a little bit before writing a lazy "copying Nintendo" piece. I mean, you would think it would be relatively easy to also stumble upon the history of plug n plays, which go back in quantity to at least the late 1990s, so a good two decades. Of course, there's also the countless other reviews of the 7 and the previous products, so again, no matter how rushed, you would think a single Google search would kind of reveal everything needed.

With the above in mind, perhaps the "copying Nintendo" narrative was just too enticing and more click-bait worthy than simply saying "for the first time in Australia."

By the way, out of curiosity, I looked at Walker's other articles for Kotaku Australia, and hoo-boy... I think that explains a lot.

• Like 2

To be honest, a lot of average people had no idea this sort of devices exist on the market at all - or they were not interested to find out - until Nintendo released the NES Classic Mini and got plenty of free publicity in nearly every newspaper and website you can imagine would have the faintest reason to write about it. Whether that will mean those average people will be interested in other products than those from Big N, time will tell.

Yeah, I see how that's not very clear.

I meant like "dude who works for a content farm"

Not "contented farmer dude"

In the future, I shall endeavor for more clarity when pontificating about video games

I knew exactly what ya meant...That's why it'd make a Great Band name! Because only people in the know would pronounce it correctly at first...

• Like 1